De Lancer Internet - Terrible Service

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Obviously Delancer needs new equipment and a faster pipe to/from Comcast in the USA. Delancer has no reason to improve. Faster speeds at cheaper prices are not available to the majority of Delancer's customers at the moment. For the time being, Delancer can continue to make a financial killing offering internet speeds that are comparable to those offered by the dialup companies such as AOL back when modems negotiated connection handshakes at 14,400 bps.

If Claro, or some other provider could be bothered to upgrade entire areas at the same time rather than one group of dwellings here and another group 20 minutes down the road, Delancer would have to adapt and compete or go the way to the dodo, which wouldn't upset me at all. I've given the owners of that company enough money to live comfortably for the rest of their days.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Obviously Delancer needs new equipment and a faster pipe to/from Comcast in the USA. Delancer has no reason to improve. Faster speeds at cheaper prices are not available to the majority of Delancer's customers at the moment. For the time being, Delancer can continue to make a financial killing offering internet speeds that are comparable to those offered by the dialup companies such as AOL back when modems negotiated connection handshakes at 14,400 bps.

If Claro, or some other provider could be bothered to upgrade entire areas at the same time rather than one group of dwellings here and another group 20 minutes down the road, Delancer would have to adapt and compete or go the way to the dodo, which wouldn't upset me at all. I've given the owners of that company enough money to live comfortably for the rest of their days.
So those who are stating they are getting 20mb-50mb are embellishing? And the Delancer fibre optics still equals the speed of dial up? The who has the best internet coverage and packages in the Perla Marina areas has become the tightest lipped secret on the North Coast. There are so many different opinions, but hard to deceiver whats actually true.

Last edited:

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I don't have Delancer Fiber. Not available in my community. No idea when it might arrive.

I can't offer comment on the experience of those who have fiber service by Delancer. As with Claro, the areas with fiber offered by Delancer are few and far between when compared to the overall Delancer customer base.

My comments pertain entirely to the internet service offered over coax.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
As a point of reference: The current Delancer cost for 10mb down and 4mb up is around $RD 8000/month (fastest plan they offer to consumers as far as I know). When I first arrived here in Solsua, that same speed was $USD 250/month.

When I had Claro fiber I paid ~$RD 3700/month for 40mb down & 400 ld minutes to canda and the USA.

At home 60MB (Note the capital letters) is about $CDN 40/month.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I live in the north west mountains. There is no cable here at all, so no claro phone, no fixed line tv or internet. I have a 30 foot aerial on my roof and the man (?) says it comes from Miami. It costs me RD$800 a month and is fast - well plenty fast enough for me for streaming and for video skyping. There are Dominicans all over the country who are bypassing the normal systems - you just need to find them, they can always sort anything. I should say I have no Claro or Orange signal at all where I live lol.

Matilda

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
There really has not been anything good to say. With the recent introduction of CLARO fiber optic service in the region, which may be good. Time will tell. Do keep in mind that CLARO and good rarely go together in the same sentence.

May be good ? Claro Fiber Optic = 7 times the Delancer speed @ 1/2 the price. 23 months with them and 1 outage for about an hour.

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
I am communicating with CLARO customer service as we speak to inquire about fiber optic service. The current experience brings back memories, not good ones. They must have a requirement to hire only people who are truly stupid.

Call or go to Claro office in PP. Ask to speak to Oliver Dominguez ( I hope he is still there ). I have referred a number of people to him. He is extremely knowledgeable and couldn't have been more helpful ( as opposed to truly stupid ). Of course you need to have the service in your area - but that's not his problem. :knockedou

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
May be good ? Claro Fiber Optic = 7 times the Delancer speed @ 1/2 the price. 23 months with them and 1 outage for about an hour.

Every now and then, things happen in the DR that can be surprising. My previous experience with CLARO(CODETEL) was that they were populated by a team of imbeciles. I do find myself eagerly awaiting their fiber optic service, which may actually reach my area of Cabarete some day and I will certainly try it when it does. I am well aware of their much better pricing then my current supplier.

Thanks for the tip on who to speak to in POP. I wonder if he has a telephone number so I can just call him and not have to go there in person.

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua
Call or go to Claro office in PP. Ask to speak to Oliver Dominguez ( I hope he is still there ). I have referred a number of people to him. He is extremely knowledgeable and couldn't have been more helpful ( as opposed to truly stupid ). Of course you need to have the service in your area - but that's not his problem. :knockedou

Will he pull the roll of fiber-optic cable to my area? It is not in their coverage zone according to Claro web site. Why to bother with this info then?

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
Will he pull the roll of fiber-optic cable to my area? It is not in their coverage zone according to Claro web site. Why to bother with this info then?

I posted it because having fiber-optic in your area is one thing; getting a knowledgeable and helpful person to assist with installation and setup is quite another. And this guy was more than helpful and customer service oriented : there was a problem with the VOIP phone service that came with the package - he not only got it corrected - he gave us 3 months @ 1/2 price as compensation for the 2 week delay on the phone. Without even being asked for anything.

PS : I didn't even want the phone service

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
It's like a half miracle

Maybe Delancer reads DR1...

My community west of Sosua is getting fiber. The internet service died yesterday at 09:00 and shortly thereafter I received a call. Internet & cable TV will be down during the day for the next seven days as fiber optic lines are installed. I stopped at the office to get more info. On my way, I saw a big spool of fiber next to the road.

At this stage only the main data lines will be replaced, individual drops to each house will not. For the end user, the benefits of fiber come with a new modem that accepts a fiber connection. I was told this would not happen at this point in time. I guess they are saving that for later.

I don't understand the reasoning for not finishing the upgrade all at once and the Delancer people don't know either or won't say.

I am told, plan speed will be doubled at no extra charge. I sit here downloading last night's tv shows as quickly as I can, the internet for today could drop off anytime

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I don't know why people bash Delancer.  In my opinion they deliver a first rate service.

They were extremely quick in restoring cable after the hurricane and just yesterday in my neighborhood they were felling a large tree which unfortunately took out the cable as it fell.  One call to Delancer and they repaired it that same day.

Loving my 20 meg fiber service.

Those that complain about their service obviously know nothing of living in this country.