Curry Lovers Take Note!!

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Gee AZB - according to you when I cook Italian

because I'm a Canadian in the Dominican Republic using American/Dominican/Spanish/Italian ingredients it AIN"T Italian!!!

Just don't tell my husband because he was born and raised in Italy and he THINKS it is!!

As Rob said "if the food is cooked by an Indian, using Indian ingredients, then I would say that's pretty authentic. "

All I can add is if you DON'T think it was authentic ya better get your buns down here for the next one to "TASTE" for yourself!!;)
You might be surprised!

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
I haven't eaten any Indian food in the DR, yet. I did have a house mate who was Indian - and he carried on like you did AZB - about the Americanization of "his" food.

Anyway, my first foray was the real deal and I really enjoyed it. Certainly stronger than any food I was used to, but wonderful. In fact, Indian food opened me up to trying many other foods, for which I'm thankful.

The truth is that I've eaten far more of the tamed down versions - that I could get on buffet in the Back Bay of Boston at lunch - but I'll bet an Indian Head nickel that I'll consume whatever you can muster up - with plenty of white rice please.

p.s. I eat burgers as often as you walk the walk.

p.s.s. AZB, were you not the one who talked about a place called "blue ginger" or "blue...something." It's somewhat near Cabarete? I think I drove by it on my way to Mocha on 21?

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Nope, i didn't mention it, someone else did. I still can't find the damn place.... blue something.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Road Trip

I'm pretty sure I saw a sign for it, and from the description from before, this MUST be it.

Leaving Cabarete going East, take 21 towards Mocha. Only about 10-20 minutes into the climb, the sign is on the left, can't miss it.

Just found the original post. Blue Moon

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Blue Moon does not really serve 'proper' Indian Cuisine any longer. It is more of a -- well, a hodge podge, but very nice food. The owner's wife, who is Indian, left. It is well worth a visit whether you're going for the food or not.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Gosh....I just realized that using AZB's logic

the costumes worn by the belly dancer (even tho' the costumes were made for Mara in India) were NOT authentic. Neither was the decor which Mara also brought from India (see the banners and light shades and tablecloths in the pictures). And the paintings on the walls can't be either 'cause they were painted by a French-Canadian!
The Pakistani fellow (Mohammed) isn't really a Pakistani after all because he now has his Dominican cedula so he isn't "authentic" either!!
Etc.Etc.Etc........

Gee and all this time I thought I was learning to make "real" Indian food using "real" Indian spices (and some of the dishes do have raisins in them - like the carrot salad I served!!). So I guess I really DON'T know how to make chapati because it was made with Canadian wheat ground in the DR and mixed with bottled water (Agua Crystal!!). :cry:

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
First of all, Pakistanis and indians don't do belly dance, its an arab thing; very un-indian.
The food which is prepared in indian restaurants (that caters to gringos in USA) are also cooked by indians / pakistanis with authentic spices BUT the food is prepared for gringos not for our people. When-ever we eat in those (so called) "authentic restaurants" we always come out laughing and disgusted. You folks don't have a clue but whom I am to argue, you had seen a pakistani chef, Belly dance and food that did resmebled indian. So there you have it, authentic indian food. I bet if mara had served real indian food, you all would be crying in the morning and wishing for the ice-cream to come out first. If you didn't feel the spices burn your anal sphincter ring in the morning, chances are you had eaten gringo / indian food. Indian restaurant owners know better not to serve real indian food to non-indian clients or they wouldn't last a month in business. Go to any local indian, pakistani restaurants in USA where they serve the real indian pakistani food to their own people, you wouldn't see a single foreigner insides. Foreigners just can't take the spices. The restaurants which are famous among the foreigners are typically geared towards suiting gringo taste-buds (creamy-sweet dishes).
This will be my last post on this topic. You all win, keep enjoying the authentric indian food. Look at it this way, if you really enjoyed the food then it really doesn't matter what I write....
Have a nice day.
(P.S. it reminds me of a gringo friend who came to santiago from the north coast and upon seeing white dominicans dancing the night away (in francifol cafe) he kept mentioning "these people don't look like dominicans...."). To him, all dominicans were black and poor. Now when gringos eat the authentic indian food, they always say the same thing "this is not the indian food I am used to eating in restaurants). Hahahaha.

TERRY

Feb 1, 2002
As per usual momm c you missed the point. AZB was not commenting on the ingredients or on the nationality of the cook.He was just trying to point out that in general Pakistani/Indian food prepared for "gringos" is a lot different from food prepared for Pakistani/Indians.
His comment on Mexican food is right on the money,having lived and worked in Mexico I no what he means.

Terry.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
AZB I think you should just invite them all over to your house and you show them how it's really done. Including the dance.LOL. I have eaten real Indian food at real Indian home here in Canada and now I know why they serve yogurt on the side. It's to put out the fire in your mouth. No one told me what to do about the next morning. lol

Amber

Jan 24, 2003
Ana, keep away from the Mexican if that is the case. The memory still bring tears to my eyes.. but God! It was good! :) Just not the next day...

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Yes, I put some toilet paper in the fridge the night before, luckily I didn't need it. Does that mean the food wasn't authentic? :)

Ok.... Enough of this. AZB made a very valid point.
"if you really enjoyed the food then it really doesn't matter"

Let's end this here, pleeeeze....!!!

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Hot food and chilled poop paper

Anna Coniglio said:
AZB I think you should just invite them all over to your house and you show them how it's really done. Including the dance.

PLEASE DO THIS!!

I'll bring a cooler of grandes and toilet paper.