Decent health insurance costs?

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
i have blue cross blue shield. yes its from the usa

You can get better coverage here in the DR from Universal, Humano, etc for less than half what you are paying...you will have access to the best doctors and the best hospitals, 100% major medical coverage, dental, and vision, etc...but only covered in the DR.

jojo2130

May 30, 2005
Wow ! I only Pay $RD4600 TOTAL / Month for a Family of 4 (Wife me and 2 Kids) Excellent coverage. Private room !

With Monumental.

mbgmike

Jan 17, 2012
You can get better coverage here in the DR from Universal, Humano, etc for less than half what you are paying...you will have access to the best doctors and the best hospitals, 100% major medical coverage, dental, and vision, etc...but only covered in the DR.
I have many members of my family are cardios,surgeons, in Puerto Plata.All my dental is free from my daughter.She is a dental surgeon in Pto pta as well.She is still on my policy but not for long. I will check into these two also .

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
i have blue cross blue shield. yes its from the usa

You might be better off with a local plan that would also cover you if you are in the US.
Or get a local plan and a separate international insurance plan. The amount you are currently paying is much too high if you are actually living in the DR, or spend at least 6 months of the year in the DR.

mbgmike

Jan 17, 2012
You might be better off with a local plan that would also cover you if you are in the US.
Or get a local plan and a separate international insurance plan. The amount you are currently paying is much too high if you are actually living in the DR, or spend at least 6 months of the year in the DR.
damn i need to do some serious checking. I live in puerto plata but work in usa all over.
My family is all here in RD except for one son. i thought mine was high.

Feb 7, 2007
Rubio probably has more current info, but as far as I know this insurance covers your spouse and children. If you are in DR, I would suggest visiting any insurance company (ARS in this case) and get accurate details from them, or going online and browsing their websites.

Too good to be true?. Well, there are limitations, of course. I guess coverage is not as high, they don't cover injuries for car accidents (that's supposed to be covered by car insurance),

Well I found out that ARS Renacer offers coverage for traffic accidents within its Plan Basico de Salud, ARS Renacer : Primero T?. see point "N" I don't know if it is unique to ARS Renacer all whether all Plan Basico de Salud from any insurance company covers it.

an they almost never cover 100% of doctor's fees, more like 75-80% depending on the cost of the doctor or procedure.

Yes, Plan Basico covers like 70 or 80%, but the supplemental insurance I talked about covers up to 90% of the "difference", basically putting your coverage to something like 97 or 98% of the total.

You can see the basic plan and coverage here
Bienvenidos a Ars Constitucion

and then you have some complementary coverage here (couple of hundred pesos per person per month)
These complementary plans differ by company, I found the best ones at ARS Constitucion, for just 100 or 200 pesos per month per person additional.
Planes Extras Complementarios - ARS La Colonial

I can tell you I've used it many times, emergency rooms are covered 100%, i've had surgeries, all kind of procedures, no problems whatsoever.My wife was also covered (not that she stopped being covered, she just stopped being my wife)

I think this kind of insurance is called Seguro Basico de Salud and if I'm not mistaken, I think you don't have to be employed to get the insurance. It's the other way around: if you are employed you must have it, whether you use/need it or not.
Yes you must be employed to get it, you can be employed by your own company, of course. Or if you do not want to "drag" yourself to be employed, employ your spouse and you are automatically covered.

Yes all employers should contribute to TSS and that way you automatically get Plan Basico de Salud insurance. Many informal businesses, however, do not contribute. Many do not even know exactly how TSS works and they pay private insurance plans (much more expensive) for its employees.

I also forgot to mentioned in my post above, more advantages of Plan Basico de Salud:
- Your copay is limited to 15.000 pesos per case
- You get 70% prescription coverage (3.000 pesos per year)
- 1 million pesos per year catastrophic illness coverage (most private plans have this topped at 200-250k pesos)

Feb 7, 2007
How complicated is it to incorporate. I will have a cedula in a couple of months together with temporary residency and am very interested in obtaining insurance here. I am over 65 so it hasn't been easy to find.

It's quite easy for EIRL, if you do it yourself your total cost would be around 10.000 pesos including travel expenses to Santo Domingo to ONAPI. A lawyer would do that for about 20-25k pesos.

pmey27

Oct 12, 2006
Well I found out that ARS Renacer offers coverage for traffic accidents within its Plan Basico de Salud, ARS Renacer : Primero T?. see point "N" I don't know if it is unique to ARS Renacer all whether all Plan Basico de Salud from any insurance company covers it.

Yes, Plan Basico covers like 70 or 80%, but the supplemental insurance I talked about covers up to 90% of the "difference", basically putting your coverage to something like 97 or 98% of the total.

You can see the basic plan and coverage here
Bienvenidos a Ars Constitucion

and then you have some complementary coverage here (couple of hundred pesos per person per month)
These complementary plans differ by company, I found the best ones at ARS Constitucion, for just 100 or 200 pesos per month per person additional.
Planes Extras Complementarios - ARS La Colonial

Yes you must be employed to get it, you can be employed by your own company, of course. Or if you do not want to "drag" yourself to be employed, employ your spouse and you are automatically covered.

Yes all employers should contribute to TSS and that way you automatically get Plan Basico de Salud insurance. Many informal businesses, however, do not contribute. Many do not even know exactly how TSS works and they pay private insurance plans (much more expensive) for its employees.

I also forgot to mentioned in my post above, more advantages of Plan Basico de Salud:
- Your copay is limited to 15.000 pesos per case
- You get 70% prescription coverage (3.000 pesos per year)
- 1 million pesos per year catastrophic illness coverage (most private plans have this topped at 200-250k pesos)

Thanks for all the responses....!!

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
"For those who do not know how TSS works, you still can elect your preferred insurance company (Humano, Palic, Constitucion, whichever) and you contribute to TSS pool, TSS then gives its share of money to each insurance company based on the number of insured people."

Not quite sure if I understood that 100%. Basically when going to TSS, at their office I can tell them I want to be with ARS X and they send me there "for further processing" or how does that work? Do I go first to them or to the ARS of my choice?

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Rubio probably has more current info, but as far as I know this insurance covers your spouse and children. If you are in DR, I would suggest visiting any insurance company (ARS in this case) and get accurate details from them, or going online and browsing their websites. They all offer this kind of insurance, by law they have to. The biggest ARS are

- ARS Humano
- PALIC
- ARS Universal
- Seguros Banreservas.

Too good to be true?. Well, there are limitations, of course. I guess coverage is not as high, they don't cover injuries for car accidents (that's supposed to be covered by car insurance), an they almost never cover 100% of doctor's fees, more like 75-80% depending on the cost of the doctor or procedure.
I can tell you I've used it many times, emergency rooms are covered 100%, i've had surgeries, all kind of procedures, no problems whatsoever.My wife was also covered (not that she stopped being covered, she just stopped being my wife)

I think this kind of insurance is called Seguro Basico de Salud and if I'm not mistaken, I think you don't have to be employed to get the insurance. It's the other way around: if you are employed you must have it, whether you use/need it or not.

Sounds like ObamaCare to me...

I'm going to look into this as well...Guess I never even thought about the government option.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
It can be purchased. Only it's going to be more expensive and it's going to cover less. You cannot buy premium coverage, just basic. I have my mother (70) in PALIC, and I pay about 2,000 DOP a month. It covers emergencies, doctor's office visits (most of it, anyways), and light dental care.

My agent.. Alvarrez Serra... called all the insurance companies five years ago to ask about coverage until death. He found that the only policy that guarantees coverage after 70 is Universal. The others will renew until 70 and then maybe. you had to buy the policy before you are 65

info is five years old

Makinater

May 4, 2013
I have Servicio Dominicano de Salud, "SDS"
Have had it for over 15 years. My family is 3 adults, three kids. Costs 15,000 pesos every 3 months.
Have used it Many, many times!
It always pays everything, except for the private room.
mgMike, you must have some international ins. provider. The amount you are paying is ASTRONOMICAL!!!!I can not comprehend that amount!
To me it seems unnecessary.
Shop Around!
Or are you talking about health Ins. in the USA???
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Great to know, Criss. Lo arreglo as soon as I've adapted to the jet-lag and had a party at el colmadon de nuestra zona. And since I'm always awake at night over here, my wife figured that I am already adapted to D.R. time, haha!

No, pero en serio - SDS exigen residencia ? nacionalidad, right? Could take us a couple of months to sort my Nacionalidad por Opci?n de Padres Dominicanos and residencia para mi esposa. Any suggestions to what we - two adults in their 30s and a one year old kid - could use in the meantime?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Renewal for three people with Plan Royal at Humano is $RD 34,878 for a year ($851 US).

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
It's quite easy for EIRL, if you do it yourself your total cost would be around 10.000 pesos including travel expenses to Santo Domingo to ONAPI. A lawyer would do that for about 20-25k pesos.
So would you recommend talking to an insurance agent to figure out which/what is best for your situation?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I STRONGLY recommend you go to the insurance company of your choice home office.
There are too many stories of the independent agent not paying the company.
Then when you get to "La Clinica" you have zero coverage!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
I have no residencia, and am an "Illegal Alien" most of the time.
My claims are always paid.

JayinRD

Apr 18, 2013
I have Palic. I walked into their office one day with my Dominican girlfriend and walked out with a joint policy costing $200 per quarter (charged automatically to my credit card). Seems cheap and easy. I have no idea what it covers re hospitals and emergencies but it saved me alot on dental care. Went to a derm 2 weeks after starting the insurance and it would not cover a simple derm procedure...because no preexisting medical conditions covered.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Just saw it, now I don't find it again.

What ARS does NOT cover traffic accidents? Via TSS or voluntarily or at all?

davetuna

Bronze
Jun 19, 2012
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
I have been looking for health insurance here also, I was concerned about traffic accident cover. I went to three different places that all told me that I wouldnt be covered for traffic accidents with health insurance, and that traffic accidents are covered by the 'other' chap's car insurance.

However, I went to see another lady who sells 'Humano' and she said that of course I would be covered for traffic accidents as it would be an emergency, and that the clinic have to treat you. She even telephoned CMC clinic here in sosua to ask them, and they confirmed that I would be covered with the 'Humano Royal' plan, which comes in at 15,000 pesos a year. (For me)

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Good to know!

I guessed that with the "other guys insurance", but asked myself what if he doesn't have one or more realistically (considered where we are) does "la huida" lol