DGM Migration deports undocumented aliens from 13 countries

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
I went to Florida last week and upon leaving from SDQ I went directly to the desk to pay my late fees. While flirting with the girl at the desk I told her how I didn't want to leave (even for 5 days) she didn't tell me how I am a law breaker for overstaying by 5 months but instead told me "don't go". I paid my 4000RD (a cheap date) and left.
Upon return 5 days later no one asked about all my overstays for the last 10 years.
IF/WHEN it ever becomes a problem I will get my residency but until then no likely.
By the way I own land here, a truck, have a DR bank account, rent an apartment with light and internet, have hired numerous employees (paying benefits and employee taxes).
For those of you with residency, good for you and for those that don't have it ........I wouldn't panic.
My 2 cents.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
I went to Florida last week and upon leaving from SDQ I went directly to the desk to pay my late fees. While flirting with the girl at the desk I told her how I didn't want to leave (even for 5 days) she didn't tell me how I am a law breaker for overstaying by 5 months but instead told me "don't go". I paid my 4000RD (a cheap date) and left.
Upon return 5 days later no one asked about all my overstays for the last 10 years.
IF/WHEN it ever becomes a problem I will get my residency but until then no likely.
By the way I own land here, a truck, have a DR bank account, rent an apartment with light and internet, have hired numerous employees (paying benefits and employee taxes).
For those of you with residency, good for you and for those that don't have it ........I wouldn't panic.
My 2 cents.
Amen.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
My 2 cents.
my good friend in Luperon who passed away two years ago sailed in here 20 years ago, married a DR lady, ran a business here and owned multiple properties. Never paid overstay fees, never had a cedula and never applied for residency. Probably wouldn't get away with it today. He joked about that before he passed away. 

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
My 2 cents.
You may be right, and nothing will come of it.

But what if you're wrong? With your properties and assets in the DR, you're OK with the risk?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
It's all about the risk.

Where's our Bronx Boy?

Those were the days my friend, 
We thought they'd never end 

To music......

Gerhard the expat may slide..... may not..... his problem.

We all operate at own comfort level.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
You may be right, and nothing will come of it.

But what if you're wrong? With your properties and assets in the DR, you're OK with the risk?

I don't have risk with my property. You can buy property as a foreigner here and the transaction was done legally all above board.
If they change the rules and actually start to deport law abiding foreigners (we can debate if overstaying is breaking the law or not) I'll comply with whatever I need to do to return or go elsewhere.

robbiee

Bronze
Dec 27, 2014
www.dominicanfun.net
F...r from country near Belgium ?
my good friend in Luperon who passed away two years ago sailed in here 20 years ago, married a DR lady, ran a business here and owned multiple properties. Never paid overstay fees, never had a cedula and never applied for residency. Probably wouldn't get away with it today. He joked about that before he passed away. 

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Gerhard,

The question here before the tribunal deals with 'undocumented aliens'.....
Law abidingI] seems to be a non sequitor for that category 

As I see it

But there are numerous threads on the subject

I may read one as I whistle through the graveyard 

ExDR

Jul 31, 2014
I agree that those who want to live in the DR need to follow the process to obtain residency. If you want to live in the DR then you need to adhere to the laws that are in place. However there needs to be an established process for true snowbirds. A simple process that can be done upon arrival. Clearly paying the "overstay fine" is no issue for the snowbirds so instead of losing them it would make much more sense to accommodate them with some type of "snowbird visa" Payment on arrival and then a stamp in their passport showing the time allowed, 3 mos. 6 mos.... I do believe in the future there will be a process problem is when...

However, as the story about the murdered lawyer shows, they follow the laws that can benefit them. Why not have a simple long term visitor visa program that cost X amount of money for the stay and leave the visitors alone. They are not taking jobs away from locals and are not there looking for better financial situation. Use the police resources where they are needed.

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
You maybe correct that they follow the laws that may benefit them and that's the issue right there. You never know when that which does not benefit them today will change to one that benefits them tomorrow. Buyer beware or proceed at your own risk. As for me, I am not taking any chances.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Looks like they are posting monthly records now. April report:

https://www.migracion.gob.do/Public/detail?detailid=40&menuid=44

4787 from 12 countries including European countries for being in an irregular situation.

- The General Directorate of Migration (DGM) reported that in April, 4,787 citizens of 12 countries were repatriated in immigration interdiction operations carried out by the institution, mostly foreigners who were in an irregular situation in the country.

--------

Were any reported simply for overstaying a tourist card? 

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
- The General Directorate of Migration (DGM) reported that in April, 4,787 citizens of 12 countries were repatriated in immigration interdiction operations carried out by the institution, mostly foreigners who were in an irregular situation in the country.

--------

Were any reported simply for overstaying a tourist card? 

It could easily be tracked by immigration. Those who have been in the DR for years without applying for residency could be at risk if they chose to leave the country and want to return at a later date. The DR Gov could block those who have refused to legalize themselves.

chrisdr

Oct 7, 2012
They had a round up in the Colonial Zone yesterday... Yellow school bus with about 30 Haitians on. 

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Only Haitians?  The "world" is not going to like that. Where is the fairness and equality? 
When you think you've seen it all, there's always something new around the corner.

Case in point:

Four days ago Diario Libre reported that Leonel is now talking about DR losing its national identity if Haitian inflow continue as it has been.

https://www.diariolibre.com/mundo/e...de-haiti-porque-se-hundiria-tambien-MJ6975259

Lets pretend for a moment that Leonel doesn't share the main responsibility in the Haitian immigration madness. Relaxing border controls, not applying the migration law for years, not applying the labor law that dictates that no less than 80% of employees in any company has to be Dominican and foreigners can't be more than 20%; and ignoring the problem when he was president. :tired:

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
It could easily be tracked by immigration. Those who have been in the DR for years without applying for residency could be at risk if they chose to leave the country and want to return at a later date. The DR Gov could block those who have refused to legalize themselves.

How many "years" is years? A friend of mine went to the states in Sept. First trip out of the country in 4+ years. He left, paid the late fee and returned, problem free, 3 weeks later.