Does the Metro make money?

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
in 2012.....and the work on all the lines continue......would that not be a political first. Seems to me that in the past, once the government changed hands, all projects of the prior administration were abandoned/halted for newer "more important" projects.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

In that case lets hope that the PLD wins it then...
LOL!

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
no, no, pichardo. you ain't worming your way our of it with excuses. i don't wanna know about no dynamics. i don't wanna know about no costs of L2. all i want to know is: how much does it cost daily to operate existing line? is incoming money anywhere close to that cost?

i have a full understanding of the necessity of decent public transport, even if only to pi** off that hobo deputado guy, whatshisface. metro (or any other organized PUBLIC public trasport) is good. the government may have to sponsor it, i do not mind. they'd steal money from us with some or other taxes to make up for this. i am asking about cost vs profit out of curiosity.

The L1 is pulling in over US$19 million a year, the operating cost for the system as it stands now is budgeted at US$25 million...
The subsidy is exactly a bit less than the US$25 million, as explained, to use the revenues produced by the L1 in the other L2 and projects freely.

So if you are to ask:

US$25 million operating cost
US$19.2 million (more o less) revenues
Deficit of US$5.8 (more or less) in the revenue to cost calculation!

Believe you me when fares are what they must be, the revenues will outpace the costs and leave a slim profit margin, which will keep growing each passing operating year.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
And the sad part was that the actual subsidy to the L1 was going to be a lot less given the revenue projections, but also given the attacks on the funding for the L2 and feeder system for both lines, the subsidy was kicked for the full amount of the operating costs and the revenues since used for the construction of the L2 and related stuff.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
You have no idea how many Metro systems heard those same words in large numbers, as they started their operations...

Today we know them as the arteries of the towns they serve and have become the blood vessels of the cities.

A country the size of the DR, is only logical that Metro systems will one day become the roads we'll all travel underground.

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
Pp

When you have zilch to counter an argument you guys always resort to name calling! Why am I not surprise here!:tired:

We travel in time not miles or distances! Do people take a bus a say, I'll be there in 300 kms???

Tiime is the essence of our transportation systems and how we conduct the majority of our daily rutines. By cutting the time it takes to travel from A to B, you provide time saving solutions to people that had little to pick from before.

Speed rail provides the platform to manage that time saving effect efficiently and with major energy savings over all other options available today. Just because the train is built ot travel at "x" max speeds, will not translate into having that speed as normal operating velocity. This translate into that the train can depart within a margin of alloted tardiness and still make up for the lost time, engaging with high speed to the next stop. A service that offers such reliability and safity of travel, is bound to impact greatly on the daily rutines of those that need to make the trek between point A and B, as they do now ineficiently with buses and facing greater risks of having an accident in the roads.

Why bother? That's your prerrogative and choice, I'm surely not forcing you to debate anything here but offer my "educated" opinion on the facts with factual merits, not "hmmm, I believe this opt to do it better!"...

A passenger speed rail service between the two major cities is a logical nessecity as much as the need for a road that's in use today since built. But here you would counter at the time of such investment: Why spend all this money on a road, when we have completely fine horses and trails all over the place to make the same trip!!! Ah! Yes! at the time the first major link between the two cities was built, at the time cars were not any faster than horse pulled carriages, since the ride was so bumpy that hitting the speedometer's top speed could easily spell doom to the riders in most situations.

But you see where that argument stands today, so too in the subway of NYC, Paris Metro, the Tube in London, Japan's undregrown and not to even mention the bullet train services (without which the Japanese would not even dream being without today).

For the DR is only a logical transportation evolutionary step to adopt newer tecnologies in applied solutions, in use all over the world today. Only ours will do so at the comfort of applying the latest advances on such segments and to the maPpximum capacity of savings unlike our worldly predecesors and early adopters of such solutions.

Just because you "think" not, doesn't preclude that fact that it's logical and proven to work efficiently 100%!

Who can afford it? You'll see when it's built and in service!:D
Pichardo didn't write this, too many typos:)

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
When you have the rail line crisscrossing the country and the transport unions cut out of the long hauls what do you do when the union thugs start sabotaging the rail line?

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Pichardo didn't write this, too many typos:)

You have a good eye! LOL!

My nephew has been practicing his English skills and I wanted to have an assistant, while eating Mandarins!

He's crashing with me until next week, so expect more typos than usual... Not that I was squeaky clean on that field, but I never dreamed somebody would actually notice it! LOL!

That begs the question: What exactly do you do (or did if retired) for a living? Inquiring minds want to know!

Last edited by a moderator:

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
PICHARDO gushes

Just because old systems like the NYC subway are money losers, the SD a sacrifice cow won't make!
Japan's subway is run like a biz, turning a profit. So too in other systems in use today all around the world. Not all systems are money losers!

the list, please, of systems ?ll around the world?, wich make a profit. and, please specify if you are referring to farebox recovery rates in excess of 100% olny, or if you are calculating capital costs in the equation. besides, it has nothing to do with whether the systems are old or not. it is a matter of population density and other geographic information components.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
The Metro as recent as March during peak times and a bunch of students in "coros"...

Each car that went by was the same thing "packed" like sardines in a can... It gets so bad that many waiting in the platforms opt to let the train pass and await for a less packed train behind, the most of these are women that don't like the crowded conditions much.

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EqcZb9O0eog?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EqcZb9O0eog?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
If you live in the DR, then you should at least understand some basic Dominican Spanish by now!

Skip to the 4:50 seconds on the video and hear from official source where the ridership on the L1 stands alone today...

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8pPzZtZcWig&rel=0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8pPzZtZcWig&rel=0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

The Video is about Line 2 of the Metro...

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
what is "in you world of opinion"? Moronic? "It only takes a hight school student". My my arent we superior? Ask a simple question and we open the floodgates of b.s.!! No, they do not make money. No, they will not make money in the future. Yes, a good number of connected people made fortunes in the construction. Normal in the DR.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
mass transit comes under the heading of infrastructure

it is what moves a nation

as in commerce and labor

it is a necessity

not important the petty fortunes made

it matters that the rails were laid

the tunnels dug

because they will serve for

over 100 years

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
There Is Indeed a Need For "Mass Transit" In Limited Circumstances.

NOT in the case of the DR!
A few thousand poor people in Santo Domingo ride the METRO,ok!
But could that money be put to other pressing needs here?
How about to pay off the DR's MASSIVE "Deuda Exerna"!
How about education,health care,putting "Pay-As-You-Go" electric meters on EVERY house in the country?
The, "Under/Over passes that Leonel has built in,and near, the capital ARE an example of "Infrastructure" that WAS needed. A HUGE return on the comparative investment.Save "gas",and man hours,not to mention tempers!
Show me ANY mass transit system,anywhere,in the world that makes money??????????????
The current Metro of Santo Domingo,and the ongoing and(Hopefully Not!) extensions are NOTHING less that a scam to make millions more for the corrupt politicians,contractors,and suppliers in this country!
I KNOW how it "works" here.I was witness to a 250,000,000US$ project 15 years ago.That project continues to be expanded every few years.Gotta buy that new yepetta!
MA,I know you are a good person,and you want the best for the poorer Dominicans,but a Mass Transit system here will NOT do that!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

AJL6767

Apr 14, 2011
Even in NYC the subway and bus system are subsidized by other revenues, but when you factor in the economics generated by the rapid mobility of so many people, it seems to be a worthwhile system. If the government had the " guts" to remove the publicos and guaguas from that route, the passenger base would double and the traffic would reduce by 50 %. This is a long range project and cannot be calculated on the short term. Even in business, you cannot open a shop today and expect to turn a profit for the first few years and you would be lucky to break even after the first year.

Aug 19, 2004
Even in NYC the subway and bus system are subsidized by other revenues, but when you factor in the economics generated by the rapid mobility of so many people, it seems to be a worthwhile system. If the government had the " guts" to remove the publicos and guaguas from that route, the passenger base would double and the traffic would reduce by 50 %. This is a long range project and cannot be calculated on the short term. Even in business, you cannot open a shop today and expect to turn a profit for the first few years and you would be lucky to break even after the first year.

Agree. A public transport system is a long term investment and a social necessity. Other factors that should be considered are time savings, catchments etc..

+ there needs to be more attention paid to land use planning - ensuring that people can go to defined central business/service districts that serve mutilpe needs rather than criss-crossing the city, generating unnecessary journies and congestion. The whole of Santo Domingo seems to be designed for car access only - yet how many people can afford to run a car.

+ even if they complete the metro lines the city will still need a modern integrated bus sytem - where are they? And some thought needs to be given to the pedestrian network - even if you use the metro you still need to get to your final destination which will probably involve crossing roads, foot paths etc..

+where is the evidence of any commitment to a modern PT system - it just seems to be based on building stuff. The lack of a decent PT system means that ordinary Dominicans have to spend a fortune on maintaing a car to go anywhere - example being the university surely it would have been better to invest money in a safe and reliable PT system than build a huge car park that will generate more tarffice + ensure that the only safe way to get to UASD is by private car (and how many students can afford that?). Plenty of examples fro Latin America on how to run a sustainable and efficient PT system.

Whilst I am at it why is there still no public transport provison to the airport?

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LoVRV_xGEqc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>