De Lancer Internet - Terrible Service

ok123

Oct 11, 2009
Hey Eddy,

I agree with you that they had problems in the past, but for me, the NO CONTRACT option and the IP in the US is an option that i can't give up.

I used to wait for codetel to fix my phone line/internet for many days till they came, and delancer came after 2 hours.

I go to visit my family next month and i love that option that i can just suspend my service without a time limit.

And check this out, i can watch tv show online (NBC, etc...) because i have a US IP address...amazing no ?

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Hi OK123 and Eddy
Just got in after an hour of no connection.
I have tried their service call- Called 809 571 1033 and Elania. She speaks quite good English too and responded this is "Comcast"
It was fixed for a few hours but then back to the usual off for hours then a brief patch when there was access.

Still no reply from either De Lancer or Comcast to my open letter !

Keep telling your stories about De Lancer !

Olly

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
Hi OK123 and Eddy
Just got in after an hour of no connection.
I have tried their service call- Called 809 571 1033 and Elania. She speaks quite good English too and responded this is "Comcast"
It was fixed for a few hours but then back to the usual off for hours then a brief patch when there was access.

Still no reply from either De Lancer or Comcast to my open letter !

Keep telling your stories about De Lancer !

Olly

Sorry, but do you really expect an answer??? How long have u been here? Seems like the cable companies in Sosua and Cabarete (Cable de Norte) are the same crap. Agree with earlier poster about codetel as the best solutions. Have a friend that signed up for Orange and he is happy with speed etc, but then he was one of the first having the new service...

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Hey Eddy,

I agree with you that they had problems in the past, but for me, the NO CONTRACT option and the IP in the US is an option that i can't give up.

I used to wait for codetel to fix my phone line/internet for many days till they came, and delancer came after 2 hours.

I go to visit my family next month and i love that option that i can just suspend my service without a time limit.

And check this out, i can watch tv show online (NBC, etc...) because i have a US IP address...amazing no ?

When it works it's great. I tried it for a while and had the same problems that Olly has. I just gave up and remained with Codetel. I was using Comcast as a backup system but it never worked when I needed it. Codetel is the lesser of two evils.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Well Dr-Mpe
I have received a reply from Comcast and I publish it here :
E-mail from Comcast:

Hello,

I’ve read your post in DR1.
I would like to tell you that we have a call center for customer service (Spanish and English) Tel: 809-571-1033 / 829-470-1485 which you can call every day between 08:00 – 18:00.
When a customer calls us, we are checking his modem (while in call) and if he has a problem we immediately recognizing it and send a technician to his house.
We would like that our clients will inform us about their problems as soon as possible so we will be able to fix it instantly.

Unfortunately you didn’t call us, therefore we didn’t know that you had a problem.
Today I checked your modem and recognized a signal problem in your house.
Tomorrow the internet technician will come to fix the problem.

By the way, after the fire, the internet service was back in the same day with the same equipment and with the same quality. since then it had some improvements.

Regards,
Ilanit

lanit Kessel
Comcast
Tel: 1-809-571-1033
ilanit@comcast-sa.com

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
Well Dr-Mpe
I have received a reply from Comcast and I publish it here :
E-mail from Comcast:

Hello,

I?ve read your post in DR1.
I would like to tell you that we have a call center for customer service (Spanish and English) Tel: 809-571-1033 / 829-470-1485 which you can call every day between 08:00 ? 18:00.
When a customer calls us, we are checking his modem (while in call) and if he has a problem we immediately recognizing it and send a technician to his house.
We would like that our clients will inform us about their problems as soon as possible so we will be able to fix it instantly.

Unfortunately you didn?t call us, therefore we didn?t know that you had a problem.
Today I checked your modem and recognized a signal problem in your house.
Tomorrow the internet technician will come to fix the problem.

By the way, after the fire, the internet service was back in the same day with the same equipment and with the same quality. since then it had some improvements.

Regards,
Ilanit

lanit Kessel
Comcast
Tel: 1-809-571-1033
ilanit@comcast-sa.com

Wow, surprised. And I am sure u will have a perfect service very soon since... "Today I checked your modem and recognized a signal problem in your house.
Tomorrow the internet technician will come to fix the problem." LMAO

Keep us updated.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Just at the moment I have good service - with good connectivity. So I am not sure it is the cabling in my houseas No Technician has been yet but it is early.
And yes I will keep you informed.

Olly

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
This was my response to Ilanit today. currently the service is still good!

Dear Ilanit,
Firstly thank you for your response and the information about how to get repair service. I feel everybody on DR1 will make use of that information if they are on Delancer if they have problems.
As I sent you an open letter on DR1, I have posted your reply on DR1 and will continue to post any e-mail exchanges.

I had previously called about the problem I have been having some days before and Elania called me back( 11/03/2011 at 10:59 am) and managed to fix the problem remotely so I am not sure it is the cabling in my house. If it was an inhouse cabling problem she would not have been able to fix the problem remotely.

I await your technician and will make note of the repairs he carries out.

Thank you for responding and I think it is a good PR move on your part. I had in fact two names at Comcast – Idan and Ilanit with the e-mail address I posted on DR1. Thank you for replying.

It does highlight that many people are having problems over a wide area around Sosua based on the DR1 replies and posts,

Regards

Olly

Grin-go

Mar 13, 2011
Until a month ago I used to live between Cabarete and Sosua and we used to have cable broadband provided by Delancer. It seems that this must be a lucky area to live, because this was by far the best internet connection that I have used anywhere in the DR. I think we had the 3Mb package, and it was almost always reliable and reasonably fast. On the day of the fire we knew that something was wrong because that was probs the first day in several months that our service was not useable. Unfortunately I cannot comment on the recent service since I moved form there a few weeks back.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
This thread is over 6 years old now. I thought to ask how is the internet in Perla Marina? I heard they recently installed fibre optics for some buildings/casa's but not ALL. Did Claro ever show up after 6 years?

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua
They offer double speed now for same price, same service. Even after recent price drop they are still more expensive than Claro. Claro has only DSL lines - no hope for fast internet. BlueFish, Las Olas, Maquey and Sol de Plata Gardens have wireless Claro service.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
They offer double speed now for same price, same service. Even after recent price drop they are still more expensive than Claro. Claro has only DSL lines - no hope for fast internet. BlueFish, Las Olas, Maquey and Sol de Plata Gardens have wireless Claro service.

I was at the Bluefish 2 weeks ago and they recently had Delancer fibre optics installed.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
About 6 months ago. Same quality as before.

Are you referring to BlueFish? As far as working online using voip (like Skype) and download and upload files, would you say this is inadequate? Assuming you live there, have you done any internet speed tests?

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Something I find very strange about the Sosua/Cabarete area. When you try to ask questions about internet reception in a given area and what Company to use, you get very little feedback. You get replies from, "mine is good but I dont use it much so we are happy" to Cable Norte, Claro, Delancer is all crap even with the newly installed Delancer fibre optics? I was focused on Perla Marina but even on Facebook same style replies.Must be a realtor thing, they dont want to publicize the negatives.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Something I find very strange about the Sosua/Cabarete area. When you try to ask questions about internet reception in a given area and what Company to use, you get very little feedback. You get replies from, "mine is good but I dont use it much so we are happy" to Cable Norte, Claro, Delancer is all crap even with the newly installed Delancer fibre optics? I was focused on Perla Marina but even on Facebook same style replies.Must be a realtor thing, they dont want to publicize the negatives.

There really has not been anything good to say. With the recent introduction of CLARO fiber optic service in the region, which may be good. Time will tell. Do keep in mind that CLARO and good rarely go together in the same sentence.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I was really happy when I left Delancer and got Claro Fiber. Much cheaper and much faster. Reliability was great. The speed increase and drop in price more than offset the cost of my having to dig a trench and run conduit from the claro drop box to my house. Then I moved. Delancer and the other Cable companies pretty much have a captive customer base.

If you have cable tv with one company, you usually get internet from them as well so you don't have to run new wires. At the moment, Delancer is very overpriced and too slow even at their top speed offering. For a country of this size and capability, the minimum and cheapest internet speed available should be in the 20 mbps range and the most attractively priced plan should be in the 50 mbps range and go up from there as speed increases.

With Delancer, internet works most of the time but I swear at the cost and slow speed every day.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I am communicating with CLARO customer service as we speak to inquire about fiber optic service. The current experience brings back memories, not good ones. They must have a requirement to hire only people who are truly stupid.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
I am communicating with CLARO customer service as we speak to inquire about fiber optic service. The current experience brings back memories, not good ones. They must have a requirement to hire only people who are truly stupid.

Agreed! Has Claro installed fibre optics in Perla Marina?