COLOMBIA International Flight: Mandatory E-Registration = FAIL

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
So in my case neither BA nor Iberia asked about it at checkin and no mention of it during flight and not at entrance either. So is it mainly a form for leaving the DR then ?
A friend of mine was here from Sweden a few months arriving at PUJ. He did not have the form and when they swiped his passport they made him ago away and come back with the form filled out. A real hassle as I was waiting. Fortunately he got a worker to help him fill it out and I was helping on the phone. Fill it out, takes 5 minutes..............

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
A friend of mine was here from Sweden a few months arriving at PUJ. He did not have the form and when they swiped his passport they made him ago away and come back with the form filled out. A real hassle as I was waiting. Fortunately he got a worker to help him fill it out and I was helping on the phone. Fill it out, takes 5 minutes..............
I will now when I leave. Now I remember it. Just saying twice I experienced it wasnt required at entry. And I simply forgot. I think it is like the old forms. I sometimes just quickly scribbled something. Now they just keep that info digitally.

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
retired English teacher (30 years)
i was boarding a Copa flight to the DR that continued to Colombia about a year ago and a bunch of people were standing outside of the counter frantically using their phones. It was that Colombia form that they were trying to fill out. Copa would not let them check in without it.... Better get it done................
Can't get it done because the site is irretrievably broken. We just spoke to a family friend (dominicana) who went from D.R. to Colombia a few weeks ago. She was never asked for the form and filled out paperwork upon arrival. Knock on wood that this is how it'll be.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I will now when I leave. Now I remember it. Just saying twice I experienced it wasnt required at entry. And I simply forgot. I think it is like the old forms. I sometimes just quickly scribbled something. Now they just keep that info digitally.

Guys, (not only you two) this is NOT about DR forms. It’s for COLOMBIA.

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
Again, which form are you talking about? This thread was never about the D.R. form.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
People fly from DR to Colombia every day.

Please stay on topic.
Of course. I apologize. I traveled to Colombia twice while I lived in the DR. I recommend it and Dominicans don’t need a visa. At least they didn’t used to.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I am going to Colombia in early September. I wasn't going to do the form until nearer the date but given the OP's experience I decided to do it now. I had a similar experience to his. I could not fill in some of the fields, but carried on regardless, doing what I could, I then got a page saying that my pre-registration had been successfully generated and that an email had been sent to me. I checked the email and the document had my wrong date of birth and flight. I'll try again nearer the date of travel but if I don't get any more success I will go with this document and hope for the best. Presumably, staff at the airport must be used to these problems but I look forward to hearing how Lucas61 gets on.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Sounds good except: What happened? Were they asked for the mandatory form? From what I've read I might be refused to board the plane. Of the 20 countries I've visited Colombia is THE WORST pre-flight stress experience. Should be a time of joy and anticipation, not frustration and brooding.
They should be back any day now. I'll let you know.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I watched the following video on Youtube about completing the Colombian MIG form. The first thing he says is that you should use Google Chrome when completing the form. Maybe this is why some people have problems. It also says that it should be completed within 72 days of arrival/departure.

Reactions: JD Jones

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
I watched the following video on Youtube about completing the Colombian MIG form. The first thing he says is that you should use Google Chrome when completing the form. Maybe this is why some people have problems. It also says that it should be completed within 72 days of arrival/departure.

I mentioned that close to a week ago in post #13.

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
While I am at it, a couple of posts later I mentioned that customs are likely to ask the phone number of the tourists Airbnb. That got called into question about being like something Cuba would do. Pretty ironic coming from someone who doesn't seem to mind being fingerprinted when entering the DR.

Reactions: Billp16

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
Another fun fact.....when banking at an ATM, the machine will offer you a currency conversion at a crappy rate. If you decline the offer, it will give you money at a reasonable rate.

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
Hello All,

This is an update. The one month in Medellin was wonderful and we will return next year to Cartagena. However, we had big problems at Las Americas and almost missed our flight. It was a disaster. The first problem was that the formulario required by Colombian immigration was impossible to complete. The problem came with a question somethning like ?Cual es la ciudad donde vienes? It's a drop-down menu from which you select your city of origin. However, the menu was vacant of data, so a selection was not possible. Neither was sit permissible to type in your city. Therefore, it was impossible to proceed with the application.

Our flight left via COPA early in the morning and so we arrived at the airport the night before. The COPA desk was closed until 5:30 in the morning, so we couldn't get help there. We then proceeded to the generic information desk. The employees there were very helpful. However, they also failed to fill out the applications, one for each of us. We then went to Wingo which had boarding in progress to Colombia. There we engaged an employee who took us under his wing (!) and spent half an hour assisting us. He managed to fill out two applications and email them to us. He was typing so fast and furiously that I was never able to figure out how he managed success where we and other airport employees failed. Amazingly, when we went to get our boarding passes in the morning, we were not even allowed to enter the boarding pass line without showing these forms! And then we were asked again when we arrived at the desk. It appears that if you do not have these forms filled out, you will not fly, and that you will lose your ticket and your money. This is a big GOTCHA. And what's dumbfounding is that this Colombian form has almost no information on it, only name, DOB, passport number, about 5 items, the kind of information that is already available, say, on your passport. SOLUTION: Next time we will fly during the day when we get help directly from the airlines with hours of time before boarding. We might also investigate Wingo, since they have direct flights, and because that employee was so helpful to us.

The second problem, a minor but disturbing one, was that immigration was on my Dominican wife like "white on rice," as if she had committed a crime. Her passport was not acceptable. Officials took her into a back room and demanded to see her CEDULA or she could not fly. What the hell? Before we left, she asked if she should bring her CEDULA and I told her it was not necessary but better to bring it. Was the problem that she is dark and they thought she was Haitian? This was disturbing.

The third problem was that she was not allowed to pass immigration unless she could demonstrate paid accommodations. I explained that the hotels we had planned for our itinerary were budget hotels that did not permit advance registration. "You will not board without a paid hotel!" I scambled on my smartphone and could only find expensive venues, so I grabbed one for $115.00 per night and paid for one night. Then I was told we had to pay for 30 days. I argued about that and the immigration agent let us go. What a mess. Both with problem one and problem three we almost had our trip cancelled. SOLU
TION: It turns out that in Guatape, we stayed at Lakeview Hostel, sharing a dorm room. It was a wonderful experience and very comfortable and cost only about $10.00 USD per person. If you go to hostelworld.com you can find at least 30 hostels in Cartagena with very low prices. You can register and pay a 10% deposit for your entire stay and pay very little. We will do this in advance of our next trip. So we are expecting to limit obstacles to the Colombian formulario here. By the way, we also couldn't fill it out when we returned but it was never asked for in Colombia. Further, we did fill out the e-forms for the DR but they were not asked for either. A member here said they had no problem with the formulario. I don't know how that could be if it failed for me here, in Colombia, with employees at the airport, regardless of which OS or platform I used . . .

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Thanks for the update, Lucas61

I had a completely different experience when I went to Colombia a couple of weeks ago. I went with Arajet to Cartagena. I had completed the Check-Mig form to the best of my ability despite the online problems and at check-in they asked if I had done it and I showed them the paper printout of the email I had received, confirming that it had been completed. No problem. I was not asked about paid-for accommodation, which was just as well because it was not paid in advance (not a possibility for the hotels I had booked on Booking.com). Coming back, some official asked me while I was in line for check-in if I had done the form and this time I showed him the email on my phone. No problem.

I have a feeling that Lucas61's above problems may have been caused because he was travelling with a Dominican woman whereas I was an English man alone. Colombia is one of the few countries that allows Dominicans to enter without a visa, and they may be worried that the real reason for travel may be to leave the DR permanently. That worries me, because I have promised the Dominican family I support, a woman (to whom I am not married) and two children, to take them all to Colombia in two years time.

Reactions: AlaPlaya

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
We travelled last year to Colombia and went through an agency. They did all the e-forms for both the DR and Colombia with information we provided. 20 of us, all Dominicans; all but one flying on Dominican passports. All hotels booked for the whole trip. No issues for anyone coming or going.
246471301_10225203745655489_1760070703675987299_n.jpg

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009
Hello All,

Tomorrow will be my wife's first time on an airplane and the first time leaving the D.R. and she is 61. But problems! We are flying SDQ < PTY < MDE on Copa. Copa sent am message with the requirement that an e-form must be completed: migracioncolombia.gov.co/pre-registro The form is broken. There are three fields that are greyed out and/or do not permit me to enter information and I'm not allowed to continue. I've tried different browsers, etc. I also emailed administration at the website (and I have proof of that email) asking how I might provide the required information manually.

Our flight leaves around 6:30 AM on Thursday and we'll be hanging out at Las Americas at 6:00 PM tomorrow, around 12 hours before our flight leaves. Now I'm thinking we should leave earlier as the COPA desk might be closed in the evening, so that we have time to resolve this should they say we cannot fly without this form.

I'd appreciate any advice.
use a diferent browser and it will work

Reactions: AlaPlaya

Big

Apr 24, 2019
We travelled last year to Colombia and went through an agency. They did all the e-forms for both the DR and Colombia with information we provided. 20 of us, all Dominicans; all but one flying on Dominican passports. All hotels booked for the whole trip. No issues for anyone coming or going.
246471301_10225203745655489_1760070703675987299_n.jpg
Sir, that is a really good picture!