DNA: Genographic Sets Sail to the Dominican Republic

Gurabo444

Nov 1, 2009
I wonder what all of those friendly white folks in Gurabo think of this :cheeky:

It just confirms what we've always known, the rest of the country is way darker/more African than us :p. Kidding aside, I love these sorts of test. I hope they can also release the haplogroups.

P.S If Gurabo had been picked for saliva samples, the results may have looked a bit different, but that would have not been objective. I know of quite a few Guraberos (me included) who have taken the 23andme test and on average for Guraberos the results are 80-90% European with the rest being a split between Taino and African.

Dominicanese

Sep 1, 2015
Another thing that is simply crazy is how can it be possible for the 'average people of' Bani to be on average more than half afro while Azua is about a quarter afro? Azua isn't quite known for being considerably light skin, while Bani is probably the whitest town of any significant size in the entire southern region.

How is that possible? Just how?

Did they actually went to Bani and Azua? Really?

bani used to be the whitest, not anymore

more roads now endays and dominicans from other parts are there too especially from san cristobal and santo domingo of the lower class spector, this part i can understand do for that reason

but yes ur right, however it was back in the day , i went to bani recently and i saw more blacks and dark skinned ppl vastly out number whites, but my grandmother who is from bani told me it was the opposite

Dominicanese

Sep 1, 2015
I bring this map from another forum.

Each black dot represent the 25 places where the National Geographic team collected 1,000 DNA samples (40 per place of people that claimed to be Dominican of two Dominican parents and four Dominican grandparents, and that had been living in the place for at least 10 years).

Mapa_RD.jpg

Larger size: https://s25.postimg.org/xm7ctathb/Mapa_RD.jpg

For the sake of making sense of it all, lets assume that the Vega Real of the Cibao Valley (the second most densely populated part of the country) was facing some disease epidemic when they were collecting their samples, because otherwise it makes no sense!

They did it right in the southern parts of the country. I wonder what happened when it was time to get a representative sample of the northern population.

In the article they also claim that this is the largest DNA test ever done in the DR, when in reality the largest was done by Dr �lvarez Perell� in the 1950's. He had over 9,000 blood samples, not the 500-something they claim in the Diario Libre article. He says it in the article he published roughly half a century ago:

Perello.jpg

Larger size: https://s32.postimg.org/7ms163tx1/Perello.jpg

whoa 9,000 "el diablo" crazy too cause it was back in the 50s when technology is scarce but it was taken by a Dominican who knew his spots

however i will add to the fact that why is DR always the main concentration point when it comes to DNA studies and or racial demographics? Why in every single forum including youtube we as dominicans and others have to debate this issue. Reason for my question is that im a well traveled man and i can tell you for a fact, lets take a look at cuba where the population distribution is varies a lot by region much more than the DR. The east is much blacker than the west (obviously) but they do not talk about the heavy concentration of haitian, jamaican, and bahamian descendants in cuba which contributes god knows how much of their black population. Also take note that cubans are not really cubans until only a few generations in their majority, because many cubans have very recent ancestry from spain and the canary islands, i can also talk and debate/argue about the Puerto Rican population in how more than half of their blacks are Dominicans or Dominican descendants and another quater being of Haitian and Virgin Islander descent. PR's white population though much more mixed than cuba's white population is also pretty recent from the canarians who came in the late 1800s that DR's lacks which we can all say that the white pop in the cibao valley is pretty ancient and colonial but not pure anymore.

All of the lesser antilles black pop are not purely or limited to their own islands niether prior to leaving Africa, all of those islands have recent black migrants from each other and mixed very well. Same with venezuela. panama, colombia, all of central america. So DR is not really anything special as a matter of fact the DR's black pop is just as pure as the white pop, they came directly from Africa via curacao, brazil, and or cape verda during the colonial era, not including the very tiny minority of cocolos which everyone knows by now that many left for PR, nearby islands, or back to their hometowns inclduing the mixed Afro-Dominican ones so. As one guy said, the first places to be discovered or established will always remain the purest. after the haitian revolution, the haitians were kicked out and including the dominicans who were with the haitians in 1844 whcih is why so many haitians have dominican or spanish surnames and we have non from them so.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Genographic Sets Sail to the Dominican Republic

�The Dominican Republic has it all.� That phrase is not just the slogan that tourists see when visiting the beautiful Caribbean nation, but it is also what a team of geneticists and anthropologists are hoping to show as they embark on a one-of-a-kind study across the eastern half of the island of Hispa�ola.

Drs. Theodore Schurr and Miguel Vilar, two Genographic Project scientists, recently visited the Caribbean country to help launch an ambitious project that intends to map the diversity and ancestry of the people of the Dominican Republic, and by doing so better understand the history of the region. The project is being led a team of Dominican researchers and is part of a collaboration between La Universidad Iberoamericana (UNIBE) and La Academia Dominicana de la Historia, both in Santo Domingo, and the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia.

Over the course of the next several months, researchers and students from UNIBE will visit most provinces in the country and meet with people from at least 25 different communities. They hope to enroll some 1000 individuals and analyze the DNA samples and demographic histories collected from them.

�Visiting the remote communities really shows us the great diversity of our country, the culture, the idiosyncrasies of the inhabitants of the various provinces, and the richness of what we are,� explains Dr. Robert Paulino, lead researcher and UNIBE professor. �We are the instruments of mother Africa, the nobility of the indigenous Taino, and the European adventurer. That mixture is what makes us Dominicans.� Once completed, this project will be one of the most comprehensive studies conducted in a single country during the Genographic Project�s 10-year history.

With keen interest in Caribbean history, in 2014 Vilar and Schurr published an article on the genetic diversity of Puerto Rico explaining how the DNAs of modern Puerto Ricans show patterns of both historic and prehistoric (pre-colonial) importance. And just last month the two scientists teamed up with Dr. Jada Benn-Torres of Notre Dame University and indigenous leaders from the islands of St. Vincent and Trinidad on a new publication that shows how the genetic patterns in those Lesser Antillean communities inform us about early Caribbean migrations, as well as colonial practices and hardships of the last five-hundred years.

�We�re really trying to connect the dots and understand the migration, the flow of people in and out of the region,� said Schurr. �Each island seems to have its distinct history.� To learn more about this and other work of the Genographic Project work visit www.genographic.com.

http://voices.nationalgeographic.co...new-ancestry-study-in-the-dominican-republic/

Sounds like a great study to finally get a better picture of the ancestors of the current citizens of the DR. They will be able to see their "roots", whether African, Spanish, Taino or other through the study of DNA. The results should be very interesting and eye opening.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
I wonder how you find Spanish roots in DNA. Caucasian probably yes, but from one specific country? I might be wrong though.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I wonder how you find Spanish roots in DNA. Caucasian probably yes, but from one specific country? I might be wrong though.

You're wrong. :)

They not only can tell you what country, they often can tell you what region or province.  Ancestry DNA not only gives you your ancient ancestry, it now breaks down where your ancestors lived 300 years ago, and in my case it was almost frighteningly accurate. 

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016

They not only can tell you what country, they often can tell you what region or province.  Ancestry DNA not only gives you your ancient ancestry, it now breaks down where your ancestors lived 300 years ago, and in my case it was almost frighteningly accurate. 

I knew a girl who made a living fluffing auras. She could tell you what color your aura was and what that meant as far as happiness and a lot of other stuff. Makes about as much sense as telling one where their ancestors lived 300 years ago.
Der Fish

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I knew a girl who made a living fluffing auras. She could tell you what color your aura was and what that meant as far as happiness and a lot of other stuff. Makes about as much sense as telling one where their ancestors lived 300 years ago.
Der Fish

I happen to know exactly where my ancestors lived 300 years ago, what surprised me was that my saliva told them that, precisely. Now, think about an adoptee who knows nothing about their biological family.........

Dominicanese

Sep 1, 2015

but that study the big one is from the 1950s idk if it can tell you where in spain the dominicans ancestry comes from and 300 years is too recent, many would have been from the canary islands not yet spain

Dominicanese

Sep 1, 2015
con ese estudio genetica dominicana enorme de 9,000 participantes podramos decir que nosotros los dominicanos somos un mulato balanciado con una pequena composicion de sangre indigena, algo que ya sabemos. ahora bien

como ya se has dicho que la poblacion mas grande desde afuera de la capital es el cibao, que es cierto. no necesariamente vas hacer predominamente europea como muchos piensan, creo que el cibao es la verdadero poblacion mulata, porque si uno vez la gente de alla no son blancos pero tampocos son prietos o negros puros como muchos de los de bayaguana, monte plata, o san cristobal. creo que la poblacion dominicana es como un 55% africano, 40% europeo (predominamente iberico y canaria), y 5% indigena. eso es mi propio opinion por lo que yo veo aqui en la capital y alla en el cibao (santiago, la vega, jarabaocoa) juntado, porque la capital es obviamente mas negro que el cibao

Jan 7, 2016
con ese estudio genetica dominicana enorme de 9,000 participantes podramos decir que nosotros los dominicanos somos un mulato balanciado con una pequena composicion de sangre indigena, algo que ya sabemos. ahora bien

como ya se has dicho que la poblacion mas grande desde afuera de la capital es el cibao, que es cierto. no necesariamente vas hacer predominamente europea como muchos piensan, creo que el cibao es la verdadero poblacion mulata, porque si uno vez la gente de alla no son blancos pero tampocos son prietos o negros puros como muchos de los de bayaguana, monte plata, o san cristobal. creo que la poblacion dominicana es como un 55% africano, 40% europeo (predominamente iberico y canaria), y 5% indigena. eso es mi propio opinion por lo que yo veo aqui en la capital y alla en el cibao (santiago, la vega, jarabaocoa) juntado, porque la capital es obviamente mas negro que el cibao

Your supposition that 5% of the population is indigenous, is probably either right-on or actually a bit optimistic. The indigenous population has been steadily being diluted since the time of Christopher Columbus and his cronies.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002

Are you Dominican? Your Spanish isn't good enough to pass for Dominican, unless you were raised elsewhere.

Dominicanese

Sep 1, 2015
Are you Dominican? Your Spanish isn't good enough to pass for Dominican, unless you were raised elsewhere.

im pure dominican, i live in arroyo hondo, but am originally from jarabacoa

since when has dominicans spoke good spanish?

for what i can understand, on facebook we dont type how you would percieve to be spanish at all

"klk manin" como tu ta loco, etc... samples

Dominicanese

Sep 1, 2015
your honestly the first person to ask me such a question, its always the opposite for me

ppl would always ask me in the web while typing in english, "your not an english speaker are you? or "are you sure you speak english cause you dont type like an english speaker or it isnt good enough"

not to mentioned the great many dominicans, puerto ricans, and cubans who do not know how to type or write well at all in spanish, but they live and were raised in said countries so, i dont understand the question in all honesty

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
your honestly the first person to ask me such a question, its always the opposite for me

ppl would always ask me in the web while typing in english, "your not an english speaker are you? or "are you sure you speak english cause you dont type like an english speaker or it isnt good enough"

not to mentioned the great many dominicans, puerto ricans, and cubans who do not know how to type or write well at all in spanish, but they live and were raised in said countries so, i dont understand the question in all honesty

My husband is Dominican, and he is continually appalled at the spelling of his fellow Dominicans......... Don't take it personally, you have a lot of company, LOL!

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe

He could be because he puts the s where it not belongs.
"Ya se has dicho"
Pero then again I doubt too. "Propio opinion" is a mistake a native speaker wouldnt make.

Dominicanese

Sep 1, 2015
He could be because he puts the s where it not belongs.
"Ya se has dicho"
Pero then again I doubt too. "Propio opinion" is a mistake a native speaker wouldnt make.

u guys are likely old lol, non of my friends even type or write well in spanish and theyr dominican so, like i said i live here (arroyo hondo) been here my whole life and am from jarabacoa, lot of us type sentences like this "tu ba pa la playa manin" or "yo no has comio umia ei dia enteo" so yeah idk wtf u guys are talking about, even have some friends of mine ask me to spell their words lol and they only know spanish haha and theyr dominican

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
u guys are likely old lol, non of my friends even type or write well in spanish and theyr dominican so, like i said i live here (arroyo hondo) been here my whole life and am from jarabacoa, lot of us type sentences like this "tu ba pa la playa manin" or "yo no has comio umia ei dia enteo" so yeah idk wtf u guys are talking about, even have some friends of mine ask me to spell their words lol and they only know spanish haha and theyr dominican

Education might be the key not age. Just my guess. And "Ba" is not with B de burro.