Can someone take their girlfriend to USA for marriage and stay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Question: Can someone take their Dominican girlfriend on a tourist Visa to USA, get marriage while there, and stay?

And, can they stay in America on their Tourist Visa after they get married while they wait for there Green Card?

Frank

You can take her there and get married legally as long as she returns to the Dominican Republic before the expiration of her stay. I believe you then only have to file for the adjustment of status while your wife is here in the DR. Not sure if that would be faster or cheaper than applying for the K1 visa, but might be worth checking into(?).

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
I agree that the best way to go about it is the legal way, where, you take any decision away from the Immigration officer who can decide your fate while you are visiting on a Tourist Visa. It sounds like the Fiance K-1 Visa is really the best and safest method for someone who already has a Tourist Visa.

Now having said all that, look at how grey and conflicting this answer is from this excellent Visa Answer site (thanks Cavok), and tell me if this is not about as confusing, complicated and ambiguous as it gets: Here is the answer to the Visa/Marriage issue:

1.) Using a B-2 visitor visa to enter the U.S. with the intention of getting married and applying for a green card is a form of visa fraud. The visitor visa is a non-immigrant visa, whose proper use requires entering with the intention of returning home (or at least leaving the U.S.) by the date on the I-94 Arrival/Departure Record. This form of visa fraud can result in the immigrant being placed in removal proceedings from the U.S. rather than granted a green card.

2.) If you come to the U.S. as a visitor and only later decide to get married, that's a different matter -- you will be allowed to submit an application for a green card using the procedure known as "adjustment of status," meaning you would not have to leave the U.S. during the whole application process.

Frank

Frank,

it's not about the best way. It's all about the legal way. I believe everyone here has genuinely tried to help with their answers and I include those I don't agree with. I would ask you to re-read what CB posted about Visa fraud and not to focus on the marriage aspect of it.

If you are approved for a tourist Visa and overstay your welcome because you ended up getting married then good luck explaining to the government that this was all by chance and fate.

The current administration has immigration at their top of their agenda and they have made it very clear that they will not look the other way if they feel there is any type of Fraud.

The risks are just too high when that person can apply for the proper visa which to my understanding is not harder to obtain. There is just no point to doing any of this.

hope this helps

Last edited:

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
She already has a Tourist Visa. BUt i agree with you on the K-1 Visa, it's the way to go.

Frank

I replied before reading this.

Frank,

this is easier than expected since she has a Visa. Have her change the visa type.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
She already has a Tourist Visa. BUt i agree with you on the K-1 Visa, it's the way to go.

Frank

Only the people involved know their intention. If they are looking to get married, God bless them. If they are looking to scam, well, that's on them, and they will probably, maybe, probably be discovered. Who knows? Spinning it seven ways since last Tuesday, 'aint gonna change what they are going to do, or what people think about it. Coming to the States on a K1, sets you up in order. Coming to the States on the Tourist Visa and getting married, may open them up to further background investigations. Did she meet her husband when she arrived in the States, and got married a month later.....OR.....has she been in a longterm relationship with him, that can be documented.....photos, travel receipts, so on and so forth.
While typing this another thought popped into my head. How about transferring the Tourist Visa into a K1 visa, can that be done? If so, that may minimize the amount of scrutiny they may be put under. Just asking, as I'm not sure of that one.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Getting married in the US on a tourist visa is not a problem. If she already has a visa then the chances of finding immigration fraud are slim. USCIS has a process clearly defined how to adjust status once in the US. There are many who already have visas that marry in the US. At that point what the USCIS is interested in is that the marriage is legit.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
You can take her there and get married legally as long as she returns to the Dominican Republic before the expiration of her stay. I believe you then only have to file for the adjustment of status while your wife is here in the DR. Not sure if that would be faster or cheaper than applying for the K1 visa, but might be worth checking into(?).

I've known people that have gotten married under the K1, and remained in the States while awaiting for their adjustment of status. Dominican. Jamaican. Irish. Australian. Korean. Does the person have to return to their home country? I believe that's the difference with a K1, because it is a fiancée visa. You are bringing somebody to the States, who you plan on marrying, to visit your homeland, family, so on and so forth...blah, blah, blah. Does anybody who comes here on a K1 not get married, and just go home? Maybe 1 or 2 in the history of mankind.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Sanpedrogringo good point....back in the day when my spouses primo played baseball you would be shocked how many players who knew they really were not that good and probably had no chance to make it in pro ball would disappear at the end of the season. Once the visa is in hand many just stay. K1 visa is probably the same.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Question: Can someone take their Dominican girlfriend on a tourist Visa to USA, get marriage while there, and stay?

And, can they stay in America on their Tourist Visa after they get married while they wait for there Green Card?

Frank

Why not get married in Norway?

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011

This was a Grand Slam. Good job finding this Playacaribe2. If you look at the statistics, it doesn't seem that the Dominican Republic is being 'shorted' as it applies to visas, on a global scale. They may be a bit less than in the past (I'll have to numbers crunch a little later on), but they seem to be ahead of other nations. As long as the two parties involved don't have any shenanigans involved in their past, it should go smoothly with a K1.....as it always has, and always does....sin shenanigans.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
Sanpedrogringo good point....back in the day when my spouses primo played baseball you would be shocked how many players who knew they really were not that good and probably had no chance to make it in pro ball would disappear at the end of the season. Once the visa is in hand many just stay. K1 visa is probably the same.

I wouldn't be shocked. I'm from New York.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I've known people that have gotten married under the K1, and remained in the States while awaiting for their adjustment of status. Dominican. Jamaican. Irish. Australian. Korean. Does the person have to return to their home country? I believe that's the difference with a K1, because it is a fiancée visa. You are bringing somebody to the States, who you plan on marrying, to visit your homeland, family, so on and so forth...blah, blah, blah. Does anybody who comes here on a K1 not get married, and just go home? Maybe 1 or 2 in the history of mankind.

Yes, that is the exact, stated purpose of a K1 visa - to come to the US and get married. You have 90 days to do so. You must get married within those 90 days, or return to your home country. After getting married you can apply for an adjustment of status and remain for however long it takes to recieve your legal permanent resident status(green card).

I was referring to going to the US on a tourist visa and getting married. You can legally do so w/o problems as long as you return to your home country before the expiration of your tourist visa. You can then apply for a spousal visa. I've heard that spousal visas are easier and quicker to get than the K1.

Not sure if it would be cheaper, or less complicated than going the K1 route(?). One advantage is that you can do a DCF(direct consular filing) here which I've heard is much faster).

Or, you can stay in the US and try to scam the system by trying to convince immigration that it was never your intent to come to the US for immigration purposes. Good luck to whomever choses that route. Not worth the risk IMO.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Why not get married in Norway?

They would have to be a Norwegian citizen. They're not, and neither is the Dominican girl. Go figure!

The guy's name is Joe, well known in the Ju-Jitsu scene here in the DR. Lives here in Cabarete, Super nice guy, and from Rhode Island.

Thanks for everyone who answered all of the questions.

Frank

Last edited:
Not sure why the term "fraud" is being used when you can easily -and legally- change your status once and after you're married here in the states. There is not risk as long as you file the right documentation, provide all the proof recommended by the USCIS, and get approved before the tourist visa and your stay expires. As I mentioned before, I went thru the process without even using a lawyer and just followed the rules, my GF at the time had a tourist visa from way back and she'd travel to the US in many occasions prior to decide to get married and stay.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Not sure why the term "fraud" is being used when you can easily -and legally- change your status once and after you're married here in the states.

The fraud occurs at the border. A tourist visa is issued to allow a person to visit a country and then leave. If a person enters a country as a tourist but has it in their mind to get married, or to stay in the country even if they intend to file additional paperwork to do so, that's fraud. This is why immigration usually asks each traveler, how long they plan on staying in the country. If a traveler insinuates that they plan to leave when they do not, that's a lie.

Those who wish to enter a country and remain either forever, or for a lengthy period, have other visa options they can pursue, such as a fiancee visa, an education visa or a temporary residence visa.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Not sure why the term "fraud" is being used when you can easily -and legally- change your status once and after you're married here in the states. There is not risk as long as you file the right documentation, provide all the proof recommended by the USCIS, and get approved before the tourist visa and your stay expires. As I mentioned before, I went thru the process without even using a lawyer and just followed the rules, my GF at the time had a tourist visa from way back and she'd travel to the US in many occasions prior to decide to get married and stay.
Because fraud requires intent. In one comes to the US on a *tourist* visa with the *intent* to get married and a green card, that is flat-out fraud.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Frank, just get a good immigration attorney in the US and go from there. A bulletin board is not your best source of info.

By the way, are you still working for Rocky Aqua? I heard they are not doing too well.

Then the logic behind the change of status using the 485 form is not a legal method? This scenarios are contemplated on the USCIS process, if there was intent or not is not questionable as long as you follow the rules. Hey, we all do things that were not our original intent, and sometimes we do it knowing the consequences.

Status
Not open for further replies.