child visitation / support

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
Intersting read. Still not shour how it is figured out how much my girl would get from her domican men for his kid or how much i would have to pay if i gave her one. Yes i know more then the dom but would like to know both numbers.

I think it is a ''Turkey Shoot''.
Like I stated a teenager 19 years young was accused of getting a girl pregnant. The Fiscale ordered him (his Father also a Canadian) to pay $5000.oo pesos a month until the kid is 19 years old.
Others $1000.oo and the norm $2000.oo ; all in the mood of the court that day.
"Every pleasure has a pain''.
Russell

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
Unless I missed it, if you are from the USA is not the child also a US citizen... if so maybe the US Immigration may ask for Paternity test... being a US citizen should not be determined by a roll in the hay... or should it?

It's not that easy anymore. If the mother is a US citizen, then it's almost automatic. If the father is a US citizen, and he hasn't been a part of the child's life, it's not that easy as before. At times, they may ask for proof of paternity. Also, the father must sign for the child to get a US passport. The child or the mother can't just show up at the US embassy and say that his/her father is a US citizen therefore, they are a citizen by paternity.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
It's not that easy anymore. If the mother is a US citizen, then it's almost automatic. If the father is a US citizen, and he hasn't been a part of the child's life, it's not that easy as before. At times, they may ask for proof of paternity. Also, the father must sign for the child to get a US passport. The child or the mother can't just show up at the US embassy and say that his/her father is a US citizen therefore, they are a citizen by paternity.

https://do.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/birth/overview/

https://do.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/birth/transmit-citizenship/
Child born abroad and out of wedlock to a U.S. Citizen father

A child born outside of the United States to an U.S. citizen father where there is no marriage to the non-U.S. citizen mother is entitled to U.S. citizenship providing the U.S. citizen father had been physically present in the United States for the period of time as specified in previous paragraphs for children born in wedlock to one U.S. citizen and one non-U.S. citizen parent.

The following conditions must also be fulfilled:

The father must sign a sworn statement agreeing to provide financial support for the child until s/he reaches the age of 18 years; and…
…the following conditions are met:

the father provides a written statement acknowledging paternity;
or the child is legitimated under local law;
or paternity is established by a competent court before the child attains the age of 18 years;

https://do.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/birth/overview/

If your child has a potential claim to U.S. citizenship, it will be necessary for the U.S. citizen parent to execute an application for a “Consular Report of Birth of an American Citizen Abroad” before a consular officer. If your child is eligible for a Report of Birth, a passport can be obtained at the same time for an additional fee. U.S. citizens can often transmit citizenship to their children born abroad, but the transmission requirements vary depending on when the child was born and the marital status of the U.S. citizen parent. Please view our summary of transmission requirements.

beachcomber

Oct 15, 2003
As KateP stated she needs permission from you to take the child out of the country, however speaking from experience I was never asked for the "poder" except once in about 15-20 times traveling with my son when he was younger. I do not know if you could put in place a "impedimento salida" but I would ask a good reputable attorney about this. I do remember that for my son's Dominican passport both me and my spouse had to sign.
(good reputable attorney) isn't that an oxymoron I remember paying a lot of money for a divorce to a lawyer where all party sign the papers in his office only to find out two years later nothing has been filed and I was still married I had to pay for the divorce a second time needless to say his office was closed... beware of lawyers (chas123)

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
(good reputable attorney) isn't that an oxymoron I remember paying a lot of money for a divorce to a lawyer where all party sign the papers in his office only to find out two years later nothing has been filed and I was still married I had to pay for the divorce a second time needless to say his office was closed... beware of lawyers (chas123)

Hahaha..not to laugh at you but I had a close friend who went through the same thing. Lots of money spent and nothing. There are good lawyers here in the DR, just takes a bit of homework though (and $$$).

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Like everything else here, you cannot rely completely on what others say or do. You need to be actively involved and repeatedly demonstrate that you will followup and you will check their work and you will verify what you are being told. It needs to be clear that you will catch on to anything hinky sooner as opposed to later.

Don't pay for everything up front. Final payment is always conditional on an acceptable result. Even with the trades, it is important to get your workers invested in your project by having some of their capital committed alongside yours. If I am asked to fund the purchase of materials for a job, I advance only half and pay the other half when those materials are used up or the project advances to the next stage and more stuff is needed. If my contractor can't afford their share or is unwilling to go 50/50 temporarily, I find someone else.

Lawyers, sometimes, you have to hire another one to check the work done by the first one if you are suspicious. Check that paperwork has been filed. Ask for file reference numbers and receipts for payments to govt departments or the payment of fines/fees. Stipulate up front how often you expect your lawyer to followup with you to report progress. Make it clear that you are only prepared to wait 24 hours for replies to inquiries or emails. You are the client, you are paying the bills, it's all about you. If your lawyer doesn't get that or doesn't care, it's up to you to make a change and make sure they know why.

Doctors are the same. You have to talk to them, ask questions and be satisfied with their answers after doing your best to ascertain that what you are being told is in fact the case. Second opinions here like at home are a necessity. These professionals aren't gods to be worshiped and tiptoes around. They are people who can and do make mistakes. In the end, it's you who has the final say what happens to you.

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
You certainly have visitation rights.
As for custody, it is determined based on the best interests of the child.
As the legal father of the child, you can deny the mother authorization to leave the country with your child, although she may appeal your denial to the Justice of the Peace.

chas123

Jan 3, 2018
You certainly have visitation rights.
As for custody, it is determined based on the best interests of the child.
As the legal father of the child, you can deny the mother authorization to leave the country with your child, although she may appeal your denial to the Justice of the Peace.

Thank you Fabio.  But how does one go about denying the mother’s authorization to leave the country with the child?

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Agreed. I think even in the US if you put your name on the Birth Certificate, that is it. You have accepted responsibility as the father and at that point I've heard of cases in the US where courts don't care about the paternity test, they just go by the Birth Cert. as they want a father that will provide and now legally have one. She basically has hit a home run and now she can do whatever she wants.

...I know for sure that the US embassy will not give the child any visa,citizenship, whatever...unless you have a paternity test that shows you are the father....and of course a USA citizen...sooo what you might have done is signed up for long term child support.........Doc...........