Deadly Crime in RD targeting EXPATS

May 5, 2007
SKY, not sure if you want to or already did, but did you post your entire ordeal on DR1 at any point?

Sounds quite "interesting" to say the least, in a perverted sort of way :(

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
This was 13 years ago, so I really don't remember what was posted. Others from Sosua posted also on this.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
If more robbers were shot by citizens less would be around and their delinquent friends might stop and think about actually getting a job

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Another post from 12/5/2010 posted by SKY about the incident...

I have dual citizenship. Some time ago I killed a robber at my house with a legal gun. I got bail because of my Dominican Citizenship. Without it there is an excellent chance I am in Jail until they investigate what happened. It was eventually ruled self defense, but not for six months.

As for the US helping in a legal situation, good luck with that one. My lawyer told me not to even talk to the US Embassy, as they give more grief than help.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I can agree with what others have posted.

After some 56 years here, I can say I have never felt "unsafe", but then I am a very quiet person, generally speaking. I do not party or go out to dance and carouse.

I do love Santiago and there are some great locations in town and on the periphery that provide safety, and peace and quiet.

If you are retired, you need to be close to health care: eye, teeth and body. All that is available in Santiago with good people.

I think rental is a goodthing at first, until you get a feel for things: Jarabacoa--mountains, golf, strawberries, swimmin in cold rivers, is just 40 minutes away. Beaches, quiet or noisy are 1.5 hours away until they finish the 4 lane highway. Even La Ensenada is only about 1:45 away, unless you stop often for beers (guilty).

Big getaway weekend? Go to Punta Cano, or go fishing with Mike, or go to Samana or La Romana..

If you need some help, just PM any of us here and we will help.

Cordially,

HB

orlando44

Jun 20, 2012
I can agree with what others have posted.

After some 56 years here, I can say I have never felt "unsafe", but then I am a very quiet person, generally speaking. I do not party or go out to dance and carouse.

I do love Santiago and there are some great locations in town and on the periphery that provide safety, and peace and quiet.

If you are retired, you need to be close to health care: eye, teeth and body. All that is available in Santiago with good people.

I think rental is a goodthing at first, until you get a feel for things: Jarabacoa--mountains, golf, strawberries, swimmin in cold rivers, is just 40 minutes away. Beaches, quiet or noisy are 1.5 hours away until they finish the 4 lane highway. Even La Ensenada is only about 1:45 away, unless you stop often for beers (guilty).

Big getaway weekend? Go to Punta Cano, or go fishing with Mike, or go to Samana or La Romana..

If you need some help, just PM any of us here and we will help.

Cordially,

HB

Awesome. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

orlando44

Jun 20, 2012
Awesome. Thank you

Ok HB thank you! It sounds so inviting. Can you please give me an idea or perhaps a website I can see how much the rents are more or less. My friend and I hope we can get a very nice place not too cramped that we can be comfortable and have our own spaces. May I respectfully request to have your number? I and maybe we may come next week and rent a place in Santiago to get a feel. I have been there once overnight and passed through en route to PP. I truly appreciate the verbal assistance. Saludos

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
I have not lived in country close to the time of Hillbilly but I concur on Santiago as a great place to live. I previously lived 6+ years in Santo Domingo and about 2 1/2 on the north coast and now about 3 years here in Santiago.
It has gotten even better since Abel Martinez has been in office. I live in a great middle class neighborhood where I know all my neighbors. I love being in walking distance to everything I need so I only drive when I choose to instead of out of necessity.

Best of luck to you!

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Looks like I lost track a bit of the thread when cheerleading for Santiago. In my 11+ years living in country I had one negative experience which could have ended very bad. I was in the wrong place at the wrong time in Puerto Plata. I know better and 99.9% exercise good judgement and common sense.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I have always been intrigued by the houses overlooking the valley as you come down the Sabaneta to Moca hill

Great views of STI and the whole valley while within striking distance of STI

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I have always been intrigued by the houses overlooking the valley as you come down the Sabaneta to Moca hill

Great views of STI and the whole valley while within striking distance of STI
You should visit the development around Camp David in Santiago.

If I have survived the last 5 years with all the places I have gone and at all times of day and night and all the weird situations I have been in and never really felt my life was in serious danger then “normal” people will be fine.  It is not as dangerous as some make it out to be Imo. 
Just have some common sense and keep an eye on your surroundings and wherever you buy be it in a gated community or not make sure you are in charge of your security. 
Puta’s and Drugs can get you in more trouble easier...

Punta Cana would be the last place I would ever live on this Island!!  Flat and polished, no thanks!

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
If I have survived the last 5 years with all the places I have gone and at all times of day and night and all the weird situations I have been in and never really felt my life was in serious danger then “normal” people will be fine.  It is not as dangerous as some make it out to be Imo. 
Just have some common sense and keep an eye on your surroundings and wherever you buy be it in a gated community or not make sure you are in charge of your security. 
Puta’s and Drugs can get you in more trouble easier...

Punta Cana would be the last place I would ever live on this Island!!  Flat and polished, no thanks!

Dry and flat and not the reason I want to live in a tropical island

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
This country like everywhere else fosters the potential for violent and deadly crime. Capers here are not normally ones that exhibit a whole lot of planning and sophistication. Usually just crimes of opportunity (robbery) that go wrong and someone dies. To be a focal point of criminal interest and targeted you need to stand out in the crowd, have lots of money or convertible items of value readily available to be grabbed.
n.

There is a notable exception. That of your Dominican wife or girlfriend that with her boyfriend decides that murdering the gringo is a good idea. They always get caught but the gringo usually dies.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
Any place is probably safer for an ex-pat than Sosua...

I don't think so... especially for residences. As they say, to escape an attacking bear, you just need to be faster than the guy next to you. With fresh meat showing up daily, you're probably know when to run.

Sep 4, 2012
I don't think so... especially for residences. As they say, to escape an attacking bear, you just need to be faster than the guy next to you. With fresh meat showing up daily, you're probably know when to run.

By the compariso, thanks God I have nothing to do in Sosua!

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
If you feel that way don't come down here. This place (Santiago) is just as safe
as any big city in the states. Its all about opportunity. Giive someone an opportunity
and you'll get taken. Fear is nothing more than a frame of mind. Enjoy!

True. It was the same murder rate as Miami but the size means that there is always something bloody in the news.

Personally, I'm not a fan of Santiago. It's dirty although they've made a lot of progress in the last year. It's sitting on an earthquake fault which is overdue, so if you plan to live 10-15 years you have a fair chance of getting caught up in a major event. And, I just don't feel safe there as I've been targeted and followed several times. I don't exactly blend in easily so factor that in.

Puerto Plata ? Sea and mountain?