Dominican boyfriend wants to visit Canada

Zap28

Feb 24, 2011
As of right now it's just talk anyway... but I like to know what's in store for me if it ever comes down to the DOING part of it all. I'm not holding my breath by any means. ;) I totally appreciate all the info tho... thanks a gazillion.

PrincesseEm

Dec 2, 2008
I guess we just got lucky - my boyfriend presented a couple of documents to the Canadian embassy in Paris (he's Dominican, living in Switzerland and Paris is where residents of Switzerland apply for TRVs) in German. Nobody said anything although they asked him a couple of questions to clarify.

He's done twice now...FYI. Although I guess YMMV (your mileage may vary)...

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
I guess we just got lucky - my boyfriend presented a couple of documents to the Canadian embassy in Paris (he's Dominican, living in Switzerland and Paris is where residents of Switzerland apply for TRVs) in German. Nobody said anything although they asked him a couple of questions to clarify.

He's done twice now...FYI. Although I guess YMMV (your mileage may vary)...

It's not luck, your boyfriend is already living outside the D.R.

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
You got exactly. Once they have that first visa out of here the subsequent visas become much much easier to get!

And some countries have very different processes to get a visa!

Reese

Oct 5, 2010
Fees

As of right now it's just talk anyway... but I like to know what's in store for me if it ever comes down to the DOING part of it all. I'm not holding my breath by any means. ;) I totally appreciate all the info tho... thanks a gazillion.

If I remember correctly it is a little over $100 for the passport. And depending on how many forms you need to have translated, for example I had to have my son's birth certificate etc. translated for him to go to school here in the DR and I paid $140 but that was an attorney in the capital so that could be why I paid so much and it was around 10-12 documents I had to have translated into Spanish.