Do you believe in miracles??? World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

x_man

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
M_Queen,

you are right. Americas business is business!
Who said this? I forgot. X

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Re: Can a girl give her humble opinion?

Musicqueen said:
IT'S ALL ABOUT MONEY!!!
doh2.gif

The reason soccer is not a major sport in the U.S. doesn't have anything to do with people not liking the sport...

There are millions of people from all over the World living in the U.S. that LOVE soccer...not football or baseball...

But there's so much money involved in these major sports in the U.S. and team owners have so much to loose, that of course...it's taking some time for Soccer to become King of All Sports here as it is already in the rest of the World...
paranoid1.gif

BUT THE TIME WILL COME!!!
kissmile.gif

Then why did South Florida lose it's Soccer team do to poor attendance? You would think that with all of the immigrants here it would have been sucessful.
While still extremely popular the fact is that Soccer has been slowly slipping. It is no longer the most watch sport. F-1 is! All of the major sports have shown a slippage in popularty due to Expanded TV coverage of other sports. In the US NASCAR is 2nd only to the NFL. Baseball is continuing its slide and Hockey is barely on the map. Yet things like Extreme Sports are drawing ever increasings numbers.
Today's youth want instant gratification in everything in their lives including sports. They want their sports fast and with lots of action. That is why sportslike Soccer and baseball will continue to loose popularity.

Tony C.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Let's put a few things in perspective.

But first we need to get the naming right, it's football to most of the world, not soccer.

Facts about USA football (soccer):

Not is it the biggest youth sport but it is also the fastest growing sport among youths.

Professional soccer is one of the fastest growing American pro sports.

Many sports experts predict within 10-15 years football (soccer) will be bigger than NFL in regards to it's TV coverage and dollar generating power. Watch out, we is coming for ya...

To add...

The world cup is the largest TV event on the planet.

99% of the worlds countries play football and has organized football events.

No other sport can bring a country to a stand still, force public holidays, have a huge positive or negative affect on an economy or force a president to resign. Yes, this is football baby, the most played and attended sport in the world!

Why am I so pro football?

As a kid, football allowed me to travel all over Europe and interact with different cultures and gain new experiences. Football gives this opportunity to thousands and thousands of kids globally. Many, many youth teams in Europe, Asia, Latin America and the USA travel, support and compete against each other on a regular basis. Trust me, organizing and participating in football competitions that bring kids from many countries and backgrounds together is a truly moving event. This level of inter nation youth competition happens in no other sport.

Mid June I'll be in Czech Republic supporting my 14 year old nephew as he represents his country competing in Prague.

Rob.

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Tony C..

the reason South Florida lost its MLS team is exactly what I'm talking about...

Think about it...why on Earth would a professional soccer team play in such a puny little dirt field as Lockhart?

Have you ever been there? Even the poorest of teams back in my country play in better fields than that so called "stadium"...

It's 45 minutes away from Miami, where the majority of the immigrant soccer fans live, plus tolls, parking, entrance, food and drinks...that makes it not only expensive...its crazy!

Watch next weekend, June 16...River vs. Boca at the Orange Bowl...more than 30,000 people are expected! 'Cause it's right in the middle of the action!

The money people don't want soccer/f?tbol to succeed...period!

And something else, the majority of people in South Florida are becoming so desilusioned about the whole sports scene here...(Marlins, Heat, Dolphins) that if it wasn't for the money behind it...all those teams would dissappear also!

"Today's youth want instant gratification in everything in their lives including sports. They want their sports fast and with lots of action"...do you want more action and a faster sport than soccer/f?tbol? You try running non-stop for 45 minutes...

Do you think any baseball player would ever be able to do that?

Today's youth in the United States is very spoiled...and the way they teach them to play the game takes all the fun out of it!

All the uniforms, rules and regulations, coaches and organizations will never produce any Francescolis, Peles, Maradonas, Beckmans, Petits, etc.

Let the US kids play without shoes, or even a real ball...in the dirt...or on the streets...like most of the kids around the world learn to play the sport...and then maybe we'll see a winning team in the USA.

Don't get me wrong now...my kids grew up playing soccer here...(even my daughter!) but they also played in Uruguay and Chile...so they know the difference...and all modesty aside...they were much better players than their counterparts...

Having said all that...GO U.S.A. I think they have an even better chance of advancing to the next round than my beloved Uruguay!

Last edited:

Janice

Jan 12, 2002
When ONE World Cup game attracts the attention or draws the audience of the Superbowl, I'll admit to "Soccer" being more watched. Sure its seen by more people, but if you were to show true stats (Each soccer game v each NFL game, then the truth would be known)

Soccer is boring, there is nothing like the intensity of NFL'

I will admit the Soccer players are likely better conditioned Aerobically as they need to play the full time, but put one of them up against an NFL lineman and see who moves who, or let ANY soccer player try to run with Randy Moss. The NFL is predicated on 10 second "burst" of energy, not dragging an event out for an hour

Janice

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Originally posted by Janice:
When ONE World Cup game attracts the attention or draws the audience of the Superbowl, I'll admit to "Soccer" being more watched.
I hope you meant in the US, because globally nothing beats the World Cup. Do you honestly think that people in Senegal, Denmark or Slovenia care a flea spit about the Superbowl? Even in DR more people are watching the World Cup than they ever paid attention to the Superbowl.

Today's word is perspective.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Janice, stop it....

The audiences of most of the Quarterfinals will easily bring the nations involved to a stop. the finals will bring the civilized world to a stop...

No doubt about it, FIFA is the largest, most powerful sports organizacion in the world, with FIA and NASCAR close behind.

And I am a diehard NFL fan...

MQ
music765.gif
, I shed a tear for you today. the 0-0 tie with France was the death of Uruguay's hopes....
crying.gif

HB
needs_a_shave.gif

Janice

Jan 12, 2002
Sorry PIB

Sorry PIB, Stats show the superbowl is the single most watched sports event in the WORLD

If 1/2 the people in Brooklyn watch the Superbowl, it offsets the participation of Slovenia, Senegal and Denmark.

In the 80's, William the "Refrigerator" Perry was the most recognized sports name in the World.

US advertising hits everywhere, like it or not.

What sports do Dominicans watch? US baseball of course

Janice

Janice

Jan 12, 2002
PIB, not the only "Know it all" :)

Not bad for from someone other than yourself, huh!

No, though I am getting frustrated finding a site to direct people such as yourself to, many of the reasons for the Bowl being the most watched are: Commercials (people love the new offers) it is a KNOWN date and time, it is a one time event, over 138 million in the US alone watched this year.

I certainly don't mind if you have your myopic views, but don't bother trying to share them with me, they don't hold any meaning.

I'll quickly admit the World Cup Series attracts more viewers, but NO SINGLE EVENT outdoes the SuperBowl.

Janice

Janice

Jan 12, 2002
Even here

on this baord which seems to have a low US participation, I recall far more inquiries as to "where can I watch the Superbowl in the DR" than the questions about the Worl Cup. Care to expalin that?

Janice

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
So you want numbers!!!

Lets back this up with some facts. Oh, I do love the Internet.

Super Bowl 2001:
ESTIMATED PEOPLE VIEWING WORLDWIDE: 800-million.

http://www.sptimes.com/News/012801/SuperBowl2001/TVradio_facts_and_fig.shtml

Not bad numbers when compared to cricket or baseball.

Let's now look at some real viewing figures.

France World Cup 1998:
The popularity of the tournament has increased every time, and the total TV audience of the 64 matches was estimated to be 37 billion(!) viewers, averaging 578 million viewers per game, with the final itself watched live by 2 billion people, or every third human being! Simply staggering numbers which outclass any other TV event.

http://www.worldcuparchive.com/CUPS/1998/wc98index.html

The estimated viewing figures for 2002 are expected to be higher.

I hope now we have finally settled which is the most watched TV sporting event and the most popular sport on the planet.

All this aside, I would be quite happy with half those numbers if England can beat Argentina tomorrow. One thing is for sure, if your an Englishman it's the most important event in your life to date in 2002 :)

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Re: Even here

Janice said:
on this baord which seems to have a low US participation, I recall far more inquiries as to "where can I watch the Superbowl in the DR" than the questions about the Worl Cup. Care to expalin that?

Janice

Let me give you a peek into the inner santum of DR1 stats.
I just posted a screen shot of our board stats by country.

http://dr1.com/board_stats.gif

As you can clearly see, 72.1% of the visitors to this board eminate from the USA.

He, he, he, your having a bad stats day....

Janice

Jan 12, 2002
Hardly

Robert

If just one of my posts are in error, I consider it a victory. I don't know about visitors, only you would know that, I was going by inquiires posted by people wishing to watch the superbowl and what I have gathered about board participanst from their own admissions.. How about my inference that there were more inquiries on the Superbowl than Worldcup (not including today's "debate?")

Janice

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Archive search for 2001. Keyword: superbowl =11 posts
This thread only (there have been a few already) =34 posts

:devious:

Last edited:

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
IMHO the answer could lie in the "fact"

that followers of "football"/soccer KNOW where to watch the World Cup. Off all the Italians,Argentinians,Englishmen,and Irish,Greeks etc.I know of , everyone follows the games religiously and everyone knows where to go to see the Cup games be they World Cup or European Cup etc.
Most of the men I know that watch American football are not familiar enough with the DR to know where to go to find a "football" fraternity in the country and so must inquire as to where games are being viewed. It is interesting to note that at several of the "bars" we frequent in the DR if there is a "football" game on the satellite screen and a soccer game is about to start the channel gets changed to the soccer.

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Janice...

Janice said:
No, though I am getting frustrated finding a site to direct people such as yourself to, many of the reasons for the Bowl being the most watched are: Commercials (people love the new offers) it is a KNOWN date and time, it is a one time event, over 138 million in the US alone watched this year.

I certainly don't mind if you have your myopic views, but don't bother trying to share them with me, they don't hold any meaning.

I'll quickly admit the World Cup Series attracts more viewers, but NO SINGLE EVENT outdoes the SuperBowl.

Janice

MYOPIC VIEWS? Please read your post again!!!

HB...thanks for thinking of me today...but let me tell you...MIRACLES DO HAPPEN...we are not completely out of the running yet...and just look at Senegal and USA...if they could do it...

En mi pa?s se dice..."Lo ?ltimo que se pierde es la esperanza"...or my favorite one in English..."It's not over 'till the fat lady sings"...

Mommc...absolutely right!!!

Pib...Your Majesty...I might be Queen of Music...but you OWN this board, baby!!! (No offense, Rob!)

Janice

Jan 12, 2002
MusicQueen

I usually find that proofreading for spelling errors is sufficient, is there something other than the "rallying of the wagons" in PIB's defense I should be aware of? My views are hardly myopic, they are factual.

It does not take one long to understand that if you "ruffle the feathers' or question the authority of one of the board regulars, you get blasted by the sheep

I deal with facts so your prejudiced opinion in support of PIB hardly is of consequence

As for the search of Superbowl v. World cup, you did exactly as I asked Rob not to; you included this rambling diatribe of non sequential information regarding requests to view the game v. our debate over viwership

It's amazing what some people will do to try and "win" an invalid argument.

You also apparently missed my comment that the Superbowl is played on a designated date at a designated time each year, people can plan their 2005 SuperBowl parties today, thus increasing viewing of the event.

So you like Soccer, being a native Chicagoan, I like Football and B Ball, but I don't try to skew facts simple to impress my likes upon others. Face it, Soccer is more popular worldwide, but no one event is more watched than the Superbowl.

Tough luck ladies, we don't always stick together

Janice

x_man

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Janice,

I like American football very much but the superbowl is most of the time pretty boring it's
just a TV spectacle. I remember may be
3 or four exiting SB games. ( when SF49er's were
in it) . You don't know anything about soccer,
but that does not make you a bad person.
Keep it up. X

Status
Not open for further replies.