Dominican boyfriend wants to visit Canada

montrealNH

Feb 24, 2010
The embassy is open from 8-11am Mon-Thurs. You are told to come back the next day to pick up your passport, and either you will have a visa inside or you will get your passport back with a rejection letter.
But it should take only 1 day.

Wow, Only one day? The website says the delay is about 114 days now. Do they tell the applicant to come back the next day for his answer?

tink23

Jul 15, 2008
114 days is probably the amount that Dominicans had to wait when all the visa stuff was done in Port Au Prince for Canada.
Yes, they will give him a little embassy card, and on the back it will say the date and time to return. It will most likely be the following day at 3pm, as 3pm is when they do all the passport returning. Unless things have changed since October when he applied, it should be the next business day (except Friday because according to the Santo Domingo Canadian Embassy website, the embassy is not open to the public on Friday).

ron metzger

Jan 4, 2011
My wife is in dominican republic i am in Canada I wanted her to visit in December but she was denied.They said her ties to the dominican were not strong enough that she would not come back.She has a five year old son.They feel she will not come back instead get a job become citizen then send to get her son over.in the mean time she would send money back home.It is something that does happen and they know it.They have to have a good job and lots of money in the bank or property that would say they are coming back on the date he specifys.Children are not enough...I am applying for her to come hear .permenently..it takes a bit of time to get all the paper work together photos, phone records anything that says its real situation...it can be done even on a visit it often depends on which agent you have.But the biggest part is you have to travel 4 hours to apply and wait then be told you also need another thing then all the way back and then back again. wait all day then be told no.then reapply again.Some people work everyday hard to find the time..

ron metzger

Jan 4, 2011
They will tell you to come back the same day at 3pm if your going to be approved they will take your passport and you will come back in 2 days then it will be stamped

tink23

Jul 15, 2008
I don't know for sure, but I don't think there is a certain amount of time you have to wait for a TRV to Canada.... I remember trying to find it before my bf and I had submitted our TRV application, but I couldn't find the info online after much searching. Thank goodness it didn't even matter.
It might be quickest to call CIC?? But I don't know if they deal with TRVs or just PR.....

Frank Gee

Mar 19, 2011
You can apply ever Monday and Thursday (8-11am). You get your passport back in about 1 week and not 1 day. Unless that has changed. If you renew a visa will will get it back the same day at 3pm. You can apply every week if you want.

My wife got refused 3 times and we just reapplied. They must have gotten sick of us so see finaly gave her a visa. She has now traveled 4 or 5 times.

So keep trying, but you do need money in a back account and it better be in there for at least one year. $10,000 or about $RD 350,000

ron metzger

Jan 4, 2011
keep trying

they tell you in the denile letter that you may reapply and that case is closed so you start over new application and re pay to apply and go through it again.it is a hit and miss on the appliction its how informed it is. the clearer it is the better it is.It is all about your ties and will you come back what makes them think so. really think about it, be clear why..and you do get your passport back same day.$75 is not all that much to have someone you care about down to visit.The letter of invitation is your biggest part and all parts of it....in my opinion

Zap28

Feb 24, 2011
I was told that all paperwork has to be translated to english & it costs a good chunk of money to do this? Anyone know about this? Non-refundable75$ to apply for a visitors visa no guarantee of approval... I'm curious the out & out cost and everything needed to have someone come visit Canada from the DR. Or is it as simple as applying for the visitors visa or rather TRV and that's it?? How much is it to obtain a passport down in the DR??

Johana

May 24, 2006
Zap
if you are submitting documents that are in Spanish then yes they would need to be translated into English or French. Translations in the DR are not that expensive.

We recently applied for multiple entry TRV's for MIL (Feb 14) and FIL (March 24) and both were approved. They applied in the morning and picked up passports with visas inside later in the afternoon.

We sent copies of my husband's birth certificate (with translation) our marriage certificate (with translation).
We also provided copies of our bank statements as our letters of invitation mentioned that we would pay for flight and expenses while here. We also provided a letter from my husband's employer and his final pay stub to prove his income. I am not working but provided a copy of my application for EI benefits.
They provided their bank statements as the application asks how much money the applicant has for their visit.
We sent money that they deposited before my MIL applied and there was no issue with that - maybe because it's parents and not bf/gf.
We also stated that we would be willing to use our condo and vehicle as collateral to ensure their returns - even though I know you cannot do that. So we also sent copies of our documents for those as well.
Part of our reason for the visit is to visit with their granddaughter so we sent a copy of her birth certificate and to see their newest grandchild due in April. I only sent copies of ultrasound pictures - no letter from my doctor.
We initially applied just for MIL as she is a teacher and would have her husband as ties to return home. Seeing as we were successful and that my MIL did not want to travel alone and my husband would have had to go get her we decided it was worth a shot to apply for FIL.
I mentioned in my invitation letter for FIL (I sent one for each that was more personal and detailed) that they have a grandson that lives with them full time - but we did not send any proof to that effect.

MIL rec'd a 1 year multiple entry TRV and FIL rec'd a 2 year multiple entry TRV. We only mentioned the one visit in our letters of application so the duration of the visas are random.

Zap28

Feb 24, 2011
So apart from applying for the visa you also need to purchase a passport... anything else? And how much does it cost?

When you apply for the visa, you need the letter of invitation & any documents asked for... where do you send them?? Like if I'm going to invite someone here, what do "I" need to do on my end??? Where do "I" go?

Johana

May 24, 2006
Zap,
the person in the DR should know or be able to find out the cost of getting the passport.

As Sangria suggests go to the CIC website via the links she provided you and you can read the application guide.

You would send the invitation letter (you can google to find examples) along with any of your documents to the invitee. Current rates via UPS and DHL are $70.00 for 3-4 day delivery. You take your chances with Canada Post as to when it may arrive.

As mentioned any documents in Spanish would need to be translated to English or French.

Your invitee would take all documents and the completed application to the Canadian Embassy in Santo Domingo. They will pay the fee either $75usd(single entry) or $150usd(multiple entry) at Scotia Bank - which is in the same building as the embassy.

They drop off the passport and documents at the embassy and in most cases recently come back in the afternoon to pick up the passport with a decision.

Zap28

Feb 24, 2011
I'm curious where I find out the cost to translate the papers if need be?? I assume that when filed in the DR they are in spanish, so they will need to be translated to english... or is there a way around that?

The person I am speaking with about this, who wants to visit here, hasn't mentioned this aspect of the process, and I just don't think it's smart to bother beginning the process if translations need to be made and they are surprised with the cost. I'm trying to find out the possible total, just to be prepared.

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
Zap,

Have you read the application guide yet?

The documents have to be in English or French and there is no way around it.

Trying to cut corners will get you denied without question.

Your friend will have to find a certified translator and get some prices. Translations aren't overly expensive in the DR.

Zap28

Feb 24, 2011
I see... OK, I figured they would have to be in english, just didn't know if that's something I would have to do or the applicant in the DR?? Maybe I'm just overthinking things? I appreciate the patience & responses from everyone. ;)

Zap28

Feb 24, 2011
Oh, and I did go to the site on how to write an invitation, what is required etc. but didn't see anything about translation. I'll go back and double check. Thanks.

Johana

May 24, 2006
Zap,
you are being given correct information here. Any documents in spanish need to be translated - and no, there is no getting around that. The person you are looking to invite should be able to find out this information. Rates for certified translations are cheaper in DR than in Canada.

Can I just say that if this is someone that you do not know that well or do not have a close long standing relationship with then you may not be successful getting a visa.