Changes in Sosua

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I looked at the video, Bob. Interesting. One of my sons coming for a visit in earlyJanuary, this is one of the places we will go. Looks like a good place to take photos.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Rofl!

Another big positive for the Sosua/Cabarete area is the opening of Monkey Jungle. This is a top quality zip line along with tours of large natural monkey habitat where you can interact with the monkeys. It also has a small bar and serves snacks. A great family outing. The best part is 100% of the profits goes to support the on site medical and dental clinic that provides free care and medicines for the local poor Dominican and Hatian population. You should take the time to visit it. Here is the web site for more information on the Jungle and clinics. Monkey Jungle Dominicana | Benefits Projects in Dominican Republic & Haiti
As a plug we still need some volunteers, especially if you have some medical backround.
NO Robert I do not have any interest this venture other then volunteering for a very good organization and one that will have a positive effect on the area. So it would be great if this post could be left up in its original form. Thanks

BobK

You read my posts about the horse show? I guess that we all have to put in disclaimers and such to post anything. ROFL. (Perhaps someone does not want a better and new Sosua?)

I agree. Monkey Jungle is worth seeing and doing. Do it tomorrow, Dec18, and see the horse show too.

trabajadora

Aug 29, 2007
Lindsey, thanks for starting this thread with the news about the new City Market. I am really happy to read about the new investments/services and other improvements in Sosua and Cabarete, especially about that light. I always tried to go in and out of Playero during the "not busy" times because the light situation was terrible. Sounds to me like it's a big improvement.
And now I can't wait to come back and check out Monkey Jungle! I didn't even know the DR had monkeys (lol).

I'm starting to miss it there.....

Reactions: LindseyKaufman

Taino808

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010
Sosua and other coastal towns, have for years requested more investment and human resources from the many corrupt Dominican officials that have come and gone, whom mind you, have never invested enywhere else out side of Santo Domingo. The central government while always benefiting from the sumptuous tax foundations that are Sosua and other coastal towns have never given anything in return. These towns completely overlooked and tired of travelling down the many failed avenous in pursuit of a fair and equal distribution of the tax incentives, have had no other choice but to take matters in to their on hands. For years they?ve lobbyed to have the laws changed in order to take contral of their own future.

After the many years of power struggle between the central, and local governments an agreemant has been reached. In the past few years, the legislative body (congress) has made way to enact new laws to permit certain towns i.e.the coastal towns of this country to implement changes as the town people saw fit. As a result of these new laws, towns like Sosua are now freed from the passed ways of governing, (centralized goverment) hence, giving the alcaldias (mayors) more say and power as to how to spend the tax monies in these areas.

Many in the real estate and investment field like my self, have been waiting patiently, banking on a dynamic change in social politics. Finally these changes are in full effect, and because of them, I truely believe we are well on our way to a better and brighter tomorrow. These political changes eventually will open the flood gates and allow the productive engine that is the construction industry in this contry to look in the direction of these coastal towns for the first time in decades.

Investors like myself (architect by trade) with larg amount of empty/vacant land in Sosua, can now dream of a prosperous future in this less than touristy town. Also recently while finishing the blueprint, to an apartment and commercial building soon to begin construction in Sosua, owner of Jaques & Taveras Construction, friend of mine here in Santiago. Who also owns larg sums of land in Sosua, informs me, that due to the change in politics, he feels time has finally arrived to beggin investing in the area.

Surely we are not looking to turn any of these towns into some Disney park as stated in some other thread, this would be farthest from the truth, and purely impractical. From what I?ve seen, as far as ideas, and blueprints, what investors have in mind is a warmer more caribean feel, taste and look to these towns. Also what these real estate and investemt industries are looking for is to invest in the commercial and infrastructure fields of towns like Sosua, Cabarete and believe it or not, Boca Chica as well. I believe achieving only halt of the many changes investors have in mind will certainly invigorate tourism, the night life, and the economy of these towns in general.

I recognize these changes are in many ways an up hill battle, because ultamitely, as these coastal towns become more attractive and entertaining, more cash will eventually pour in to them, hence, attracting more of the same illegals that formed part of the ever present evil in Sosua today. I also understand the lines have been drawn long before this thread was created. Those of us who believe change can happen, and those against change.

We must recognize a few infiltrated individuals on this forum, who?s sole interest is to meddle, attack, criticize and inevitably misimforme everyone of the hopeless future places like Sosua will be without sex-tourism. Don?t get me wrong, these people gain absolutely nothing in applying this tactic other than the satisfaction of misimforming everybody on DR1 in the hopes of maintaining Sosua as is. However, these individuals whom love to revel in the murky and foul waters that is the sex-trade, wont sway the shifting tides nor halt the positive changes taking place in Sosua today and the days to come.

Before any of the benefits from the change in politics can take place, we have to keep fighting the many afflition devouring these coastal towns today. Also keep in mind that no matter how fast, or how long these changes take, this won?t shift the thinking of the few (Benedict Arnald) on this forum. And whether they like it or not, the malignant evil and it?s many tentacles that is corruption (sex-tourism) in these coastal towns, is a phase the Dominican tourism and real estate market must and will thoroughly tackle in order to open the way for a better and more prosperous tomorrow for both natives and expats.

ab2000

Nov 7, 2010
these individuals whom love to revel in the murky and foul waters that is the sex-trade, wont sway the shifting tides nor halt the positive changes taking place in Sosua today and the days to come.

... the malignant evil and it?s many tentacles that is corruption (sex-tourism) .

Beautifully said, Taino808!!!

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
Yep, the only sex happening in the DR is in Sosua....needs to be wiped out now!!!

You have a half a kilometer of overt "sex trade" on PC. You push it off this road and it just goes away. You push it off this road and all the corruption that exists goes away.

So, tourism basically wiped out. A few dozen happy expats left in town. Oh, I forgot, there is this long line up of high end tourists just waiting for Sosua to be "cleaned up" so they can roll in a spend wads of money. Let the prosperity run rampant. Grow Sosua, grow!!
If you build it, they will come. If you build it, they will come.

......well, maybe the russians will come. No sex trade in Russia, so all is cool.

Seriously....feed the hungry kids, work on some clean healthy drinking water, help the single mothers, fix the power grid, stop the abuse of power of the police....just a small list of things to be worried about in the Dominican Republic. Nope, its the sex tourists fault.

Reactions: Eddy

sacase

Aug 11, 2010
Sosua and other coastal towns, have for years requested more investment and human resources from the many corrupt Dominican officials that have come and gone, whom mind you, have never invested enywhere else out side of Santo Domingo. The central government while always benefiting from the sumptuous tax foundations that are Sosua and other coastal towns have never given anything in return. These towns completely overlooked and tired of travelling down the many failed avenous in pursuit of a fair and equal distribution of the tax incentives, have had no other choice but to take matters in to their on hands. For years they?ve lobbyed to have the laws changed in order to take contral of their own future.

After the many years of power struggle between the central, and local governments an agreemant has been reached. In the past few years, the legislative body (congress) has made way to enact new laws to permit certain towns i.e.the coastal towns of this country to implement changes as the town people saw fit. As a result of these new laws, towns like Sosua are now freed from the passed ways of governing, (centralized goverment) hence, giving the alcaldias (mayors) more say and power as to how to spend the tax monies in these areas.

Many in the real estate and investment field like my self, have been waiting patiently, banking on a dynamic change in social politics. Finally these changes are in full effect, and because of them, I truely believe we are well on our way to a better and brighter tomorrow. These political changes eventually will open the flood gates and allow the productive engine that is the construction industry in this contry to look in the direction of these coastal towns for the first time in decades.

Investors like myself (architect by trade) with larg amount of empty/vacant land in Sosua, can now dream of a prosperous future in this less than touristy town. Also recently while finishing the blueprint, to an apartment and commercial building soon to begin construction in Sosua, owner of Jaques & Taveras Construction, friend of mine here in Santiago. Who also owns larg sums of land in Sosua, informs me, that due to the change in politics, he feels time has finally arrived to beggin investing in the area.

Surely we are not looking to turn any of these towns into some Disney park as stated in some other thread, this would be farthest from the truth, and purely impractical. From what I?ve seen, as far as ideas, and blueprints, what investors have in mind is a warmer more caribean feel, taste and look to these towns. Also what these real estate and investemt industries are looking for is to invest in the commercial and infrastructure fields of towns like Sosua, Cabarete and believe it or not, Boca Chica as well. I believe achieving only halt of the many changes investors have in mind will certainly invigorate tourism, the night life, and the economy of these towns in general.

I recognize these changes are in many ways an up hill battle, because ultamitely, as these coastal towns become more attractive and entertaining, more cash will eventually pour in to them, hence, attracting more of the same illegals that formed part of the ever present evil in Sosua today. I also understand the lines have been drawn long before this thread was created. Those of us who believe change can happen, and those against change.

We must recognize a few infiltrated individuals on this forum, who?s sole interest is to meddle, attack, criticize and inevitably misimforme everyone of the hopeless future places like Sosua will be without sex-tourism. Don?t get me wrong, these people gain absolutely nothing in applying this tactic other than the satisfaction of misimforming everybody on DR1 in the hopes of maintaining Sosua as is. However, these individuals whom love to revel in the murky and foul waters that is the sex-trade, wont sway the shifting tides nor halt the positive changes taking place in Sosua today and the days to come.

Before any of the benefits from the change in politics can take place, we have to keep fighting the many afflition devouring these coastal towns today. Also keep in mind that no matter how fast, or how long these changes take, this won?t shift the thinking of the few (Benedict Arnald) on this forum. And whether they like it or not, the malignant evil and it?s many tentacles that is corruption (sex-tourism) in these coastal towns, is a phase the Dominican tourism and real estate market must and will thoroughly tackle in order to open the way for a better and more prosperous tomorrow for both natives and expats.

So in essence you are just happy because you think you are about to make a lot of money. Keep it real man.

Reactions: woofsback

woofsback

Bronze
Dec 20, 2009
the Rich get Richer....the Poor get Poorer.

unfortunately this is true
the more comfortable economically one is in life the more they strive to increaase it...thinking that they can be more comfortable
unfortunately there's only so much comfort one can buy...
the rest is silly trinkets and 5 min enjoyments then put away IF they feel like playing again

meanwhile all the WEALTH they are accumulating goes to waste
while they continue to build it off the backs of the poor

if they even gave 1/2 of that profit back to the poor...
there'd be none :)

but in a capitalistic way that won't happen
just ask bill gates and the group of billionaire philanthropists
how much money do you real need until it becomes a point that you have more than enuf :)

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
pharmacies and butchers

we now have a lot more options intead of being forced into the one expensive one in previous times .
All shopping can also now be done in this area rather than having to travel to Santiago or even Puerto Plata, this hasnt always been the case.

We have better equipped fereterias now that you can walk around and look at the goods with out having to ask first

arseniog

Banned
Dec 6, 2010
That new light is a pain the butt, cars coming from Puerto Plata side have to wait 60 seconds while north south traffic only needs 10 seconds for 1 or 2 cars to go. So then all east west traffic on both sides waits for 50 seconds for nothing.

I agree with you the new light is slowing down traffic very much going thru sosua. I have to take my children to school every morning and pass this light 2 times and then pick up my wife to go to work. Many other parents bringing their children to the Luis Hess school have said the same thing. The curve just before the beginning of the beach is now very dangerous when I drive back home. Many motos swing into the oncoming lane to pass the long traffic jam now created. In the afternoon i pick up my children and have to pass it again, it has really slowed things down. I know we maybe should put this on a different thread but I think it involves Changes in Sosua. Just because i dont believe this is a very good change i think it is ok to talk about it.

Taino808

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010
Some people take reading between the lines to a whole new level. If the only thing some people got out of my post, is that someone is going to make a few extra bucks, then you should check yourself. While on the subject, lets see if I understand you well, its okay for some people in the United States, Canada and Europe to make a little something on the side in the name progress, but if some spear chucking native from the Dominican Republic does the same, Oh hell no, we can?t have none of that.

Please, some people give new meaning to the word self-centered. By the way this thread is about CHANGES IN SOSUA, if you want to gripe about the upcoming progress creat your own thread.

Mack

Jan 10, 2009
Taino808, Don't let the naysayers get to you.
Thanks for your informative post.
Mack.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
While on the subject, lets see if I understand you well, its okay for some people in the United States, Canada and Europe to make a little something on the side in the name progress, but if some spear chucking native from the Dominican Republic does the same, Oh hell no, we can?t have none of that.

I am just questioning in the name of who's progress.

Am I wrong? The push is on to make Sosua a more upscale area, thus again pushing the people who have trouble making even a meager living, out of the area? I hear stuff like pushing the people out of Charamicos so a marina can be built....keep the poor people off the streets as it is an afront to our eyes? Just move em out to La Union....that solves the issue. Progress in one persons eyes could very well be a disaster in another's. I have seen the "plans" for Sosua....don't see any locals living where they do now in Sosua.

All I am saying is, the DR has a lot of very pressing social issues and it seem that the government is intent on just moving them around and away so that the rich can make more money. This has less to do with some girls out late at night at the bars than moving out the so called trash so the people with money can start making some serious cash.

Reactions: DavidZ

papi201

Dec 2, 2010
Yep, the only sex happening in the DR is in Sosua

Have you ever left Sosua?

You push it off this road and all the corruption that exists goes away.

No, then there's the real estate corruption....

..well, maybe the russians will come. No sex trade in Russia, so all is cool.

Ever been to Russia? I did..., Moscou, Saint-Petersburg and other cities. If you believe your own words, i feel sorry for you. And Russians spending their hollidays abroad? Prepare for the worst....:squareeye

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
So in essence you are just happy because you think you are about to make a lot of money. Keep it real man.

Come on, what's "wrong" about investing his own money and hoping for a return at some point in the future. That's capitalisim and that's what makes economys grow and prosper. It creates taxes that pay for improvments.

Of course he's happy about it. Investments don't always work out.

Status
Not open for further replies.