Casabe: The Bread of the Indians

Do you like casabe?

• Total voters

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Casabe is from cassava (yuca), I do know that :)

My point was that the paragraph I quoted from the OP is about cassava the root vegetable, not casabe.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Some years ago I brought quite a bit of casabe from the DR and gave some to try to my co workers.
They loved it! Spread with butter. They requested that I bring back some more for them on my trips
to the DR.

Often when I fly to the US, my bags get searched. The Dominicans doing the searching find it hilarious that I have coffee, casabe and honey in them. The casabe, especially, amuses them. My daughter loves it and I always bring her at least a dozen packages.

ddoran

Apr 23, 2006
pedrito guzman

the great DR photographer, senor guzman, has some great photos of the process used to make casabe
perhaps he could post some
el moncionero

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002

latitude19

May 29, 2011
My Dominican wife's parents I think were a bit stunned the first time they saw me buy cassava. I wish I could get it here where I live in the US. As with all grains, I buy the "integral." Better for you and I actually like the taste better. Most of the time I will spread guayaba over it. Also really good is cheese melted over the top.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Relatively speaking re: bread, no.

Which is why the National Casabe Council, or whatever casabe trade umbrella group name they use needs to step to the plate and do some branding.

Have the DR government create a "National Casabe Day" and do tie-ins with local media outlets. "Casabe -- for that special night..."

Branding, people.
The government is giving attention to the casabe 'industry' with direct loans to small producers so they can modernize and increase their production process.

Apparently the government has already given RD$56 million (about US$1.3 million) in low interest loans to small casabe producers. Production increased to RD$300 million (about US$7 million) all by small producers. Its not clear to me if the production amount is for the national casabe 'industry' or for the production in Monci?n. I'm going to assume the latter for the time being.

In this video they focus on a small casabe producer that before the government help had very rudimentary production methods and now, well, its obvious...

[video=youtube;mpaSIFuth9U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpaSIFuth9U[/video]

Additional evidence that all the taxes people pay doesn't all goes on jeepetas.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Often when I fly to the US, my bags get searched. The Dominicans doing the searching find it hilarious that I have coffee, casabe and honey in them. The casabe, especially, amuses them. My daughter loves it and I always bring her at least a dozen packages.

i always found it interesting that people love dominican honey so much. to me it's very meh. much more variety and much better taste where i come from. and all pales in comparison to manuka honey from down under.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Casabe with cheese or plain. I have also tried it with cream cheese and a slice of ham.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Apparently the government has already given RD$56 million (about US$1.3 million) in low interest loans to small casabe producers. Production increased to RD$300 million (about US$7 million) all by small producers. Its not clear to me if the production amount is for the national casabe 'industry' or for the production in Monci?n. I'm going to assume the latter for the time being.

there you go, few articles to clarify that:
El Caribe ? Presidente Medina autoriza ayuda econ?mica a productores de casabe de Monci?n
Z 101
Gobierno entrega RD$24.2 millones a productores de casabe y yuca amarga - DiarioLibre.com

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Casabe with cheese or plain. I have also tried it with cream cheese and a slice of ham.

Cream cheese and chives (dip) is delicious with casabe.

8 ounces cream cheese, softened (room temperature)
2 tablespoons milk or sour cream
1 tablespoon fresh chives, sliced thinly or minced
A sprinkle of garlic salt and a dash of pepper

Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl. Beat with electric mixer until fluffy and well-mixed.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003

I have had casabe with the Laughing Cow spreadable cheese that comes in individual wedges in a circular package. There are different flavors and it is very good with the casabe.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Upon reviewing my earlier review of casabe and its closeness to cardboard, I find to be more like MDF (medium density fiberboard).

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Upon reviewing my earlier review of casabe and its closeness to cardboard, I find to be more like MDF (medium density fiberboard).

if i was pressed for a comparison i would say it has a texture of large flakes of paint peeling off an abandoned classroom in chernobyl.

SkyBlues

Apr 8, 2011
When my spouse hasn't made my lunch I fry an egg (spiced up nicely) and put it on casabe bread. Takes no time at all then back to work :)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
NALs, you should do a poll about the dish of satan, otherwise known as habichuelas con dulce.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Yes, please do! It's almost Semana Santa, the time when every Dominican home whether
in the DR or abroad, is preparing to make ollas de habichuelas con dulce!:lick: