Dichos, refranes y expresiones

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Tapando el sol con un dedo - You can't see the wood for the trees?

In my experience, this expression is used a lot in the DR and quite a bit in Caribbean Spanish.

Journalists like to use the expression to get their point across especially in Listín Diario.

In my experience, it means a person can't see the bigger picture with regards to an issue.

What is more common in English on this side of the pond when the expression is used is: You can't see the forest for the trees.

-MP.

Last edited:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
"You can't see the wood for the trees" is standard in British English. There's a similar US/GB divide with other expressions like "beating a dead horse" vs. "flogging a dead horse".

Another one:

"El último Coca Cola en el desierto" is like "the best thing since sliced bread" or "God's gift".

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
"You can't see the wood for the trees" is standard in British English. There's a similar US/GB divide with other expressions like "beating a dead horse" vs. "flogging a dead horse".

Another one:

"El último Coca Cola en el desierto" is like "the best thing since sliced bread" or "God's gift".

Yes, with regards to the US/GB variations I am right in the middle. In writing I have a mix of traditional spelling some more North American versions but not completely non standard like nite. I prefer the North American version of English speaking and writing.

For God’s gift how about simply un regalo de Dios? I hear that used often.

-MP.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The last Coca Cola expression is like God's gift in the negative sense "He thinks he's God's gift to women."

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
The last Coca Cola expression is like God's gift in the negative sense "He thinks he's God's gift to women."

You see it’s all about context. I have never heard that expression in Spanish until now.

No es un decir muy común en mi mundo.

-MP.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Yes, how can we forget Si Dios quiere. I think it is one of the most common sayings in Spanish and one that you hear from a young age. It is one that is used from generation to generation.

Tus abuelos, tu papás sobre todo te lo dicen.

¿Qué opinas tú?.... En la RD y en el Caribe es muy común oír el dicho Si Dios quiere y no significa que la person sea creyente simplemente es una manera de decir hasta cierto punto no tengo control sobre lo que va a pasar (más o menos).

Por ej, si preguntas a tu mamá si va a visitarte la semana que viene (vives lejos) y te contesta- Sí, mi hija si Dios quiere. En mi opinión, esa respuesta es muy cultural.

-MP.

Exactamente. No significa que la persona sea religiosa para decir si Dios quiere.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Exactamente. No significa que la persona sea religiosa para decir si Dios quiere.

Exacto, también el uso de ojalá....es diferente.

One more for the thread that is common in both languages is:

Llamar al pan pan y al vino vino. Especially in certain situations there is no point andando con rodeos .

-MP.

Last edited:

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Another favourite of mine but I don’t use it often (hardly ever). I love the subtleness of it:

Zapatero a tus zapatos. If used correctly you really don’t need to say much after that.

-MP.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Physician, heal thyself?

Is that what you feel when you read that phrase?

I will explain in Spanish since it is a Spanish saying:

En pocas palabras, significa no critiques el trabajo de otra persona sobre todo si no tienes conocimiento del oficio. Hay muchas personas que critican pero no tienen conocimiento.

Ocúpate de lo tuyo por lo tanto, Zapatero a tus zapatos.

-MP.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Is that what you feel when you read that phrase?

I will explain in Spanish since it is a Spanish saying:

En pocas palabras, significa no critiques el trabajo de otra persona sobre todo si no tienes conocimiento del oficio. Hay muchas personas que critican pero no tienen conocimiento.

Ocúpate de lo tuyo por lo tanto, Zapatero a tus zapatos.

-MP.

I'd never heard it before so I was guessing. Based on your explanation I realise it's not the same as "physician, heal thyself" - it's more like "stick to what you know."

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
I'd never heard it before so I was guessing. Based on your explanation I realise it's not the same as "physician, heal thyself" - it's more like "stick to what you know."

That’s correct and the last line ocúpate de lo tuyo is even more blunt which means basically, mind your own business .

-MP.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
something i read in hoy today: atrapan 47 personas con “las manos en la masa” durante operativo mixto.
"caught with the hand in the cookie jar" sounds like a very fitting equivalent. :)

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
Another one:

At the risk of receiving a warning, I'd like to add an oldie but goodie, similar to la útima Coca Cola en el desierto:

Él cree que m_a (urinates) Pepsi Cola y ca_a (defecates) bizcochito.

The American equivalent would refer to his feces not emanating a foul odor.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
something i read in hoy today: atrapan 47 personas con “las manos en la masa” durante operativo mixto.
"caught with the hand in the cookie jar" sounds like a very fitting equivalent. :)

Is that your first time hearing that expression?

It is very common in the Spanish-speaking world and in English too.

There are a few variations though.

For example,

Agarrar, pillar and even coger* a alguien con las manos en la masa.

I prefer and always say agarrar a alguien con las manos en la masa.

It is the English equivalent of to get caught red-handed.

-MP.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
La carne no esta en el garabato por falta de gato!

Who can tell about this?

JJ

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
La carne no esta en el garabato por falta de gato!

Who can tell about this?

JJ

Don't know what it means, and I haven't used the word garabato in a long, long time.

By the way, Garabato Sackey was a legendary Dominican baseball/softball player.