Digital ‘nomads’ seek paradise in beachfront Dominican town, hurt local economy

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
When Carolina Sims’ parents arrived on a boat chartered by British-American slaveholder Zephaniah Kingsley – likely in the late 1830s – the area was still a part of Haiti

Olivo is focused on day-to-day survival, while privileged foreigners are causing long-term changes to Cabarete. “Everywhere, se vende, se vende, se vende (for sale),” says Taïf van der Haar, a Dutch ex-recruiting manager who, after vacationing in the Dominican Republic, bought land with his wife to open the boutique hotel Kibayo. Speaking little Spanish, they asked themselves, “What does that mean, se vende?”

How much I would like to, I can’t take this scribent au sérieux.
Trendy, starting about slavery and then a dutch professional who doesnt understand “se vende”.

Reactions: chicagoan14

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I have lived in Cabarete for 13 years and overall, I can't see much actual "fiction" in this over-long article, except that I believe that most locals are grateful to have foreigners bolstering the economy. Cabarete hardly existed before the foreigners came and many Dominicans have come to live here just because of the foreign presence. The main difference that I can see in recent years is that the foreign population has changed from being big-spending short-term tourists to expats who live here, snow-birds and yes, people like "digital nomads". However, they all contribute to the local economy.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Headline: Digital ‘nomads’ seek paradise in beachfront Dominican town, hurt local economy.

I call bullshite.

Either written with an agenda or out of ignorance, it is extremely misleading due to lack of context.

Like… what does the writer think would be here if not for foreigners? It would be like Río San Juan and the rest of the north coast. Empty with nothing for people to earn from.

Hurts the economy? People have work and income from hotels and taxis to the merchants, farmers, police, gas station attendants, delivery drivers, restaurant workers, construction workers, tour providers and the myriad of others necessary to support the evil foreigners.

People were interviewed that moved here from other cities and not happy with money they make here… no questioning of why the left to come here… when the answer is it offered them more than staying in their city of birth.

Don’t pay taxes? What about the 18% on everything they purchase?

Bottom line, the only places with any significant economy for locals from Monte Cristi to Samana is where foreigners have invested or settled, with the exception of Nagua which seems to do ok from agriculture.

“Hurt local economy” my arse.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
written with an agenda
. BINGO, to me, as I commented, I agree. It’s easy to comment about the situation behind your American desk, as the writer does.
He or she must be somewhat frustrated.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
After reading the title of the article, not worth my time.
Take the foreigner's out of the north coast and see what you end up with.

Reactions: CFA123

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
After reading the title of the article, not worth my time.
Take the foreigner's out of the north coast and see what you end up with.
Ghost towns :unsure:

Attachments

• Screenshot (67).png
    Screenshot (67).png
    321.4 KB · Views: 128
Reactions: David B

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Who in their right mind is going to ride a motoconcho from Cabarete to Puerto Plata?

“On a good day, when God grants you luck, you come across a tourist who says, ‘Ah, come, I’ll give you 1,000 pesos to take me to Puerto Plata,” says motorcycle taxi driver Omar Manuel Olivo. (The fare equals about $18.) Like with any miracle, he asserts, “Things like that don’t show up every day.”

Big

Apr 24, 2019
"Digital nomad" which translates to unemployed loser with a ponytail that does not mind living off 800 dollars a month and sleeping in a room with no air-conditioning and sleeping on a used stained mattress.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
I do not think digital nomad is considered an "unemployed loser". I personally know of several individuals who have the luxury to work from wherever. Actually, some even work for my families business. Because of their type of work (medical billing, case management, etc) the only requirements are reliable internet/Wi-Fi and using company VPN. They actually make good money. I should add that two individuals are actually working from the DR.

Last edited:

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
"Digital nomad" which translates to unemployed loser with a ponytail that does not mind living off 800 dollars a month and sleeping in a room with no air-conditioning and sleeping on a used stained mattress.
I know several who make good money and don't have ponytails (whatever is wrong with them). I know one guy who spends his time doing computer work and makes enough to live in a large house in a gated community. He doesn't have a ponytail either. I'm afraid I can't report on the state of his mattress.

Reactions: Billp16 and PCMike

drisforme

May 28, 2016
I would consider a "digital nomad" somebody who does his/her job remotely. If the person does not have a job ,likely it`s a different category :)

I consider myself and my wife as "digital nomad" . We are lucky enough to be able to work from Cabarete for US firms with a US pay check.
We do not take our situation granted but also our situation is not unique based on our friends. My profile does not go to an internet caffe or a beach terrace to work.We work at home (Cabarete) normal US hours and then enjoy what Cabarete has to offer .For myself, kiting if wind allows !

Related to the article which is all over the place ,I consider myself ;contributing positively to the evolution of the country/Cabarete by creating jobs.

I bought a lot
I build a house
I have a full time maid
I have a part time gardener
I have a part time pool person.
I go to the restaurants 5 times a week.

Playero and Super Pola love me when I go there :)

A journalist should actually write an article how to facilitate my profile to come to DR/Cabarete vs pushing back as this article seems to aim to.
Based on my experience, I would have plenty of ideas

Peace.