Calling DR from the UK

carl.r

Oct 22, 2007
ive had no problems calling sosua using 001 809 every day, and im stuck in the middle of the north sea on an oil tanker

yalangi

Sep 23, 2008
Ive been reading about the caller from UK having trouble phoning to D.R. with numbers 829. Is their problem solved yet?

Im in Australia and having difficulty calling my daughter who bought her phone when she arrived in D.R. in September, 2008. The number starts with 829. That is what she told me when she called to give me her number.

If this is an area code, can I also phone 809 instead? Ive had some success when calling some friends she met, by dialling 00111 then the area code 809 then their mobile number, but when i try to do this with my daughters number, Im not getting through.

She has her phone with Orange Dominicana and after 829 is the next 3 digits are 886. These are the combinations Ive used +1 829 886 ---- 00111 829 886 ----, then 00111 809 886 ----/+1 809 886 ----. I even tried 00111 809 829 886 ---- Of course I can't post the full number, but the dashes obviously mean the remaining digits of her mobile number. My phone company in Australia told me that I would need to use these combinations either +1 or 00111. And it works for any other number i call except ANY numbers where i am required to put 829 as area code. Ive tried to contact Orange Dominicana, but I can't speak Spanish.

Can somebody please help me? Its been a bit distressing when I can't get hold of her, especially during the time the hurricanes were coming very close.
I would appreciate any help you can give me. thanks.

laura h

Oct 1, 2003
i just bought a "COBRA" card from the local newsagent. it costs me ?4.50 and gives me 300 mins......(from my mobile to a mobile) but ive used loads of diff cards in the past.

the newsagents often have posters on the windows of various calling cards - i just look for one that says dom rep and buy it!!

Sanation

May 21, 2007
Ive been reading about the caller from UK having trouble phoning to D.R. with numbers 829. Is their problem solved yet?

Im in Australia and having difficulty calling my daughter who bought her phone when she arrived in D.R. in September, 2008. The number starts with 829. That is what she told me when she called to give me her number.

If this is an area code, can I also phone 809 instead? Ive had some success when calling some friends she met, by dialling 00111 then the area code 809 then their mobile number, but when i try to do this with my daughters number, Im not getting through.

She has her phone with Orange Dominicana and after 829 is the next 3 digits are 886. These are the combinations Ive used +1 829 886 ---- 00111 829 886 ----, then 00111 809 886 ----/+1 809 886 ----. I even tried 00111 809 829 886 ---- Of course I can't post the full number, but the dashes obviously mean the remaining digits of her mobile number. My phone company in Australia told me that I would need to use these combinations either +1 or 00111. And it works for any other number i call except ANY numbers where i am required to put 829 as area code. Ive tried to contact Orange Dominicana, but I can't speak Spanish.

Can somebody please help me? Its been a bit distressing when I can't get hold of her, especially during the time the hurricanes were coming very close.
I would appreciate any help you can give me. thanks.

Yalangi - I've sent you a PM

carl.r

Oct 22, 2007
i call dom rep from the uk daily, never have problems with 001 809, or 001 829 to a mobile phone

Sanation

May 21, 2007
I was speaking to a friend yesterday who used to work in the telecommunications industry. They told me that you will not be able to reach some numbers (ie. 829 in the DR) unless the telephone company you are using (Telstra for example) have added the 'new' prefix to their database. They told me that not only did they have have to register the 829 but also the next three digits.

I have had a number of calls from Australia on my 829 cell number. They called either using a prepaid calling card (calling from Oz you can purchase these on the internet from Phone Card Selector - Free Service to find the cheapest Australian Phone Cards Calling Cards ) or using their mobile. My partners' family has tried to call a few times from their Telstra home line and have not been able to get through.

I hope that this information is useful.

yalangi

Sep 23, 2008
I was speaking to a friend yesterday who used to work in the telecommunications industry. They told me that you will not be able to reach some numbers (ie. 829 in the DR) unless the telephone company you are using (Telstra for example) have added the 'new' prefix to their database. They told me that not only did they have have to register the 829 but also the next three digits.

I have had a number of calls from Australia on my 829 cell number. They called either using a prepaid calling card (calling from Oz you can purchase these on the internet from Phone Card Selector - Free Service to find the cheapest Australian Phone Cards Calling Cards ) or using their mobile. My partners' family has tried to call a few times from their Telstra home line and have not been able to get through.

That was exactly the information i needed to hear. Thanks.

clarkeyl

Aug 8, 2008
i call the DR everyday from london i was using cobra you a ?5 card get ?5 free credit. I now have an account with them and ?10 last for 600+ mins!! gd luck..ps i dial 001809 and have no problems getting trough.