Canadian Immigration Employees working in Port Au Prince...

jelcan

Feb 12, 2010
We send them (SDO) an email for instructions on how to include our toddler in the PR application. They responded instructing us to send the birth certificate to the Santo Domingo office.

So my guess is yes, they're processing PR applications.

goodgirlmaddie

Oct 10, 2009
Confused...

I'm confused as to how El Uruguayo knows they are NOT being processed in Santo Domingo when the CIC website says they are and the Embassy in Santo Domingo says they are. Just curious how you know this information???

XXKWISIT

Apr 15, 2007
I got an email March 6 from the embassy in Santo Domingo, saying that they were in the process of transferring our files from Haiti to Santo Domingo as our file had been recovered. They were then supposed to be reviewed in Santo Domingo and they would contact [us] if there was anything missing from our application.
I took that as a sign that my hubby's PR application was being processed in Santo Domingo, but maybe I am wrong???????
We are now at almost the 7 month mark, I figured we should be hearing SOMETHING in the next few months.....

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
There have been MANY people confirming this via direct contact with the embassy and/or their MP's in the last few weeks.

PR applications are being finalized and PR visas are being issued out of Santo Domingo...twillis can verify.

Update from jojocdn today in Uncompleted Timelines thread also confirms this.

Stick with the info on the CIC website & first hand experience by others waiting....it seems to be the most accurate info available right now.

I hope that now that things are starting to settle down, more people will start hearing some good news!!

Sangria

tiguerita

Jan 5, 2004
CAIPS notes

I ordered ours today so I'll post an update when we they arrive.

Tig

There is no official word on PR applications being processed in Santo Domingo. This may happen in the future, but as of right now, it's not. So far only temporary visas are handled out of SDO. Not to get worried, I'm positive that a solution is being worked out - but I wouldn't bet on any politician's words right now, even the minister doesn't seem to have a complete grasp on things.

Has anyone ordered their CAIPS notes recently?

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
Whoa! Hold on for a second - didn't mean to get anyone worked up. I have been following rather closely, up until a week or so ago until for my personal reasons I didn't need to follow this (really that isn't that long ago) and until then, there was no official news of this happening. However sangria's link (updated 15/03/10) shows they are processing PR - or will be accepting them. I am sorry if my info is a week or so old, and that I wasn't informed of this when I posted. My point was, that one should be taking certain here-say announcements with a grain of salt. There has been loads of misinformation, contradictory statements (I guess I just did that!), etc goin on with this situation, and I was just putting it out there that people should keep a cool head about this.

It's funny how they didn't put that little tid-bit in their Haiti link (there was mention of PR applications being uploaded to Port of Spain). Anyways, the reality is this, there are no more than a handful of officers in SDO, they are processing TRVs and most probably will be getting to PR applications some time soon - however as expected, they are not completely set up, and a delay can be expected. However there is a diamond in the rough, in that now that there is a visa office in Santo Domingo, it is now possible to get an interview for a visitor visa, and also, that dominicans won't be viewed in the same lens as Hatians (lowest approval rating in the americas) - this should alllow for an increased chance of getting a visitor visa.

Best of luck to all. And again, wasn't trying to set off any alarms. And by all means, please post updates that you have with concrete info, such as CAIPS etc. If there is any recent activity this is a good thing. If there isn't there are other avenues one can pursue.

cheers

amber1979

Feb 8, 2008
I was just at the embassy in SD on March 15 as they said for my husband to forward any of his documents and fill out his apps again to them in SD but we wanted to deliver in person. They explained to us that ironically they rec'd his apps from PAP the day before (mar14/10) and we should expect to be contacted within 2 months...they were very helpful and understanding...

Jess1

Jul 11, 2009
Thanks for the update amber1979.

".... any of his documents and fill out his apps again to them in SD but we wanted to deliver in person." What does this mean? Does he have fill out his application again?

Thank you very much for the info....it gives us all hope!:)

Sweetkiwi

Jul 16, 2009
I just received a letter via email from the embassy. :D I'm really happy to know that we haven't been forgotten. I'm ecstatic to hear anything from them even if it is not saying anything. Yippee!

I'll quote parts of the letter:

Due to the recent earthquake in Haiti, your application has been transferred to the Canadian Embassy in Santo Domingo for continued processing. Your file number remains the same: BXXXXXXXXX. You must quote this file number in any future correspondence. Please note that we will be processing applications according to priority as determined by Citizenship and Immigration Canada. For up-to-date information on processing times in this region, please consult the CIC Web site:
Application Processing Times: Applications Processed Outside of Canada .

Interviews

You will be notified of the appointment for your interview, if required, approximately one month prior to the date of the interview, and you will be provided with further instructions at that time.

Change in circumstance

Let us know by fax or email if there is a change in your personal circumstances, such as the birth of a child, a marriage or divorce (see our contact information below). You must also inform us in writing of any:

Gr?goria

Feb 1, 2009
hi Sweetkiwi,

I received the same email last week, and I understand perfectly your happyness. Just knowing that our file still existing, and that it is now behing process in SD put a big and pernament smile on my face. :)))