*** Cars, Jeeps, New & Used Pricing ***

Mar 1, 2009
I've seen a couple of 98-99 used toyota corrolla's for about 6-7000 dollars on a website, don't remember if it was supercarros. In Miami that car costs about 2G. Wow what a price hike. I'm going to get one of those chinese motorcycle's that I've been hearing about.

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
Land Rover Discovery
Would it be cheaper to make a personal import as a Pensioner from the U.K. or U.S.A.of one of these rather than purchase one here.

zilog8

Aug 28, 2007
Hey, my wife's just got her learners permit and will soon get a license. Where can I find the cheapest hunk of metal that moves?, such that I won't start crying when she totals it in less than a month, like I know she will. (Just to specify, I'm not implying that women can't drive; My mother taught me how, and my sister is the best driver I've ever known. It's just that my wife gets nervous easily, and y'all know how the other cars drive here.)

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Tough call.

You need to check the import taxes on your discovery and decide for yourself.

I would guess it would cheaper to buy one here. They decrease in value rapidly here, because not many folks want to buy used ones. You can probably wrangle a pretty good deal.

The import taxes would be stiff, considering it's a luxury vehicle.

Also very expensive to maintain and repair, as the dealer is likely the only place you can get it fixed (and have some peace of mind).

Consider selling your vehicle back home and getting a Toyota or Honda vehicle out here. Repairs are much cheaper (Japanese vehicle parts are everywhere), and you'll save a lot of money on gas (the Discovery gets horrible mileage, and gas isn't much cheaper than the UK at $5 USD a gallon.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Also very expensive to maintain and repair, as the dealer is likely the only place you can get it fixed (and have some peace of mind).

Consider selling your vehicle back home and getting a Toyota or Honda vehicle out here. Repairs are much cheaper (Japanese vehicle parts are everywhere), and you'll save a lot of money on gas (the Discovery gets horrible mileage, and gas isn't much cheaper than the UK at $5 USD a gallon.

Unless the guy is millionaire, that's the best advice. He can always get a Prado in the DR.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I got an offer for a 2002 Grand Vitara, prime condition for 280,000 rds... paybable with no intrest in 5 months...

just to give an idea...

Linda Stapleton

Jun 3, 2003
Fair price for a Mitsubishi Sportero

Does anyone have an idea of what would be a fair price for a Mitsubishi Sportero truck, 2007, low mileage and good condition, at Dominican prices of course?

Thanks for your input.

carib

Jul 16, 2002
Surf 2001

The "Surf" is imported scrap from Japan. Here in the country the dash and front axle is converted from right hand drive to left hand. While this is done the dash is dis-assembled and the mechanical odometer is "adjusted" which means these super high kilometer vehicles are now low kilometer vehicles that were driven by "the little old lady fron Pasadina" . If you look carefully at the timing belt case and under the vehicle, you might see service stickers in Japanese, but they show the kilos recorded for service. I almost purchased one that showed 60000 kilos on the odometer but on the engine it showed the timing belt was changed at 165000..... Also the front axle is weak due to the conversion (2 mechanics I trust have told me)
Good luch with the surf
Carib

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
Trying to figure out cars in the DR

We just want to buy a good, solid used car, but with unknown mileage and maintenance, it's difficult. We live on North Coast and prices are astounding for used ones. Looking online, new car prices are high too, but not so out of bed as the used prices. Can someone explain to us why this is?

Any wisdom and/or guidance anyone can offer about buying cars would be much appreciated.

karlheinz

Oct 2, 2006
Re Surf "scrap" - well I knew it was a Japanese market vehicle but i'll have to recheck the timing belt case as you suggest. The odometer had 95,000 Km on it when I purchased - so far so good with no problems (thankfully).

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
[Originally Posted by markbrown
does anyone have lambos or other exotics in the dr ?

Almost any thing you want. here in the capital. from Rolls Royce to Ferrari

holland1974

Aug 13, 2008
How much negotation is there on used car prices on dealer forecourts (approxiamately- I know all dealers are not the same) there are some cars that are 4x the price of used cars in the UK which have always been classed as expensive towards the US.