Commonwealth of Haiti territory of the USA

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
No conspiracy whatsoever, but if you think the US doesn't have any influence when it comes to these type of appointments, then I've got a bridge to sell you.
CITR, please reset your "humor detection" monitor.

It missed the ;) and :cheeky:

I really don't care who or why Clinton was named. I don't believe for a moment that even if the UN chose a committee of Bill Gates, George Patton, Clinton and Ghandi didly would get done. Oh, there'd be a lot of meetings, a bunch of strongly worded scholarly position papers written, dozens of junkets of high ranking UN officials to Haiti, impressive press conferences held and several dozen cases of good caviar and brandy consumed...but Haiti will be the same.

If UN would better serve the Haitian people by just doing an Amable Aristy helicopter money drop over the country. At least *something* might get to the people instead of suave international folks with polished wingtips being the primary beneficiaries...

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I don't think the US govt would really have that much to do. Bill Clinton is a very smart guy, for some reason if the US govt were trying to push to have him somewhere it probably wouldnt be for special enoy to Haiti. The article I posted states that after being offered the position, he checked with the state department if it was ok (i.e "honey, can I go to Haiti). Bill although being a democrat, was touring around with George Bush Sr. to help get solidiraty for some issue (blurry today), and also was in charge for the Tsunami relief. It seems that he takes a somewhat non-partisan stance when it comes to huminatirian issues. Being in Haiti is somewhat political - it would be even bigger if he were special envoy to the middle east, but he's not. I dont think there's too much to read into this.
It's Bill's first real UN job.

I think he wants a shot at the next U.N. Grand Poobah job. Easy work, pay is good, no real measure of success/failure and he'd get lot's of International babes...

Mar 2, 2008
I don't think the US govt would really have that much to do. Bill Clinton is a very smart guy, for some reason if the US govt were trying to push to have him somewhere it probably wouldnt be for special enoy to Haiti. The article I posted states that after being offered the position, he checked with the state department if it was ok (i.e "honey, can I go to Haiti). Bill although being a democrat, was touring around with George Bush Sr. to help get solidiraty for some issue (blurry today), and also was in charge for the Tsunami relief. It seems that he takes a somewhat non-partisan stance when it comes to huminatirian issues. Being in Haiti is somewhat political - it would be even bigger if he were special envoy to the middle east, but he's not. I dont think there's too much to read into this."

I think most ex-presidents tend to take a more bi-partisan or non-partisan position once away from the bunker mentality of the White House. Many become very effective international statesmen, and perhaps the same will be true of Clinton.

Bill absolutely cleared it with the State Department, as well as with Obama, as he should have, and should be expected.

I'm equally certain Hillary is checking the whereabouts of Monica as we speak.

Just kidding, Chip.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I think most ex-presidents tend to take a more bi-partisan or non-partisan position once away from the bunker mentality of the White House. Many become very effective international statesmen, and perhaps the same will be true of Clinton.
CITR, would you attach a copy of that that memo to my homeboy Jimmah Cahtah?

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
catcherintherye said:
Where's my smiley face?/?

SmileyFacePizzaLarge.jpg

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
in a perfect world

Geez guys! Why did everyone skip over my Aid money bit? There's a billion dollars heading next door, and a lot of it through consulting firms. Does anyone think that DR companies have any chance at receiving these contracts from US, Can, or Euro aid money??

Most of those "consultants" also known as the "beltway bandits" are in the development business,,, which is a big business and has the remarkable ability to renew itself even as it fails its mission year after year.

I laugh when I read that Chavannes Jean Baptiste is in NY gathering money for "seeds" which will be shipped to Haiti. Well, NY and money, that is a match, but the SEEDS should come from here.

The DR could certainly do this job if it weren't so busy decrying and defending. It could start with the future of Haiti, the university students here /between4,000 and 15,000 have not one single program working with them, not one NGO, not one meeting room, not one faculty advisior.... DUH .......

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
MA assuming you even read this post (hint hit "remove user from ignore list") I would like to know how to go about applying for consulting work in Haiti. As I have an upcoming project in Haiti and am local, I would like nothing better than to have an office in Haiti and do good, honest work to improve the lives of Haitians.

aarhus

www.johnboyter.com
Jun 10, 2008
Is there any reality to what is being discussed in this thread. Haiti as a part of the US.

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
As for Haiti as part of the US, no not gonna happen.

Chip, as for getting contracts in haiti. You can check the US tenders at merx.com, its a canadian website, but has contracts open for bidding. Some of the contracts might be sole source, or not open to the public. So best you can do is some research as to what firms are working there, and submit your resume and qualifications. You have a civil engineering degree, that could come in handy. Other requirements might included knowledge of french, or creole, and previous experience in a foreign country or development. I had done a bit of research on this as to canadian companies involved in Haiti, as it would be a good way to earn decent money, and visit on the weekends - most of the postings however were for Masters or PHD grads.

As for MA's mention of seeds being brought back from NY, often big seed companies like Monsanto will make loans in seeds (which can also be given as microcredits), which due to genetic alteration require a farmer to purchase seeds year after year, as their crops will be barren. Neat little trick they do.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Chip, as for getting contracts in haiti. You can check the US tenders at merx.com, its a canadian website, but has contracts open for bidding. Some of the contracts might be sole source, or not open to the public. So best you can do is some research as to what firms are working there, and submit your resume and qualifications. You have a civil engineering degree, that could come in handy. Other requirements might included knowledge of french, or creole, and previous experience in a foreign country or development. I had done a bit of research on this as to canadian companies involved in Haiti, as it would be a good way to earn decent money, and visit on the weekends - most of the postings however were for Masters or PHD grads.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
consulting at what?

MA assuming you even read this post (hint hit "remove user from ignore list") I would like to know how to go about applying for consulting work in Haiti. As I have an upcoming project in Haiti and am local, I would like nothing better than to have an office in Haiti and do good, honest work to improve the lives of Haitians.

I never put you on my ignore list. Just said that I would in the future if you continued to PM me over the issue on which we so disagree.

As for Haiti, here are some of the current job openings:
ReliefWeb Haiti Vacancies

However lots of the missionary groups etc always welcome long term vistiters.

As for being paid....... well....that is another story entirely.

As for being "local" I don't think that you are, at least not to Haiti.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I never put you on my ignore list. Just said that I would in the future if you continued to PM me over the issue on which we so disagree.

As for Haiti, here are some of the current job openings:
ReliefWeb Haiti Vacancies

However lots of the missionary groups etc always welcome long term vistiters.

As for being paid....... well....that is another story entirely.

As for being "local" I don't think that you are, at least not to Haiti.

merci beaucoup

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I'm I the only one who's heard of this? Giving back Guantanamo to Cuba. SOON. Deal in the making with Haiti. (Dominican content) How will this effect US tourism and investment here?
Providing this crap is true..
The same way the military bases that existed in Puerto Rico affected tourism and investment in the DR.... no effect what-so-ever. And this is taking into account that Punta Cana, accounting for half of all tourists to the DR and the most popular tourist destination in the Caribbean, is closer to Puerto Rico than it is to Santo Domingo!

What happens in one country has little to no effect on the other. The revolution that Haiti went through with Aristide recently had NO EFFECT on the DR, its tourism, and its investment.

Now, what does have an effect on the DR, albeit its no a negative effect as far as tourism and investment goes, is the consistent mismanagement of Haiti by its own leaders.

But, perhaps, and this is a wild guess, they are simply not smart enough to figure this out.

Cuba IQ 85
Puerto Rico IQ 84
Dominican Republic IQ 84

Haiti IQ 72

On the other hand, Haiti is not the only country with such low IQ (these others are wealthier than Haiti):

Antigua and Barbuda IQ 75
Dominica IQ 75
Jamaica 72

But, almost all these countries (and the others not presented here, but included in the link) got their independence very recently, while Haiti has been one of the oldest 'free' ex-colony in the world, perhaps that explains it.

IQ and the Wealth of Nations by Richard Lynn and Tatu Vanhanen.

-NALs

?

? bient?t

But, perhaps, and this is a wild guess, they are simply not smart enough to figure this out.

Cuba IQ 85
Puerto Rico IQ 84
Dominican Republic IQ 84

Haiti IQ 72

On the other hand, Haiti is not the only country with such low IQ (these others are wealthier than Haiti):

Antigua and Barbuda IQ 75
Dominica IQ 75
Jamaica 72

But, almost all these countries (and the others not presented here, but included in the link) got their independence very recently, while Haiti has been one of the oldest 'free' ex-colony in the world, perhaps that explains it.

IQ and the Wealth of Nations by Richard Lynn and Tatu Vanhanen.

-NALs
Folks, you know NALs got me on 'ignore,' but this is worth repeating: "...not smart enough."

Wow!

NALs, the University of Connecticut is calling: IT WANTS ITS EDUCATION BACK!

On the other hand, you are far wealthier than I am, but my IQ is higher. Go figer!

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
i missed in that arrogant list the mentioning of the US's IQ.
maybe been too low below the oyther mentioned countries to get mentioned.

and of course Puerto Rico did not have any influence on our dominican tourism volume,
heck, what has Puerto Rico to offer??
Mc Donalds???
what been developed there in all those years under full US control/management/influence??
absolutely nothing.

is there any point to see in the NAL's post??

will go and clean those damn glasses
Mike