Changed to solar and...... Wow!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Maybe I'm confused, but wasn't their discussion about pushing a Smart Meter backwards a few pages back? The Smart Meter having a NET reading on the meter? Or was that a different DR power co? Or is there only one DR Power Co? I'm in the DARK here (get it? electricity joke there).

If spinning a meter backwards, how is the Safety issue handled (a lineman working on the power lines while you're pushing electricity into them)? I remember reading about that quite a few years ago when Solar first started making headway in the States. There is some type of safety method to prevent accidental electrocution of a lineman, but can't remember how that worked.

There are some locations that reportedly have Smart Meters. They were installed to monitor electrical use remotely without having the need for a meter reader. I have personally never seen one in the DR. I live in Cabarete.

As for selling power to the EDE's, I am not aware of a policy by the EDE's to allow you to feed power into the grid, so the questions about safety and how much it would save you would as yet have not answers. Anyone that has such experience please let us know.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Net metering.

Here is another thread that might help you.

http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/126506-p-like-photovoltaics.html

I have the "Smart Meter" that was very smart at ripping me off and got no help from Edenorte. That's how this thread got started. We are still way below 700 kWh's per month and the generator seldom starts. I don't know what it takes to go to Net Metering but I'd rather not deal with Edenorte.
http://www.dr1.com/forums/environme...tem-installed-kudos-dr-gov-agency-edesur.html

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Largest solar park in the D.R.

http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/te...pplies-Dominican-Republics-largest-solar-park

SolarWorld supplies Dominican Republic?s largest solar park

Santo Domingo.- Solar panels from SolarWorld, the largest U.S. solar manufacturer for more than 35 years, now power the largest solar-electric installation in the Dominican Republic. The 1.5-megawatt solar array sits near the runway of Cibao International Airport, the country?s third largest airport. The system, a complete solar solution featuring SolarWorld?s high-quality solar panels and proprietary racking, generates enough clean energy to support about half of the airport?s energy needs.

In late July, President Danilo Medina and Felix Garcia, the president of the airport?s Board of Directors, presided over the plant?s commissioning. In a statement released July 23, Enrique Ramirez, president of the National Energy Commission, called the solar project one of the largest and most ambitious in Latin America.

?As a company with business ties to Latin America dating back more than 30 years, SolarWorld has long understood that solar power is an essential part of the region?s energy mix,? said Kevin Kilkelly, president of SolarWorld Americas. ?For island nations like Dominican Republic, solar offers a clean and cost-effective solution to dependence on expensive imported oil for power generation.?

The project was developed and installed by Dominican-based Trace Solar SRL within the framework of the country?s renewable energy laws, which use tax incentives and net metering to encourage solar deployment. Trace collaborated with SolarWorld?s engineering, procurement and construction (EPC) division to design the system, which is composed of 5,880 SolarWorld Sunmodule solar panels mounted atop the company?s Sunfix Ground Mount racking. The array is expected to generate 193,000 kilowatt-hours of electricity every month. According to government estimates, this rate translates to a monthly savings of about 1,240 barrels of oil.

SolarWorld has supplied solar panels, mounting solutions and complete solar systems for both on- and off-grid applications to customers in Latin America since the late 1970s. Through its Solar2World program, which supports community rural-electrification projects in developing economies, SolarWorld has also donated panels to hospitals, medical clinics and water-treatment facilities in Haiti, Peru, Mexico and Honduras.

SolarWorld AG manufactures solar power systems and in doing so contributes to a cleaner energy supply worldwide. The company, located in Bonn, employs approximately 2,500 people and carries out production in Freiberg, Germany, and Hillsboro, USA. From raw material silicon to the solar module, SolarWorld manages all stages of production ? including its own research and development. Through an international distribution network, SolarWorld supplies customers all over the world with solar modules and complete systems. The company maintains high social standards at all locations across the globe, and has committed itself to resource- and energy-efficient production. SolarWorld has been publicly traded on the stock market since 1999. More information at Solar Panels | Home Solar Panels | SolarWorld USA.

grsher

Jan 16, 2008
Maybe I'm confused, but wasn't their discussion about pushing a Smart Meter backwards a few pages back? The Smart Meter having a NET reading on the meter? Or was that a different DR power co? Or is there only one DR Power Co? I'm in the DARK here (get it? electricity joke there).

If spinning a meter backwards, how is the Safety issue handled (a lineman working on the power lines while you're pushing electricity into them)? I remember reading about that quite a few years ago when Solar first started making headway in the States. There is some type of safety method to prevent accidental electrocution of a lineman, but can't remember how that worked.

The inverters have a built in relay that automatically opens the connection when it senses no power is coming from the grid.

GREC

Apr 27, 2013
Its a mini-grid and no it does not void enphase warrenty.....

I will convert over to mini-grid soon enough.

g'luck

Unless you are doing a fairly large system you are better off with an off grid setup over Islanding. Islanding is more efficient but you have to justify the cost over efficiency.

1.) It is more expensive
2.) You must have a good Bi-directional inverter and must be compatible in AC coupling with the grid tied inverter.
3.) If you are also using a generator at times the inverter must make a phase shift when the batteries are full to shut the panels down. If this fails you can feed back to the generator and kiss the generator good-bye.
4.) One last thing; these systems are designed for stable grid power like most electrical devices. If you are in an area with continuous voltage fluctuation I would not advise this system.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Hey GREC,

glad to see you

why don't you tell us a bit about your Haiti installation - the orphanage ??

I ahve mentioned you to windeguy and Ringo.....
they will recognize you

GREC is my go-to guy on the north coast ---

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Two (or three) Scenarios for GREC

GREC: I have two potential applications for solar power on the north coast.

1) 3.6 KW Trace DR series inverter with 8 Trojan T 105 batteries. Power usage is about 600 kWh monthly

2) 1.5 KW Inverter from Inverluz/MEGATONE functionally similar to Trace DR series with 4 Trojan T-105 batteries. Power usage more variable up to 350 kWH monthly.

Backup from a small diesel generator using manual switches to both 1 and 2 above.

What would it take on the north coast to solve both problems with separate systems? What is needed for panels, charge controllers, etc., and cost for such.

3) Your opinion on one system providing power for both scenario 1 and 2.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
You thinking of doing a little Solar windeguy? :)

AE has her system for sale and as our price of electric goes higher with more outages, her price looks better and better.

Our electrician just made me an offer for trading an Outback solar controller for our 48V wind generator.

To hook up the wind generator again I need a long run of electrical wires that is over double what I paid a couple of years ago. Around $400. US. He says that I can optimize my 3 sets of 4 solar panels with another controller.... but still need the wires.

:dead:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
You thinking of doing a little Solar windeguy? :)

While anything is possible, the space to mount what I think would be enough panels would be the challenge.

Looking for what an expert would say to solve the problem.

GREC

Apr 27, 2013
GREC: I have two potential applications for solar power on the north coast.

1) 3.6 KW Trace DR series inverter with 8 Trojan T 105 batteries. Power usage is about 600 kWh monthly

2) 1.5 KW Inverter from Inverluz/MEGATONE functionally similar to Trace DR series with 4 Trojan T-105 batteries. Power usage more variable up to 350 kWH monthly.

Backup from a small diesel generator using manual switches to both 1 and 2 above.

What would it take on the north coast to solve both problems with separate systems? What is needed for panels, charge controllers, etc., and cost for such.

3) Your opinion on one system providing power for both scenario 1 and 2.
Consumption of 600Kw per month:

With a 440 amp battery bank at 24vdc you are pretty limited to how many amps you can charge and discharge in and out of the bank safely.
A bank that size with those types of batteries I would not recommend exceeding 40a per hour in charging capacity.

If you wanted to go all solar you need about 4Kw of panels and 32 T105 batteries.

Yes, one system is better, providing the inverters are close to the battery bank.

Being this is my business I don’t think the moderator will allow me to give quotations on this site?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Consumption of 600Kw per month:

With a 440 amp battery bank at 24vdc you are pretty limited to how many amps you can charge and discharge in and out of the bank safely.
A bank that size with those types of batteries I would not recommend exceeding 40a per hour in charging capacity.

If you wanted to go all solar you need about 4Kw of panels and 32 T105 batteries.

Yes, one system is better, providing the inverters are close to the battery bank.

Being this is my business I don’t think the moderator will allow me to give quotations on this site?

If you were to take out an ad on DR1, there is no problem posting a quotation. Being that I asked specifically what it woudl cost, and I have no connection to your business I don't think there would be a problem, but you could check with Robert.

When I did my estimate I came up with twenty(20) Jinko JKM-235P 210 watt panels and that matches your advice on 4KW of panels for 600 kWh a month. I got price quotes delivered to my door for 210 watt panels at $285 dollars each for a panel cost of 20 delivered at 5,700 US.

32 batteries is about $4,000 US which will need to be replaced every three to four years.

Add the price for the appropriate number of charge controllers, mounting hardware and labor set up, perhaps another $3,000 US?

Total cost somewhere around $13,000 US is my guesstimate. I suspect local prices quoted are higher?

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
How much do you guys worry about having batteries stolen? Having them in a room with an outside entrance, I know you have to keep it well locked. But will thieves go after something else before going after heavy batteries?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
How much do you guys worry about having batteries stolen? Having them in a room with an outside entrance, I know you have to keep it well locked. But will thieves go after something else before going after heavy batteries?

Thieves will steal anything if they can. Thieves are very creative. Do not underestimate them. Inverters, charge controllers and solar panels are more expensive than batteries.

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
net metering

Here is another thread that might help you.

http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/126506-p-like-photovoltaics.html

I have the "Smart Meter" that was very smart at ripping me off and got no help from Edenorte. That's how this thread got started. We are still way below 700 kWh's per month and the generator seldom starts. I don't know what it takes to go to Net Metering but I'd rather not deal with Edenorte.
http://www.dr1.com/forums/environme...tem-installed-kudos-dr-gov-agency-edesur.html

For net metering you have to deal with 2 entities the CNE & EDESUR, while the CNE has a very broad directive, they are anything but typical DR red tape, the are very professional, effective, informative and prompt, as well the same can be said for the EDESUR alternative energy team, they are dedicated personal handling net metering contracts, conversions and hookups, they make the process extremely painless and in our case beat all the
deadlines they give for time of deliverable.

All CNE contact was done via email, except the pickup of the certification which was almost immediate.

Then with the Certificate in hand, after contact with the engineer in charge at EDESUR, he verified I had filled all paper work out correctly via email, 1 visit to his office to drop of sign contract, with 24 hours (std. time 4 days)they came inspected the installation, with 2 days (std. time 2 weeks) they installed the Bi-Directional meter.

Since then we pay a standard connection fee of RD$38.00 every month, which in itself is silly, surely it cost more to process that bill than I pay them.

Our average consumption previously was about 650 - 705 Kwh per month, our average production is about 1050 Kwh per month.

We expect a check in January for around RD$25,000.00, if that really come through it really will prove EDESUR has a great Net metering program, and by me they already do.

No FEAR

g'luck

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Nice to hear from you Don Luis. You have the experience and knowledge about this. Thanks for posting.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Fall update. Our solar system has been doing a great job. What little Edenorte that we must use has stayed under the magic 700 kwh.

The days have gotten shorter and I see that we are only getting around 3 amps starting at around 8AM and by 4:30PM around the same.

With the shorter days our AM/PM lights use is higher and we have added a couple more security lights. One guest apt. also is being used. Our 3/4 hp pool pump broke and could not be fixed so had to buy a 1 hp pump.

So I have had to add 3 more Edenorte hours on the timers to keep everything going so the generator does not kick in. It might put us just over the 700 kwh's. DANG.

How's things with your systems?