Deadly Crime in RD targeting EXPATS

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Add lack of opportunities, globalization, pressure and thugness to it.

We are talking gun murders here....guns that cost a life's fortune.

Machete/knife/strangulation murders are those that are mainly from poverty. and that includes the femicides.

The opportune murders are wealth orientated and it is these that should concern expats most.........but I doubt anyone of the five Saturday was caused by this.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Nope, not the case any longer.

Yep some have advanced to guns through drugs.....saw it all in the campo for 7 years and one of the ex-esposa's family went to SFM prison as a result. We knew all the drugies and all the young lads with illegal guns in the barrio, but the choice for handing out justice was the machete and left the implicated with some serious cuts to remember.

I've seen guys running around our house with machetes chasing some poor soul.

Ex esposa happened to come home one evening as two known young drugies were raiding the banca opposite the house and she had insufficient time to get to her gun in the car and got robbed of her colmados takings.

Drugs is at epidemic proportions in many places in DR and guns are still at a premium to own.

Do you have such and experience to share living in the campo alongside poor Dominicans for 7 years?

Sep 4, 2012
Do you have such and experience to share living in the campo alongside poor Dominicans for 7 years?

The machete no doubt is the weapon of choice in the camp and for the very poor ones in the barrio, though strategy and times have changed thus drugs and drug monies have revolutionized everything in terms of crime.

Ive seen my shares of cuts and stitches as well as stabbings and cut off limbs in the campo. Have also had the pleasure to see bullets holes first hand in various cities.

Savages, animals is a lose term......

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
The machete no doubt is the weapon of choice in the camp and for the very poor ones in the barrio, though strategy and times have changed thus drugs and drug monies have revolutionized everything in terms of crime.

Ive seen my shares of cuts and stitches as well as stabbings and cut off limbs in thee campo. Have also had the pleasure to see bullets holes first hands in various cities.

Savages, animals is a lose term......

The point of posting the Listin Diario article was that there were 5 murders Saturday night in relatively small provincial towns........mindful that there are about 2000 homicides annually in DR and 15% are femicides and we also have to add suicides....that the city is perhaps a much safer place if you know where to be.

Rarely do we hear of homicides involving foreigners in Santo Domingo but we hear of them in the smaller towns and resorts and places reknowned for drugs such as La Romana.

Sep 4, 2012
Easier to become a target by being a big fish in a small pond. Agree and have seen it also. I've been and lived in SDQ for years and crime towards visitors weren't never as prominent as they are in the smaller towns.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Easier to become a target by being a big fish in a small pond. Agree and have seen it also. I've been and lived in SDQ for years and crime towards visitors weren't never as prominent as they are in the smaller towns.

We agree. (enjoy your game.....mine was great earlier....PL 2-2 'pool v spurs)

At least in SD we can go where we want, to go for what we want, knowing the areas that are safe and those that aren't. And being a conurbation of a third of the county's population we have plenty of safer choices to enjoy life and the campo all around

Sep 4, 2012
Yes sir indeed. As long as one stays away from the barrios and the peripherals outskirts of Santo Domingo, life is good. Chopos aren't necessarily a good thing either, hence, know how to pick friends and acquaintances.

BTW, having a blast with the game, go Patriots!

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
If I have survived the last 5 years with all the places I have gone and at all times of day and night and all the weird situations I have been in and never really felt my life was in serious danger then “normal” people will be fine.  It is not as dangerous as some make it out to be Imo. 
Just have some common sense and keep an eye on your surroundings and wherever you buy be it in a gated community or not make sure you are in charge of your security. 
Puta’s and Drugs can get you in more trouble easier...

Punta Cana would be the last place I would ever live on this Island!!  Flat and polished, no thanks!

some of us like the flat and polish

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
We agree. (enjoy your game.....mine was great earlier....PL 2-2 'pool v spurs)

At least in SD we can go where we want, to go for what we want, knowing the areas that are safe and those that aren't. And being a conurbation of a third of the county's population we have plenty of safer choices to enjoy life and the campo all around

I had a girl in SD who helped me with my 1st Temp Visa a few years back. She had her purse snatched (in a good area, broad daylight) and later her cell phone snatched from her hand in Agora Mall - which is highly policed. Happens everywhere - I feel safe enough in SD but their are some areas that are obvious no go for me.
But the traffic is insanity on a good day - I came to DR to avoid that

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
I had a girl in SD who helped me with my 1st Temp Visa a few years back. She had her purse snatched (in a good area, broad daylight) and later her cell phone snatched from her hand in Agora Mall - which is highly policed. Happens everywhere - I feel safe enough in SD but their are some areas that are obvious no go for me.
But the traffic is insanity on a good day - I came to DR to avoid that

Why is it that chico bill always comes up with or finds things that are so negative and then keeps that negative going?

Always has another "story".

Over 20 years here as a happy married couple and ... why have we not encountered anything CLOSE to chico bills' stories or others?

We have our home security systems and upgrade them............. just like we and our neighbors did back home. 20 years ago and they/we continue today.

We drive and go places just like we did back their with a little more awareness of what's going on around us. We walk around here just as we would in NEW YUCK CITY? Any city anywhere.

What is chico bills' point to continue to bring up every day stuff that happens every day in every city?

Life is good anywhere or not. That depends on the person.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Why is it that chico bill always comes up with or finds things that are so negative and then keeps that negative going?

Over 20 years here as a happy married couple and ... why have we not encountered anything CLOSE to chico bills' stories or others?

We have our home security systems and upgrade them............. just like we and our neighbors did back home. 20 years ago and they/we continue today.

We drive and go places just like we did back their with a little more awareness of what's going on around us. We walk around here just as we would in NEW YUCK CITY? Any city anywhere.

What is chico bills' point to continue to bring up every day stuff that happens every day in every city?

just reporting what happened to this young woman, didn't witness it, just relaying what she told me.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I have NO comment and rest my case.

Apparently you did have a comment !
I guess by your reasoning I should not be able to relay information told to me directly or post any story of a crime on a thread about Crime. Enjoy your smugness.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017

Are you not the member of this forum who has stated that you have unifomed Polica Nacional residing on your personal property? Just like beauty, safety is in the eyes of the beholder.