Dominican Dating Culture

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
I have always said, you can be of "upper class", best education, job, money but still be a "lowlife" person. Clearly the dating culture has changed since I married many, many years ago. Now there is social media, etc... As AE said many of the "tourists" do not have access to meet the "upper class" so they do not know any better. Just look at some reality TV (90 day fiancé comes to mind). Most are meeting hotel/resort workers.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
The majority of the vacationers that travel to P.C are looking to eat and drink themselves into oblivion. Maybe after attending a wedding, they induce skin cancer for several days followed by mindless slot machine play. The majority are not looking to interact with fellow conventioneers at a trade show or convention. There is no interaction with any Dominican other than when they are getting their glass refilled with cheap liquor or another blob of carbs. So the only person they come in contact with that has an education over the 8th grade is if they have a coronary episode and transported to a hospital. Oh, if it's a bachelor party they will hire some Chicas from S.D, they have 9th grade educations.

nanita

Jul 28, 2014
Regarding the class-shaming that I've read sooooo many times on the board... first of all, the DR is one of those countries where a foreign person almost never REALLY belongs. It's an insular culture, superficially friendly but clannish. There is a lot of solidarity born of mutual hardship, the kind of hardship that YOU as a 'rich gringo' will never experience. Even after Belkis fleeces you, you can scrape up the money for a plane ticket and scurry back to the first world.

Some of the posters have managed to leverage themselves into a social circle one or several steps above the 'tiguere/puta' tier. From on high, they wax lyrical about how different THEIR experience is, knowing the 'right' kind of Dominicans. Remember that chiropractor guy? All he could do was talk about how AMAZING his social life was in the DR. Despite obviously (and desperately) trying to leverage his apparent wealth and education to get a calibre of women who wouldn't give him the time of day in his home country.

All these folks have done is adopt the classism so common in LA countries (this classism is one of the less attractive features of life in LA). I've met super decent Dominicans and Haitians of all social classes, and certainly it's easier in many ways to socialize and deal with upper-class Dominicans. But the class-shaming grinds my gears. The DR is a poor country and gringos coming into the country with no connections are definitely going to be thrown in the lower tier of society, for better or worse.

And in a way, THEY are getting the real DR experience, aren't they?

Reactions: PCMike

keepcoming

May 25, 2011
It brings to mind the saying "what happens on vacation is over at the end of the vacation". Nothing wrong with men/women wanting to have a good time on vacation, to each their own. But many try to make life partners out of the workers (bartenders, entertainment crew, etc..) they meet at the hotel/resort. They do not really see the reality of the situation because they are in "vacation mode" where everything seems wonderful.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I just wanted to mention that I had a couple of upper class 'friends' when I lived in the DR, one of whom carried a last name you'd recognize. These 'friends' were just the same as the lower-class Dominican men I knew. Pushing themselves on me, trying to kiss me out of the blue, demanding nude photos, etc. I could tell you many entertaining stories! ;-) All married or in long-term relationships.

ALL.

They were just a little more smooth and had more money, vehicles, connections, etc. But otherwise, same same. I think it's hilarious when posters class-shame other posters here on the forum. 'You just don't know the right KIND of Dominicans...' Mmmmmmm kay.
Sleezy people can be rich, poor, educated, or not educated.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
"upper crust" meaning education and financial solvency. Few of the tourists that flock to P.C even fit that bill. Of course they are only going to interact with service people. If middle- and upper-class Dominicans are measured by financial solvency, there are plenty of those. If it is to be measured by education, culture and intellectual achievement, not so much.
I think many of these same Dominicans you speqk of are living in the cities working and grinding to get a head in life therefor they've less time to spend in areas where tourist are most likely to spend their vacations.

Reactions: Big

Big

Apr 24, 2019
I think many of these same Dominicans you speqk of are living in the cities working and grinding to get a head in life therefor they've less time to spend in areas where tourist are most likely to spend their vacations.
Exactly, S.D has plenty of businessman that make a handsome living. The hotels that have business centers, convention centers and auditoriums are always crowded.

Reactions: CristoRey

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Regarding the class-shaming that I've read sooooo many times on the board... first of all, the DR is one of those countries where a foreign person almost never REALLY belongs. It's an insular culture, superficially friendly but clannish. There is a lot of solidarity born of mutual hardship, the kind of hardship that YOU as a 'rich gringo' will never experience. Even after Belkis fleeces you, you can scrape up the money for a plane ticket and scurry back to the first world.

Some of the posters have managed to leverage themselves into a social circle one or several steps above the 'tiguere/puta' tier. From on high, they wax lyrical about how different THEIR experience is, knowing the 'right' kind of Dominicans. Remember that chiropractor guy? All he could do was talk about how AMAZING his social life was in the DR. Despite obviously (and desperately) trying to leverage his apparent wealth and education to get a calibre of women who wouldn't give him the time of day in his home country.

All these folks have done is adopt the classism so common in LA countries (this classism is one of the less attractive features of life in LA). I've met super decent Dominicans and Haitians of all social classes, and certainly it's easier in many ways to socialize and deal with upper-class Dominicans. But the class-shaming grinds my gears. The DR is a poor country and gringos coming into the country with no connections are definitely going to be thrown in the lower tier of society, for better or worse.

And in a way, THEY are getting the real DR experience, aren't they?
It's been my experience Dominicans have a lot more respect for foreigners who do not flash their perceived wealth or throw money around like they own the place.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
It's been my experience Dominicans have a lot more respect for foreigners who do not flash their perceived wealth or throw money around like they own the place.

I think Dominicans have respect for foreigners who engage in " regular " dominican daily activities ( ie, who do not flash, do not own the place, like you say ) only because said foreigner does not need to.

It has served me well to do stuff that a tourist/expat would normally not do.
Clean my conuco instead of paying somebody to do it,
Go out and fish shrimps and crabs in the river,
Visit humble people and not balk at a sanitario,
Use public transport ( carro publico, motoconchos, guguas, etc ....) instead of taking my SUV,
etc, etc,......... bear in mind, I do that stuff because I want to, not because I have to.

However I was reminded very recently that wealth--- at least perceived wealth--- counts for A LOT in the Dominican society.
I normally do house-motoconcho-carro publico- POP, and interact with people who I "know" and who " know" me.
On the way back, I decided to take a different liña of carro publico to eliminate the motoconcho ride at the end of the trip, and get the driver to drop me off at my house on his way to destination.

So I was in this carro publico and they were like dr1ers😆😆😆, name dropping on who owned what, whose house couldnt be seen from the road ( the pinacle of society to dominicans 🤔🤔), etc ...... I didnt know the driver or the passengers. ( they are going to another further away from my nearby local village ).
At some point they are talking about a local politician ( who is now a senator ) and how he only got to buy that piece of land because he was politically connected.
I pointed out that it was probably untrue ( I actually know it as a fact, its land adjacent to mine, bought at the same time from the same person ).
Now, I was dressed in scruffy jeans, a T-shirt and jump boots that were fairly dirty. I also had scratches on my face and arms as I was cleaning some land at my place for the past few weeks.

Well, to my surprise, I will admit, the driver and another passenger talked down to me.
" Young one, how could you know " " you dont know how things work here " etc, etc,
I thought about chewing them out there and then, but decided against it.
As we drove through the nearby village ( where i normally take the carro publico to ), I told the driver that when we got to xxxxxxx a few ks away, to drop me off at the first house on the left.
I could see the cogs in his head chug along slowly and painfully....... He asked if was the big white and green house. I said yes.
He and the other passenger who were being high and mighty had a change of mind, and were sorry to have spoken to me like that ( yeah, right ....) .
Bunch of Donkeys.

Nadie21

Jun 3, 2021
Santa Clarita
100% incorrect. I know several (lots) of middle/upper class that travel to Punta Cana yearly, if not a few times a year. I guess you have not checked out some of the "luxury resorts" in the Punta Cana area. Believe me they cater to the middle/upper class more than you think.
Believe me..there are no luxury hotels here that a wealthy person would think of coming to. Say what you will in support of tourism here. You are only fooling yourself. With all the other very beautiful islands that know how to create the “luxury feel” of a real 5 star hotel. There are none here and if you have ever been to a truly starred hotel/resort you know what I am speaking to. If you have not…enjoy your A1 with 1000 others in the pool. Gorgeous beaches here without the attendant gorgeous service, food or accommodations.

• Haha
Reactions: keepcoming

Nadie21

Jun 3, 2021
Santa Clarita
You will keep up your diatribe that DR a poor country. Really..and where do you put the blame on this? Someone is making mucho $$$ but just not being parceled around. That same tired old mantra used only when convenient. Right?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Believe me..there are no luxury hotels here that a wealthy person would think of coming to. Say what you will in support of tourism here. You are only fooling yourself. With all the other very beautiful islands that know how to create the “luxury feel” of a real 5 star hotel. There are none here and if you have ever been to a truly starred hotel/resort you know what I am speaking to. If you have not…enjoy your A1 with 1000 others in the pool. Gorgeous beaches here without the attendant gorgeous service, food or accommodations.
You have NO CLUE what you are talking about. Below is just one of many hotels among the BEST in the World. Starting price at $1,280 per night. Reading up on this one is the ONLY way you will ever see it.................

Reactions: keepcoming

keepcoming

May 25, 2011
It is a shame you do not really know what the DR has to offer those of "wealthy status". I guess it depends on the social circles you associate with. Most wealthy especially those with "old money wealth" do no flaunt their wealth but one only needs to visit places like Casa de Campo, Tortuga Bay, etc.. to see what clientele, they attract. If you truly know those with wealth, then of course you would know this.

Last edited:

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Is that where the Clintons stay ??

Oscar de la Renta lived there.....

Playground for the rich and famous
Yes the Clinton's were there among many other celebrities. But you listen to the clueless there are NO Five Star Hotels here................In a previous post I pointed out Punta Cana Resort. By the way WW in two weeks the PGA tourney will be held right here in PC Resort. For the same price of a cup of coffee at Starbucks you can see some of the top golfers in the World compete close up. And I do mean close up.....................

AlaPlaya

Frequent Flyer
Jan 7, 2021
Texas
You have NO CLUE what you are talking about. Below is just one of many hotels among the BEST in the World. Starting price at $1,280 per night. Reading up on this one is the ONLY way you will ever see it.................

Eden Roc in Cap Cana as well.

Reactions: bob saunders