Do You Ever Bark at Locals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
The idiocy here: I'm at Banreservas in Isabel La Catolica in SD this morning. While not standing exactly inside the green lines that herd the poor souls who have to endure physically walking into a bank here, a guard approaches and tells me I must stand inside the lines. Without looking at her I pointed out three individuals using their cell phones, something that is very clearly not allowed. Her response was that people don't listen and she was tired of telling people not to do that. I was, by default, an easier target for her to justify her existence as a guard and avoid confrontation.

Last edited:

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I respect people who stand firm in their convictions. I usually tell people
that "change comes from within"... So I'd say ya got ya work cut out for ya
partner but I'll definitely give ya a "A" for the effort.
My mission is not to change the culture. I don't go looking for trouble.

I will, however, selectively call out bad behavior when I see it. Seems Monday was just one of those days when bad behavior was in front of me.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I chased the guy selling drugs in front of the school off. I didnt threaten him just told him to go somewhere else to ply his trade. He did without argument. Everyday I feel like chasing one or two motos down for their dangerous driving but realize it would be ****ing again the wind and these young machos have no respect for anyone.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Cobraboy, I commend you. If I see someone mistreating an animal, then I will first have some words with them, very calmly. If I see someone wailing on their female companion, I'll try to stop them and have some words with them. Too many times when people intervene physically when couples are fighting, the one who intervenes ends up getting the wrong end of the stick with the female companion helping her friend kick that person's ass. Just ask a cop what happens and they'll tell you. If somone is hitting a child, then all bets are off. I'll be willing to accept the consequences whatever that might be.

Well.........I have a story...

One night in PHL at a restaurant...wife, daughter, me.....
one other couple.... a gay couple having a wild argument using foul language... a lot of it.

I had the young daughter.

I approached and cautioned them.

They were dumbfounded - then angry - yelled at me and left.

I guess the verbal abuse was part of their schtick .... some sort of wooing, foreplay, whatever

Anyway....... we were rid of them and had the place to ourselves.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Well.........I have a story...

One night in PHL at a restaurant...wife, daughter, me.....
one other couple.... a gay couple having a wild argument using foul language... a lot of it.

I had the young daughter.

I approached and cautioned them.

They were dumbfounded - then angry - yelled at me and left.

I guess the verbal abuse was part of their schtick .... some sort of wooing, foreplay, whatever

Anyway....... we were rid of them and had the place to ourselves.

A Certain "group" of people often discipline their children in Public, very Loudly..
I think its overcompensating, but none of my business.
I never interfere .. its a waste of time.. but i sometimes wonder , where the *** is Child Protective services , as they are surely doing this in Public a LOT .. and some of the kids look kind of abused ..

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
A Certain "group" of people often discipline their children in Public, very Loudly..
I think its overcompensating, but none of my business.
I never interfere .. its a waste of time.. but i sometimes wonder , where the *** is Child Protective services , as they are surely doing this in Public a LOT .. and some of the kids look kind of abused ..

must be rough on you when you visit the DR.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
i agree with you one hundred percent. and those who find it so irksome, go back to Boise.

one little word of caution for some guys who believe that getting into it with locals is a good idea....it might be, then again it might not. some people might leave the DR, and find themselves living on a different island in the caribbean. if that island is St Croix, or Jamaica, or Trinidad, such actions will get you shot, instantaneously. there will be no conversations, nor arguments. it will be gunfire.

You are very correct indeed. Without being so descriptive, this is what I was referring to within post #7. There seem to be many here who prefer to ride the proverbial high horse. To each their own though, and happy trails going forward. I happen to be a particularly large man myself, but I do without the ten gallon John Wayne hat. Regardless, it is and will remain my position that it is a dangerous path to travel for foreigners when they attempt to correct or modify the actions and behavior of native peoples, regardless of country in question.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Regardless, it is and will remain my position that it is a dangerous path to travel for foreigners when they attempt to correct or modify the actions and behavior of native peoples, regardless of country in question.

Having lived in Eastern Europe, South East Asia and the DR... I agree.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
You are very correct indeed. Without being so descriptive, this is what I was referring to within post #7. There seem to be many here who prefer to ride the proverbial high horse. To each their own though, and happy trails going forward. I happen to be a particularly large man myself, but I do without the ten gallon John Wayne hat. Regardless, it is and will remain my position that it is a dangerous path to travel for foreigners when they attempt to correct or modify the actions and behavior of native peoples, regardless of country in question.

If I had done anything like the OP, I would landed on serious trouble with my wife. Basically the strain of thought being that whoever behaves as the OP described, must think in a really different way than myself or any adult with all the senses, and that alone would potentially put me and my family into a risk of something serious. In the lines what the gorgon said above.

Someone who has the mindset that it's ok to kick a small animal to head, must have something seriously wrong between the ears. I'd rather stay far away from a person like that... We've almost always had dogs, for a while we had 5, and we all like all animals... Anyone who gets kicks from causing them pain... Cannot even start to understand...

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
"...must have something seriously wrong between the ears."

This is a widespread feature here :D

I bark a lot, when in my car. Mostly to myself and the passengers, lol. But my wife has to stop me a lot to not confront the first daily idiot of countless idiots one encounters here after being out of the house not even 2 minutes.

But if I could like I would I would buy a tank and run them all over. :rambo: Rant over.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
If I had done anything like the OP, I would landed on serious trouble with my wife. Basically the strain of thought being that whoever behaves as the OP described, must think in a really different way than myself or any adult with all the senses, and that alone would potentially put me and my family into a risk of something serious. In the lines what the gorgon said above.

Someone who has the mindset that it's ok to kick a small animal to head, must have something seriously wrong between the ears. I'd rather stay far away from a person like that... We've almost always had dogs, for a while we had 5, and we all like all animals... Anyone who gets kicks from causing them pain... Cannot even start to understand...
Your benign neglect empowers and enables bad behavior. Scoundrels bank on timid people not calling their behavior out...just as bullies do.

It is situational. There are doers and talkers, and choosing the situations to act requires discretion.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
The Ultimate Insult and Idiocy in the D.R.

While on the subject of throwing trash out.........

Just got back from bringing my wife back from the city.

As I was parking, noticed a LARGE white cloth bag laying partially behind my outdoor concrete trash container.

I assumed someone in the family put it there instead of next to the trash container where the trash truck people could pick it up.

I played back the video to see who in the family put it there.

NO ONE IN THE FAMILY PUT IT THERE.

The trash truck had come by and in the process of emptying our trash bin just happened to have a large white cloth bag filled with dirt, etc. that they did not want.

So they decided it was a good idea to get rid of it at my place.
They picked it up and threw it off their truck behind my trash container......

Damn, you can´t even trust the trash collectors to do their job in this country.

I have it all on video, wish I knew someone important to give a copy of the full video.

Never mind, no one probably cares anyway.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
"I have it all on video, wish I knew someone important to give a copy of the full video."

And??? :p:bunny::bunny:

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004

As I was parking, noticed a LARGE white cloth bag laying partially behind my outdoor concrete trash container.

I assumed someone in the family put it there instead of next to the trash container where the trash truck people could pick it up.

The trash truck had come by and in the process of emptying our trash bin just happened to have a large white cloth bag filled with dirt, etc. that they did not want.

Damn, you can´t even trust the trash collectors to do their job in this country.

I have it all on video, wish I knew someone important to give a copy of the full video.

Sounds like a trip to Ave. Juan Pablo Duarte # 85 is in order...

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002

Post it on Twitter and tag alcaldiadestgo and capiurtecho (the traffic informer every morning on the radio in ‘el gobierno de la mañana’). He has a big crowd of followers and although he mostly retweets traffic issues I wouldn’t doubt he would retweet your video.

Unless it’s too obvious from the video where your house is.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Post it on Twitter and tag alcaldiadestgo and capiurtecho (the traffic informer every morning on the radio in ‘el gobierno de la mañana’). He has a big crowd of followers and although he mostly retweets traffic issues I wouldn’t doubt he would retweet your video.

Unless it’s too obvious from the video where your house is.

yes. it would be a shame if you did that, then you just happened to have a fire.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
It doesn't happen often, but there have been times where the complete lack of courtesy or consideration, or the sheer stupidity of the situation, was so egregious that I've just "lost it" - and they got a quite an unfiltered response from me.

I do a lot, mostly driving,but I will get out of my car and move their bikes and yell at them if they don't get out of the way and just don't care that my car doesn't fit by. THAT DRIVES ME INSANE! Doesn't matter if you are a gringo, dom or Haitian to me. Usually they just look at me in amazement. I do think my tats help, or my crazy eyes but i rarely ever have them yell back at me or put up any fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.