Canada to Dominican Republic oneway ticket?

krwilson

Apr 18, 2008
Interesting, and was not aware of this fact. Why do they sell one way tickets then, I wonder. And if they readily sell one to you, and make no mention of these rules, I would be very upset when going to board my plane if they stopped me, for they sold me the ticket in the first place. Not trying to be pain, just musing, rules are to be followed.

montreal

Bronze
Apr 17, 2006
And if they readily sell one to you, and make no mention of these rules, I would be very upset when going to board my plane if they stopped me, for they sold me the ticket in the first place. Not trying to be pain, just musing, rules are to be followed.

At one point is it up to the traveller to inform themselves of what they may or may not need do (ie. have a valid passport, get the necesaary vaccines if need be etc..) But travel agents will usually ask if you are trying to purchase a one way.

Have a good night!

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
I arrived on a one way ticket with WestJet in mid March. Purchased the one way on their website, nothing was ever said or any problem encountered, flew into Puerto Plata nary any issue.

I wish it wasn't so confusing for the traveller. When you try to purchase a one way or return ticket on the westjet website, there is a warning stating...

"Visitors who wish to book flights online to the Dominican Republic must purchase a return ticket from the gateway at which they plan to enter the country, due to regulatory restrictions"

Obviously krwilson and others are able to do it, but I don't think I would take a chance at being stuck without a way home from the DR or elsewhere.

milo

Jan 27, 2005
WestJet Return Tickets

I had a lengthy telephone converation with a customer service rep for WestJet yesterday. I tried to buy a one way ticket back to Canada from Puerto Plata. I called to ask the name of a rep. I was told that WestJet in the past sold one way tickets here, but no longer, they also can not sell one way tickets back to DR. The lady I spoke with explained that they do not have the necessary permit afforded to many of the other airlines allowing them to sell one way tickets.
If anyone can let me know if this is not true, I can cancel and be reimbursed for the ticket here that I will not use upon departure as I purchased a return ticket to leave. There is an advantage to WestJet versus charters in that you can purchase a return ticket up to 11 months in the future, there is a small change fee should that date change, almost as good as an open ended ticket.

LuvtheDR

Apr 4, 2004
I had a lengthy telephone converation with a customer service rep for WestJet yesterday. I tried to buy a one way ticket back to Canada from Puerto Plata. I called to ask the name of a rep. I was told that WestJet in the past sold one way tickets here, but no longer, they also can not sell one way tickets back to DR. The lady I spoke with explained that they do not have the necessary permit afforded to many of the other airlines allowing them to sell one way tickets.
If anyone can let me know if this is not true, I can cancel and be reimbursed for the ticket here that I will not use upon departure as I purchased a return ticket to leave. There is an advantage to WestJet versus charters in that you can purchase a return ticket up to 11 months in the future, there is a small change fee should that date change, almost as good as an open ended ticket.

I was told the same thing when I was trying to get back to Canada in January...they don't have the permits to do one way from DR to Canada in order yet (but was told that they are working on it). WestJet just started flying to DR this year - so I'm assuming that it will all take time.

I don't know about the one way from Canada to DR. I know I was able to book one in February when I came back to DR....but like I said in my previous post...I have my Residency here....so maybe that's the difference. You might be able to book your return 11 months in the future....but I would make sure that they allow this too - since "technically" your tourist visa expires here in 15 or 30 days (not sure what it is now).

donnaparadise

Sep 1, 2003
paralaestrella.com
Before I had my residency, (and after) I would book the cheapest return charter flight I could lay my hands on - air only. There are certain times of the year you can get some really good deals such as just after Easter, Labour Day, etc.

Of course, I couldn't use the return portion because I was always staying here for several months when I came down. When it was time to go back, I would go to Air Transat, or other charter airlines and get a one-way return ticket that they sell because of so many like me who don't use their return.

In the old days, it was pretty inexpensive, however it seems every time I want to do it now, the price has gone up and I had to pay $500.00 the last time.

The total return is still cheaper than buying a one-way ticket coming down and then trying to get back again on a one-way.

West Jet is the way to go now because they have pretty reasonable fares if you are flexible as to your dates and you can book and pay for your return and change it for $40.00 if you need to.

Also, you are allowed a LOT more weight on your luggage and if you have more than 2 pieces, just pay $75.00 per piece, no matter what it weighs.
All the other airlines get you for every single ounce it seems, of overweight luggage and can be really expensive.

We need a lot more competition coming and going here because the few airlines that do come charge way over what they charge for the same distances to other continents or countries. Heck, I could spend a week or 10 days in Europe for what it costs to coime here, one way!

sylindr

Nov 29, 2007
Interesting, and was not aware of this fact. Why do they sell one way tickets then, I wonder. And if they readily sell one to you, and make no mention of these rules, I would be very upset when going to board my plane if they stopped me, for they sold me the ticket in the first place. Not trying to be pain, just musing, rules are to be followed.

The west jet website is VERY clear that you cannot purchase a one way ticket to dominican repulbic. but their system will allow it and you just take your chances.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Has anyone traveled from Canada and got into the dr (santo domingo airport) or know if you (a canadian) can get in with a oneway ticket? I tried searching and found nothing relating to coming in from Canada. Any help would be great!

When you buy the ticket in CAN make sure to say you hold Dominican residency (even if you don't), that's all there is to it!!!

They won't bother you in the DR about the ticket being one-way...

If when boarding the plane in CAN they ask you to produce proof of Dominican residency, just say your sister has the papers in the DR at the airport as you had to renew them (or just make some silly excuse).

sylindr

Nov 29, 2007
i have purchased a one way ticket from puerto plata to canada, in january and have since purchased a one way ticket to puerto plata from canada. i did the latter on the internet and had no problem....but by the looks of this may hit a snag when i check in. my one way ticket in january was bought with the help of an agent over the telephone

lacey

Mar 12, 2008
I have read through the thread and find conflicting information. I understand that policy changes and may be taking my chances but also know that I am cheap and don't wish to buy a return ticket if I don't have to. (extra $250 min.) I just got off the phone with the Embassy Of DR-in Ottawa. They assured me that I only need a one way ticket and that this was not a problem. Just an FYI.

donnaparadise

Sep 1, 2003
paralaestrella.com
Excuse me, but the Embassy is not an airline. Technically, you CAN buy a one-way ticket if you have your Residency, but not with a charter airline. With a charter airline, you have to buy a return. Non-charter airlines do not have many seat sales and the prices are much higher. I know for sure that is true with American and Air Canada.

I have countless airmiles with both airlines and am never able to use them because they don't even have that many airmiles seats available.

Also, if you do get a good deal on a charter flight such as Air Transat, and don't use the return, hopping on a flight when you go back, will cost you at least $500.00 now, not $250 as it used to. At least, that is true from Pop.

The best deal I have found right now is with West Jet. They have a lot more seat sales and even with the tax, can be a pretty good deal. The last time I booked (end of Jan), I got a return flight for under $700.00 I have booked to go back to Canada for a few weeks at the end of July, however if I need to change it, it only costs $40.00 to do so. I did have 11 months to book my return flight and if I can get a flight back at a cheaper day rate, they will credit my account with the difference.

The other BIG advantage to West Jet now is that you can take 2 large pieces of luggage (60 pounds each) and only have to pay $75.00 for each additional piece. That in itself has saved me almost a full fare sometimes.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Do not trust what the embassy tells you.

We have been very clear the rule is: if you do not have residency or citizenship in the DR you must have a return ticket. The return ticket is simply a flight out of here at some time to some place.

It is the responsibility of the airline to show you have a return ticket. IF you get caught (likely) you will be refused entry on the plane and will be purchasing a ticket at the counter! NOW that will cost you a lot more money!

Dully

Aug 24, 2007
I "Know of someone" who just came from the vancouver airport in canada, bc. Stopped over in usa for a few hours, Oneway ticket ordered online and "he" was going to try the "I have residency" if asked. But wasent asked and made it here fine. So untill next time!

donnaparadise

Sep 1, 2003
paralaestrella.com
He got lucky. Saying "I have residency" might backfire if he didn't have documentation. In order to 'have residency' you have to have proof in the form of a 'Residency Card'. He likely had his passport and because he was going to the US, he wasn't checked for additional travel requirements.

I would not use this example to show others that they should just 'try it' as it could be an expensive test.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
One way ticket

I flew from Dorval (Montreal) to POP " one way ticket" 2 weeks ago with Air Canada. Also several times with Transat over the years. Never was I asked if I had residency.
Twice from Miami to POP I was asked for my residency card. My wife doesn't have her's so had to buy a return ticket that was promply reembursed by AA at their Santiago office.

Charlielyn

Bronze
Jul 31, 2005
[/QUOTE]The best deal I have found right now is with West Jet. They have a lot more seat sales and even with the tax, can be a pretty good deal. The last time I booked (end of Jan), I got a return flight for under $700.00 I have booked to go back to Canada for a few weeks at the end of July, however if I need to change it, it only costs $40.00 to do so. I did have 11 months to book my return flight and if I can get a flight back at a cheaper day rate, they will credit my account with the difference.

The other BIG advantage to West Jet now is that you can take 2 large pieces of luggage (60 pounds each) and only have to pay $75.00 for each additional piece. That in itself has saved me almost a full fare sometimes.[/QUOTE]

The above is old information. Below in RED are the new costs.

The best deal I have found right now is with West Jet. They have a lot more seat sales and even with the tax, can be a pretty good deal. The last time I booked (yesterday), I got a return flight for $560.60 I have booked to go back to Canada for a few weeks at the end of July, however if I need to change it, it only costs $50.00 to do so. I did have 11 months to book my return flight and if I can get a flight back at a cheaper day rate, they will credit my account with the difference.

The other BIG advantage to West Jet now is that you can take 2 large pieces of luggage (50 pounds each) and 2 carry-ons of 22 lbs eachand only have to pay $75.00 for each additional piece.

Princesa777

Apr 13, 2008
the problem is not getting into the DR without a return ticket, it is getting out of the USA/Canada!
Im from Europe and I always fly with a one-way ticket, never a problem. Until one time I went from the DR to the USA and back. When I was checking for my flight from Florida to the DR, they told me to show my ticket back to europe. I wasnt aware that I needed one, so I didnt have one. Well I couldnt go on the plane unless I booked my ticket to europe right now, $1500. WHAT!?!??! My tickets usually cost around $250. Fortunately they let me go with a reservation, but with the warning that if they would ask about my return ticket in the DR i would have to pay the ticket immediately. Ofcourse they never asked and it was no problem.

Dully

Aug 24, 2007
Well to answer my own question (as people above have stated), i baught a ticket online (at expedia i think) oneway from vancouver, canada to puerto plata, dr. I was going to have the "residency" exscuse ready, but never got asked about it at all, and i had one stop on the east coast of the USA also.