Crime in Santo Domingo

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I don't want to go too off topic, but I did a lot of research into Dominican Republic before I came here, I liked Cuba but it didn't tick as many boxes as Dom Rep. I never ever spent any degree of time with expats, even when I first moved here and only spoke basic Spanish, my aim was always to live in a different culture. I've never really understood the idea of some people on this forum that they come to DR, say they can't learn the language and then spend all their time hanging around with people from their own country, trying to work out how to buy things they had at home and talking about Dominicans as though they are some sub-species. I completely disagree with the idea that most people only have friends from their own socio economic background. I'm a Cambridge graduate with quite a lot of money and my two best friends don't have higher education qualifications nor very much money. I guess I make friends with people based on who they are, not on what they've got.

And regarding safety, yes Santo Domingo is a poorer city to London where I come from, but I think that if you are hanging around with locals, you are not such a target. If you can speak the language this also helps you to understand the place a lot better, and to feel safer. Dominicans are constantly telling me "don't go there, don't do that, be careful if you park there, don't leave that bag there and so on" and through listening to their advice, I've managed to keep safe. Finally, I think that if you are going to live here as a foreigner, you have to understand that we have so much more than most people here, and there will be those who try to take things away. When things get stolen or when someone tries to defraud you, you have to get over it quickly. It's happened to me several times, but I console myself by thinking that the person who took what I had probably needed it more than I did, and then move on.

brilliant observations.

Kingston, Jamaica, is not a city for the faint of heart. it makes Santo Domingo look like a Sunday School, by comparison. not even the bravest of souls like to contemplate the idea of venturing downtown at night. i have a friend from New Jersey who is on the police force in Newark. he goes to Jamaica twice per year, and hangs out with cops in the toughest precincts in the city, and nobody bothers him. he is like an untouchable. at night he is riding around in cop cars, by day he is roaming around the neighborhoods, eating local food from the area denizens.

if you move to a third world country, and you go to live in a gated community with your Euromerican brethren, you are only safe insofar as you do not leave your secure surroundings. your halting apprehensions alone will give you away as an easy mark.

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
Don't get me wrong Tropical Paul,
but it can be dangerous to swing the pendulum too far the other way.

Balance is a good thing......all the time.
'Going Native' is a popular option with some...... as we all know.
Each to his/her own

Just saying......

I for one have always gone native here in the DR. maybe it's because I have always been round dominicans for most of my life. Some expats are more dangerous than the natives.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I for one have always gone native here in the DR. maybe it's because I have always been round dominicans for most of my life. Some expats are more dangerous than the natives.

a Dominican will swindle you out of enough to buy a Samsung Galaxy. a gringo will swindle you out of your skin.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
I have said this many times if you look like a dopey target you will get taken here in Rd or the States or Euro especially in Italy..

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
i don't think Pee Wee Herman would last long at 184 and Creston at 4am..just sayin..

lol

You should see my kids Sensei back when they were learning Shotokan.

He is 5'4 and looks more nerdier than Pee Wee. I will leave it at that.

He is one tough dude............................

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
I would not go by just looks. Just saying.............

You are 100% correct. It's not just looks. A scam artist has a sort of sixth sense. They know how to read people's actions, mannerisms, speech patterns, etc. A 2 bit thief is basically an opportunist.

KyleMackey

Bronze
Apr 20, 2015
OK.

Let's get back to SD.

Not an expert like others, but in the Crowne Plaza Malecon, there is a mezzanine level second floor. Up the steps there is the restaurant, a mini art gallery and a business conference room. A GF and her Mom were in the art gallery area taking photos. Mom put her phone down on a side table and poof it was gone in 20 seconds. There was a lot of DR women for a conference in that area. Besides bling it seems Androids and IPhones are highly sought after.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
Copied, and pasted from today's DR1 news highlights. this is an extension of an agreement that has been in place for years. Not limited to Santo Domingo, but very effective none the less:

DR and NY Police sign agreement to fight crime
The Dominican Police signed a five-year cooperation and transnational crime fighting agreement with the New York Police on Monday, 27 March 2017 in Santo Domingo. Signing were Mayor General Nelson Peguero Paredes, who is the director of the National Police, and James P. O’Neill, New York City Police Commissioner. 

The agreement focuses on fighting transnational crime, focusing on drug trafficking, terrorism, arms contraband, human trafficking, maritime fraud, cyber crime, money laundering, business crimes, banking crimes, credit card fraud, and the preparing, distribution and use of fraudulent travel documents. 

With this agreement the authorities of both countries will share intelligence to prove or refute the existence of criminal activity, identify those involved in criminal activities, their methods, and reveal evidence of criminal activity that is necessary for the detection and prevention of transnational crimes.

The agreement also includes cooperation in capacity-building, including the exchange of personnel for training.

The general director of the Police, Maj. Gen. Nelson Peguero Paredes said that the agreement is part of efforts to strengthen the efficiency of the Police in the combat and prevention of crime. To follow up on this agreement, a Joint Committee was appointed to be responsible for its implementation.

Following the signing of this agreement at the Police headquarters, James O 'Neill was received by President Danilo Medina in his office at the Presidential Palace. 

http://www.policianacional.gob.do/po...ansnacionales/
http://eldia.com.do/policia-rd-y-ny-firman-acuerdo/

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
Not an expert like others, but in the Crowne Plaza Malecon, there is a mezzanine level second floor. Up the steps there is the restaurant, a mini art gallery and a business conference room. A GF and her Mom were in the art gallery area taking photos. Mom put her phone down on a side table and poof it was gone in 20 seconds. There was a lot of DR women for a conference in that area. Besides bling it seems Androids and IPhones are highly sought after.

You would think those dressed up women from the barrio would behave themselves at a fancy place like that

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Recently today:

http://www.diariolibre.com/noticias...-raso-activo-de-la-policia-nacional-AK6682424

Google translated:

SANTO DOMINGO. Police sources reported that the wounded man, after committing an assault on a building of ARS Constitution, in the sector of Piantini of the National District, is a satin asset of the national police.
His name is Luis Enrique Reyes Javier, and currently is involved in the national police Hospital emergency.
The incident occurred past noon when three men, who were traveling on a motorcycle, chased a lady who apparently took the money to the insurance institution, located in the seminary Street, between avenues on February 27 and Roberto Pastoriza. Men went after her, had to present and took the money.
Seconds later, while fleeing men were intercepted by a police patrol, which was in the area. Police officers injured Javier Reyes, who took the money and was carrying a firearm.

This is the typical assault these days in the better areas of Santo Domingo. Banks and in this case insurance offices are being watched in search of easy victims.

A police officer involved and that isn't so surprising but the fact that it is being acknowledged publicly is something that would not have happened before. There is hope. PN/military are on the streets now and in this case they foiled a robbery. Still not enough and the citizens are angry as the earlier acento article.

Main lesson here for foreigners, be extra cautious and aware when banking in Santo Domingo or carrying decent cash sums even in the so called safer areas.

KyleMackey

Bronze
Apr 20, 2015
You would think those dressed up women from the barrio would behave themselves at a fancy place like that

And they were. Nice professional, almost like flight attendants. Would be interesting to know what the industry was.