Canada to Dominican Republic oneway ticket?

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
Well to answer my own question (as people above have stated), i baught a ticket online (at expedia i think) oneway from vancouver, canada to puerto plata, dr. I was going to have the "residency" exscuse ready, but never got asked about it at all, and i had one stop on the east coast of the USA also.

Maybe they will ask you at the checking in the airport though.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
I flew Westjet, on Aug 30 1-way from Calgary ($386 taxes incl), last flight till they resume on Nov 3....no questions asked at immigration....just have your tourist card ready....my good friend has booked 1-way from Regina on Nov 3 for about the same price.... Air Canada will sell you a 1 way but for way more... but as far as the charters they will only sell you a return...
hammerdown

Reactions: Lapurr

Matt1987

Oct 7, 2011
i flew toronto - puerto plata via. miami with american airlines last week. NOTHING happened. they didn't ask at all and didn't even mind my little overweight (luggage of course ;) ) ...

kimbjorkland

Apr 6, 2011
For the record, here's the rule from Canada's Department of Foreign Affairs:

Dominican Republic Travel Advice and Advisories | Government of Canada

--

4. ENTRY/EXIT REQUIREMENTS

It is the sole prerogative of each country or region to determine who is allowed to enter. All countries or regions have special requirements for persons intending to reside for extended periods (usually more than 90 days) or who plan to work, study, or engage in non-tourist activities. To obtain information on specific entry requirements, contact the nearest diplomatic or consular office of the destination(s) to be visited. Violations of entry and exit requirements may result in serious penalties.

The following information on entry and exit requirements has been confirmed with the authorities of the Dominican Republic. However, these requirements are subject to change at any time. It is the traveller's responsibility to check with the Embassy of the Dominican Republic or its consulates for up-to-date information.

Since January 23, 2007, all Canadian citizens transiting the United States when travelling to and from the Dominican Republic by air must comply with entry requirements to the U.S. For more detailed information, please see the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) web site.

It is strongly recommended that all Canadians be in possession of a valid Canadian passport while abroad. A Canadian passport is the only reliable and universally accepted travel and identification document available to Canadians for the purpose of international travel. Canadians entering the Dominican Republic by direct air travel are only required to be in possession of valid official photo identification (such as a driver's licence) and proof of citizenship (such as a birth certificate). Canadian tourists must also be in possession of a return airline ticket.

However, Canadian citizens returning to Canada who present other documents, such as a Certificate of Canadian Citizenship, birth certificate, provincial driver’s licence, or foreign passport, instead of a Canadian passport, may face delays or be denied boarding by transport companies.

Canadians entering the Dominican Republic for tourist purposes must purchase a tourist card, at a cost of $10 US, which is valid for 30 days. Those wishing to stay for a longer period must pay a surcharge at the airport upon departure or request an extension by visiting the Department of Immigration in Santo Domingo. Those wishing to work in the Dominican Republic must apply for a business visa. More information can be obtained by contacting the Embassy of the Dominican Republic in Ottawa.

Foreigners may gain the right to reside in the Dominican Republic by acquiring a residence visa from the Foreign Relations Ministry and a temporary or permanent residence card from the Immigration Department. A student visa is also required. For additional information, please contact the Embassy of the Dominican Republic in Ottawa or its consulates in Canada.

Tourist Visa or Tourist Card: Required
Business Visa: Required
Student Visa: Required

A departure tax of US$20 is charged for stays of up to two weeks. The departure tax for stays longer than two weeks varies depending on length of stay and nationality. The tax applies to all international flights, and may be included in the price of the airline ticket. Travellers should confirm this information with their travel agents.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
No one has EVER been sent back to where they came from in the DR because they did not have a return ticket. The airline might make you get one when you check in, but if they do not you will have no problems entering the country.

Gordon

Jan 24, 2011
I have never been asked for evidence of a return ticket when entering the DR and do not get one as I do not know my dates of return. I have been denied the ability to leave the country with no passport to show after my passport was stolen. I question the advisory that a passport is not required. I had to get to the Canadian embassy from Punta Cana airport with no money and no help to get an emergency passport. People at the embassy were helpful only to the point of sticking to the basic rules and did not make one feel very looked after or very safe. I called American Express to see if they would advance me some funds on my card and they would not. I used my last few pesos on my call to Am Ex and they were not even concerned or helpful and to this day I am not sure if the call got dropped or they hung up but it was my last pesos at that time and a horrible feeling. It was a very difficult experience and I began to realize how little help an embassy can be when you are having a personal emergency. Thank heavens for friends sometimes.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
This thread is about 3 years old. Anyway, I've travelled to and from Montreal going through Toronto, Miami, Newark, JFK, etc, etc. and never once in 30 years have I been asked for a return ticket.