Crime in Santo Domingo

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
And they were. Nice professional, almost like flight attendants. Would be interesting to know what the industry was.

They drag these people from the barrios dress them up and invite them to "conferences" at those hotels. Too bad it wasn't cought on camera.

Danceelite

Mar 22, 2007
I've been hanging around here for years reading this board regularly and seldom post but this is a good topic! My early trips were to santo domingo, Boca Chica. I remember my buddy wondering off into Andres and me driving the rental to find him fast as I was told how dangerous Andres was back in 2004. Nothing happened but it did look very strange as four guys following him as he got into the rental in what I thought was the nick of time. My own stupididity was going out in an obvious rental back then a suzuki box SUV. I left Barcelo downtown to find something to eat at 3am. I found a open resturant on a downtown side street had my first cubano sandwich great eating. My rental was the only car on the street I was a bit over dressed as I didn't bring any casual clothes. I got stares and felt very uncomfortable as I finished my meal got in the rental and left. Two blocks down the street and I witnessed a gun battle between two vehicles full of guys. Shaken a bit I couldnt even find the hotel. My spanish was naught at that time and I ask for directions numerous times to no avail. I finally paid a cab to follow him back to my hotel. Later I found that had repeatedly drove under the hotel missing Maximum Gomez. I did make back safely.

My only real run in with a crimnal attempt was my drive to Santiago for the first time. We parked the rental and was walking toward a park when a motochoncho I thought was out of control came at us I reached to help the guy as he reached for my neck and tried to snatch my gold chain. A huge fight was next as he and I battled and I was able to retain my chain and he exscaped on his motor cycle. I still have that gold chain, however now I wear below my tee shirt when I am in country. I grew up in SE washington DC and now I take all the precautious I took there when in country. I don't look or carry myself like a victum and I havent been victumized since and I have been in country numerous times since.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Danceelite "I grew up in SE washington DC and now I take all the precautious I took there when in country. I don't look or carry myself like a victum and I havent been victumized since and I have been in country numerous times since."

This is what all people should do when visiting here. I guess if you are Dorthy from Kansas you might not have street smarts but there are people that have them but don't use them when visiting this Island paradise.

southern

I love Hillary!
Dec 13, 2016
They drag these people from the barrios dress them up and invite them to "conferences" at those hotels. Too bad it wasn't cought on camera.

Exactly, some people are looking to assimilate and for the full Dominican experience, well there you have it.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
A couple of Venezuelan atracadores were recently captured (it appears at least one died) with the help of civilians. They were driving the SUV in Santo Domingo and apparently robbed some Chinese guy or business. The Dominican guy driving the Daihatsu truck saw them trying to flee and decided to ram into their SUV. The rest is history.

The videos may be a little strong for some (no gore though), so watch them at your own peril. lol

[video=youtube;0kIAZpPVRwQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kIAZpPVRwQ[/video]

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
[video=youtube;Sl8LPcxllS4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sl8LPcxllS4[/video]

If Venezuelan criminals keep this tendency going, it will not be long before the relatively few anti-Venezuelan feelings among Dominicans grow into full blown xenophobia, despite the fraternal feeling that exist between these two countries.

There has been way too many criminal incidents involving Venezuelans.

From my understanding, a similar thing happened in Panama. At first the Venezuelans were welcomed by the Panamanian people, but with time the very Venezuelan community (a minority among them, but enough to create bad feelings among the locals) created a backlash. Now Venezuelans have a generally bad reputation in that country and a lot of people don't want them there.

BTW, these videos were posted last week on Youtube.

Last edited:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
What about this one? The thieves returned the stolen car with a comical apology note. The quote below corrects the spelling errors that can be seen in the photo of the note in the article. It doesn't look genuine - they spelled señora with a c but took care to put the accent in perdón. An educated person trying to look uneducated, if you ask me.

Dos delincuentes que el pasado 1 de mayo asaltaron a una señora y le robaron la yipeta, devolvieron anoche el vehículo. Lo dejaron frente a la casa de la víctima con una nota pidiendo perdón.

La nota dice lo siguiente: “Excusa señora, estaba obsesionado por dar una vuelta. Lo siento, disculpa, lo siento, perdón, a sinceridad, bendiciones, Cristo le ama 100 X 100 de perdón. Perdone el incidente causado doñita, excusa”.
https://www.diariolibre.com/noticia...da-y-dejan-una-nota-pidiendo-perdon-JA6992964

Ducadista

Nov 7, 2011
Valeu Cara!
Out of all the posts I read in this thread, only 2 came up with incidents that has happened to them in SD. Regardless, I say that is pretty good stats IMHO.

My two cents.  

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
Community policing at its best!! Crowd participation is greatly encouraged. When a crime in the DR is talking place, the community helps in accosting the criminals and mete out justice.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
It seem that he was injured during the accident. At least I don't see a pool of blood to think he was shot. The thieves were also kicked and stomped by the police officers and some of the other people, so he could had been kicked hard enough to break a few bones and perhaps cause internal bleeding.

Also, I think this was out in Santo Domingo Este on avenida Charles de Gaulle. I wasn't recognizing the place because that's one part of SD I never go to, but a close friend 'confirmed' that it looks like that avenue.

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I think your mistaken ......I never saw the police kick or stomp on anybody ...they would not do that ...how could you even think that

Hector L

Jun 11, 2010
I don't like the negative comments about the Venezuelans.  Group shaming is never acceptable.  I have found most Venezuelans here to be honest, educated and trustworthy.  Sure there are bad app,es. That can be said for Dominicans, Americans, Haitians and Europeans.   Lighten up and enough of the group hate.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I have had a house in Zona Colonial for more than 20 years and have never had any personal problems . I walk to Ave Mella or to Plaza España or to Arzbisipo Noel at day and at night and keep my eyes and ears open . There is a problem with petty thieves taking mirrors and wheel tapas ,tapas de aro , from cars parked in the streets at night ...most people park their cars at night in the various car parks .

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I don't like the negative comments about the Venezuelans.  Group shaming is never acceptable.  I have found most Venezuelans here to be honest, educated and trustworthy.  Sure there are bad app,es. That can be said for Dominicans, Americans, Haitians and Europeans.   Lighten up and enough of the group hate.
The Venezuelan criminals are not helping with your wish.

This beautiful Venezuelan currently living in Santo Domingo is complaining about xenophobia she and her daughter have been subjected to. She resents that many people when they see a Venezuelan guy they think he will rob them or when they see a Venezuelan woman that she's a prostitute. Her daughter was even bullied at her school by another girl that told the rest of her class to not speak with her because she's Venezuelan and Venezuelans are bad people. That kid had to learn that somewhere and I'm sure it was not at her school.

I think her experience living in DR has been positive, but there's definitely an anti-Venezuelan sentiment that is brewing and all this criminal activity by Venezuelans is directly affecting that. I'm sure if this keeps up, many Venezuelans will go to great length at getting rid of their Venezuelan accent and adopt a Dominican accent, because most Venezuelans blend right into the Dominican population regardless of their color until they open their mouth.

[video=youtube;Jv1WUnOhFes]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jv1WUnOhFes[/video]

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Here is another Venezuelan couple.

They live in Punta Cana and, while the video isn't about xenophobia per se, the woman makes it very clear that many people humiliate them (she also says that even other Venezuelans that have done better economically in the DR than they have, have humiliated them too). With the facial expression she says that, I don't think she's talking about an isolated incident every once in a long while.

The other thing they complain about is that Punta Cana is expensive, expensive, expensive; but I think everyone know that.

[video=youtube;nec-dGFDmHc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nec-dGFDmHc[/video]

suarezj519

May 14, 2014
I don't know if this board is still going, but I wanted to add some of my experiences here in SD. I have always been in and out of the city many times traveling by guagua from cotui (by myself) and going around the city during the day alone. With the arrival of Uber, it is much easier for me to get around and I feel much safer knowing that my trip is tracked in case of any problems. I am now living here in a relatively alright area and I always and I mean always check my surroundings and don't stray too far from my house waiting for a ride or going to the local colmado across the street. I have a Dominican father and many Dominican friends and they always repeat the same thing that DR is getting more dangerous every time I plan a trip. . My Dad told me if I get robbed in the streets or in our house and unless I'm a high level black belt, it's best not to resist. Thieves who have nothing to lose here will kill you for as little as 50 pesos. It's just not worth it. Luckily I have not had any problems at all in this country from all of the years that I've been coming berenjena. my family however in SD and throughout the country have experienced crime firsthand and For any newbies, the best step to take is learn the language or find a Dominican friend that can translate for you while you learn. You also need to be vigilant in the streets as something like a motorcycle can come up on you in a split second and rob you. The key to a lot of stuff is making trustworthy friends here because even though your local colmado owner is a nice guy and hooks you up, they can be playing the long game in eventually them or getting someone to rob you. This also goes with any security guards at apartments, janitors. Ex. Elderly couple killed and robbed by apartment workers in Gascue. Also, an easy no brainer is even if you have bars on windows, Do not leave anything of value near it, they can reach through and grab whatever. I have seen many foreigners and even Dominicans make this mistake. Overall, I feel just as safe here as I do in my quiet hometown back in Michigan. Crime happens everywhere no matter what.

Last edited:

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
I don't know if this board is still going, but I wanted to add some of my experiences here in SD. I have always been in and out of the city many times traveling by guagua from cotui (by myself) and going around the city during the day alone. With the arrival of Uber, it is much easier for me to get around and I feel much safer knowing that my trip is tracked in case of any problems. I am now living here in a relatively alright area and I always and I mean always check my surroundings and don't stray too far from my house waiting for a ride or going to the local colmado across the street. I have a Dominican father and many Dominican friends and they always repeat the same thing that DR is getting more dangerous every time I plan a trip. . My Dad told me if I get robbed in the streets or in our house and unless I'm a high level black belt, it's best not to resist. Thieves who have nothing to lose here will kill you for as little as 50 pesos. It's just not worth it. Luckily I have not had any problems at all in this country from all of the years that I've been coming berenjena. my family however in SD and throughout the country have experienced crime firsthand and For any newbies, the best step to take is learn the language or find a Dominican friend that can translate for you while you learn. You also need to be vigilant in the streets as something like a motorcycle can come up on you in a split second and rob you. The key to a lot of stuff is making trustworthy friends here because even though your local colmado owner is a nice guy and hooks you up, they can be playing the long game in eventually them or getting someone to rob you. This also goes with any security guards at apartments, janitors. Ex. Elderly couple killed and robbed by apartment workers in Gascue. Also, an easy no brainer is even if you have bars on windows, Do not leave anything of value near it, they can reach through and grab whatever. I have seen many foreigners and even Dominicans make this mistake. Overall, I feel just as safe here as I do in my quiet hometown back in Michigan. Crime happens everywhere no matter what.

They use a stick to reach in and grab anything, shoes, cell phones, laptops etc.