Canadian Immigration Employees working in Port Au Prince...

amber1979

Feb 8, 2008
My husband went to the Canadian embassy in Puerto Plata and they had no idea of the situation in SD or PAP, they could not answer any questions and referred him to SD. This was 1 week ago...

amber1979

Feb 8, 2008
continued sorry new to this lol ...they were at least friendly to him there lol last time we were in SD they werent so nice
Best of luck :) hoping your hubby returns to Canada with you!

I am also going to SD in March hoping to get some answers and to possibly apply for visitor visa, or to at least inquire about it as my MP office suggested that it was worth a try! Fingers crossed lol as it has only been 6 months that my husbands application has been in process.

Jess1

Jul 11, 2009
Hello everyone,

I saw this tonight on the CIC website. I hadn't seen it before, so hopefully it's good news for all of us.

I think it's good news that CIC has officially confirmed it on their website.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/offices/missions/port-au-prince.asp

If you follow the link it will bring you to the Santo Domingo one and it says that it's now a full service center.

Happy Valentine's day:)

Last edited:

ragd3

Jan 24, 2010
Yes, they're working!!!

Hello!, I think I'm happy today!
If you read my thread about "CAIPS for PR - Quebec selected immigrants" you'll have an idea of my situation... well good news!

Yesterday I wrote an e-mail to Santo Domingo asking about my case and they replied today! They gave me my file number (which I didn't have) and told me that the AOR was sent to me on 21 October 2009 (I never received it!)... not that good is that they told me "the processing was estimated and 18-24 months, given the situation in Haiti at present we can not confirm when your application will be completed."

However, I quote the following paragraph which is important for all of Us:

"Citizenship and Immigration Canada is working to establish a full service immigration office at the Embassy of Canada at Santo Domingo to resume processing of Dominican Republic applications previously in process at Port au Prince. You may continue to communicate with this office regarding the application in question. As full service is established and processing resumes, you/the applicant will be contacted with additional information and instructions regarding the next steps."

So good news for all!

Cheers!

goodgirlmaddie

Oct 10, 2009
Any recent news??

Hi....has anyone received any recent news to indicated they may have resumed working on the Dominican applications that were IN PROCESS at Port Au Prince before the earthquake?? Last I think we all heard was that they were setting up or had set up a full service immigration office in Santo Domingo. Just wondering if anyone has received any recent news that would indicate they have resumed working on the applications.

goodgirlmaddie

Oct 10, 2009
I just sent out request for CAIPS notes last week...hoping it will show some movement, although my hopes aren't too high.

Sweetkiwi

Jul 16, 2009
What is your timeline Maddie? I'm hoping for some movement as well...I'm going to wait until mid March before I send another request.

goodgirlmaddie

Oct 10, 2009
Hey Sweetkiwi,

My husband's application has been IN PROCESS since June 29, 2009. Had not heard anything or received anything from Port Au Prince before the earthquake. My MP contacted Port Au Prince just before Christmas and Port Au Prince responded that my husband's application was "pending review by an immigration officer" probably indicating that it hadn't even been looked at yet.

Then the earthquake happened on January 12 so I'm not sure if anything would have been done between Christmas and the earthquake. Just sent away for CAIPS notes last week to see if anything may have happened between Christmas and the earthquake or if anything has happened recently.

Our first anniversary is on April 17. Luckily I have been fortunate enough to visit my husband often over the last year...thanks to a very kind and understanding boss.

When I went to see my husband in February, we went to the Canadian Embassy in Santo Domingo (my husband lives in Santo Domingo) just to see if we could get any answers. They didn't really give me any information and just gave me the email address of where I should send any future inquiries.

Seeing as no one has really posted any news over the last 2 or 3 weeks on here about any other Dominican applications that are in process, it seems they may have not been really working on anything recently. Discouraging...this whole process truly tests your patience.

How long did it take to get your CAIPS notes...this is the first time I am ordering them?

anita29

Mar 5, 2009
I am just wondering if anyone knows what the processing time for spouse applications is? Has it been increased due to the earthquake? And I am also curious to know why it took so long for your wife to get approved? Does approval always take long for Dominicans trying to get PR?:ermm:

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
Before the earthquake the wait time was between 8-18 months....

Most files seems to take around 12 months...some faster and others slower.

If you expect to wait 18-24 months and the file is approved faster it is a lot easier to handle the stress!!!

Good Luck!

Picante

Jul 23, 2008
Ok so, I am not sure if any one has received any new information, so I thought I throw in more insight as to what I found out about my case today. For those who dont know I have been married since July 2008 but it took my husband and I a lot of time to get our papers into Mississauga. (Apr 09) They sent it back asking for medicals and photos of my husbands 3 children and due to financial reasons it took us til Nov to resubmit. We got word that I was approved to sponsor him in Nov (2 weeks) and they sent our application to Haiti on Dec 4th.

Since then we haven't heard a word. My application never made it to IN PROCESS, then... ENTER earthquake. I like most of you called immigration here and in Santo Domingo every week, and even emailed Haiti. No one can advise as to where my application is so I am thinking great my papers are lost.

I visited my MP this week and they are helping look into my case for me. I got word today, the MP's office has received information from Ottawa that... WAIT FOR IT... ALL OF THE APPLICATIONS THAT WE'RE IN PROCESS IN HAITI are NOW IN SANTO DOMINGO!!!

So for all of you who are wondering what the heck, it is in the hands of Santo Domingo. That's good news for most, but they still don't know where my application is so that is bad news for me. I have to wait 60 days to see if it surfaces before my MP can contact them again since they say my case is still new.

For everyone else, this should mean faster processing times! YAY!!!

Jess1

Jul 11, 2009
Hello Picante,

Thanks for the update. That's good news:) Hang in there, we're all in the same boat....waiting.

Does anyone know if all the applications are ok? Did any get destroyed in Haiti?

Jess

goodgirlmaddie

Oct 10, 2009
Hi Jess..when my husband and I visited the Canadian Embassy in February to see if we could find out more information about what was going on, the receptionist wouldn't really answer any of our questions, however she did confirm that all paper files were ok and they had not been damaged. So, if the information that Picante received is correct then your spouse's file should be in Santo Domingo now. Let's hope the information Picante received is correct. Hopefully we will hear something soon that will indicate that they have continued processing files again. Keeping my fingers crossed.

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
There is no official word on PR applications being processed in Santo Domingo. This may happen in the future, but as of right now, it's not. So far only temporary visas are handled out of SDO. Not to get worried, I'm positive that a solution is being worked out - but I wouldn't bet on any politician's words right now, even the minister doesn't seem to have a complete grasp on things.

Has anyone ordered their CAIPS notes recently?

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
So not to upset anyone, here is the official word from the CIC website.....

CIC website also shows Santo Domingo is now a full service embassy.

Canadian Visa Office - Santo Domingo

Immigrant Processing Mission: (PR APPLICATIONS)
Note: Due to the recent earthquake in Haiti the visa office at the Embassy of Canada in Santo Domingo is responsible for immigrant applications from people in the Dominican Republic.

Non-Immigrant Processing Mission: (TEMPORARY VISAS)
Note: Due to the recent earthquake in Haiti the visa office at the Embassy of Canada in Santo Domingo is responsible for visitor visa, study permit and work permit applications from people in the Dominican Republic and Haiti.