Can someone take their girlfriend to USA for marriage and stay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Then the logic behind the change of status using the 485 form is not a legal method? This scenarios are contemplated on the USCIS process, if there was intent or not is not questionable as long as you follow the rules. Hey, we all do things that were not our original intent, and sometimes we do it knowing the consequences.
Try telling an immigration officer your intent was to get married while on a tourist visa and applying for a change of status to gain residency and see how far that gets you.

You may not LIKE the laws, but they are in place for a reason.

Many, many---ourselves included---have gone through the system, looking for short cuts, only to understand that what appear to be shortcuts are fraudulent actions.

Honest Dominicans suffer because so many Dominicans have gamed the system.

It doesn't take a lawyer to understand that.

I had an intent to play a round of golf this morning, instead I end up working :( I did not tell my employer I had that intent, do we tell the cop our intent was to run the red light after we get pull over? We all make decisions on the flight, that's why there are ways out. I'm not arguing what the laws says, my point is that as long as we follow the rules there are other alternatives that can be used, a good lawyer will tell you the best way to handle a case based on experience and precedence. in my case we found that the easier way was to get married in the US and apply for a change of status, we did not break the law, otherwise the outcome would had been different.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Frank, just get a good immigration attorney in the US and go from there. A bulletin board is not your best source of info.

By the way, are you still working for Rocky Aqua? I heard they are not doing too well.

Yep, still here working on the weekends. We're not doing well, but neither is most people on the beach this time of the year. We're about at the same numbers as O'shays was last year at the same time. The off-season is tuff as nails. Just got tighten the belt, and try to work through it.

Frank

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I had an intent to play a round of golf this morning, instead I end up working :( I did not tell my employer I had that intent, do we tell the cop our intent was to run the red light after we get pull over? We all make decisions on the flight, that's why there are ways out. I'm not arguing what the laws says, my point is that as long as we follow the rules there are other alternatives that can be used, a good lawyer will tell you the best way to handle a case based on experience and precedence. in my case we found that the easier way was to get married in the US and apply for a change of status, we did not break the law, otherwise the outcome would had been different.

There are those that would argue that you just were not caught breaking the law, so you got away with it by taking what was "easier" for you. Another couple doing the very same thing might not be so lucky.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Yep, still here working on the weekends. We're not doing well, but neither is most people on the beach this time of the year. We're about at the same numbers as O'shays was last year at the same time. The off-season is tuff as nails. Just got tighten the belt, and try to work through it.

Frank

The off seasons are slower and slower every year from my perspective over 14 years of living in Cabarete. Not much reason to stay open if you have a restaurant on the beach. Are you considering a move to the US and then splitting time between there and Norway?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Well I think Frank has all the info he needed whether it was for himself or for verification and now we have moved to chit chat so I will close this because it has some good info for anyone searching in future.

Status
Not open for further replies.