Dominican Republic: Fearful Haitians Deported or Voluntarily Flee

GWOZOZO

Bronze
Dec 7, 2011
When you see the Israelites and the Arabs getting along then come back
and say this again.

Bad example.

Israelites and Arabs are of the same race and share a religious/linguistic/cultural history.

They should be getting along....they are brothers and cousins.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
This is how I understand it....correct me if I'm wrong. Two Haitians, who have been named, killed an older Dominican couple. They are at large. The Haitian who they killed had the same surname as one of the missing Haitians, so I'm thinking he was somehow related, and the anger was taken out on him and he was killed. Probably not as random as it might appear.

Smart

Bronze
Jun 16, 2012
If that is what happened then why are they all leaving. Would it not make more sense that there must have been some lynchings going on to scare the Haitians like this.

Haitians are pretty tough, and in groups pretty strong, it is a shame they are picked on like they are, being so strong against all they go through to get by they deserve better, from their own government none the less.

Sometimes I try to put myself in a situation or scenario typical of their monthly stresses, and am unable to, I'm pretty lucky to have the stresses I have and not theirs, we really have no rights to bitch about our stressful existence here. No Haitian asked to be born in Haiti.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Bad example.

Israelites and Arabs are of the same race and share a religious/linguistic/cultural history.

They should be getting along....they are brothers and cousins.

Well they don't for the simple reason that one has always wanted to annihilate the other.

A very good example.

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
If that is what happened then why are they all leaving. Would it not make more sense that there must have been some lynchings going on to scare the Haitians like this.

Haitians are pretty tough, and in groups pretty strong, it is a shame they are picked on like they are, being so strong against all they go through to get by they deserve better, from their own government none the less.

Sometimes I try to put myself in a situation or scenario typical of their monthly stresses, and am unable to, I'm pretty lucky to have the stresses I have and not theirs, we really have no rights to bitch about our stressful existence here. No Haitian asked to be born in Haiti.

Then the NGO'S and international communities and the HAITIAN diaspora
need to do find another way to better their country instead of trying to put the
load on an already burdened country. The DR is not the solution to Haiti's
problems.

All these expats that are speaking in favor of Haiti need to seriously consider
moving there so they can help out the Haitian economy.They are in dire need.

Smart

Bronze
Jun 16, 2012
I agree, I think the Haitians need to leave. Doesn't mean they deserve what they have got to live.

delite

Bronze
Oct 17, 2006
If the Dominicans fear this latent Haitian invasion, then why has the Dominican government, for almost a hundred years, imported hundreds of thousands of these people? The average Dominican, lacking basic knowledge, is therefore used as a propaganda tool to further an animosity which has been self created.

Beginning with Trujillo, and pretty much everyone after him, paid the Haitian government to send them workers, almost in servitude(braceros). These people were and are sold like heads of cattle. Probably the poorest of the poor to traverse the eastern side of the island. No documentation is provided by The Haitians, no documentation is required by the Dominican; save the contracted number.

These people perform all tasks, however, they were/are employed on the sugar plantations. There's no agreement as far as tenure of work or other related conditions. The Dominicans, always fearing a Haitian invasion, NEVER ensure that these contracted workers are sent back after a period of time. Later, the Dominicans order more Haitians and this cycle has repeated itself for generations. Who's responsible for this? Intelligent people know where to lay the blame.

In addition to contracted workers, the border region defenses are porous. I believe that there's around four thousand soldiers manning the entire border. Again, if the Dominicans are scared of a Haitian invasion, they can double or even triple the amount of soldiers; especially since Haiti doesn't have a standing army.

Said soldiers, due to their paltry income, often substitute or augment their salary by accepting bribes. Yes, the officials responsible for the defense of the country, themselves are allowing the invading Haitians to occupy their land. To add more insult, there's a bilateral market at three locations available twice a week which is another source of ingress for the invading Haitians.

The politicians have their SUVs and their American style salaries, while the poor soldiers in income and manpower are tasked to secure the border.

The average Dominican, easily manipulated, only thinks in terms of invasion and historical occurrences. He doesn't understand that illegal Haitians aren't affected by the latest ruling by the TC. Only those dominico-haitiana are. The ones who came generations ago under governmental contracts and who have planted themselves in the Dominican culture for almost a hundred years.

I would like all illegals to be returned ASAP! I, however, cannot support repealing citizenship from children born to "in transit" parents for that length of time. Call me a Haitian lover, like the rest of the international community who are in opposition to this egregious decree.

I must add that many Dominicans are against this verdict! They're being chastised as traitors to the mother land by ill informed individuals. I stand in good company because even the great Juan Pablo Duarte was called a traitor. :)

Last edited:

delite

Bronze
Oct 17, 2006
This is how I understand it....correct me if I'm wrong. Two Haitians, who have been named, killed an older Dominican couple. They are at large. The Haitian who they killed had the same surname as one of the missing Haitians, so I'm thinking he was somehow related, and the anger was taken out on him and he was killed. Probably not as random as it might appear.

AE,

I believe it was a random killing because, according to news sources, the two rabid murderers were seen descending the hills earlier in the day. The people who sought refuge at the police outpost were obviously scared of reprisals. I read where a Dominican ( of darker hue) boy barely escaped the multitude who thought he was Haitian. :)

GWOZOZO

Bronze
Dec 7, 2011
Well they don't for the simple reason that one has always wanted to annihilate the other.

A very good example.

Nice try but no cookies.

Which side TODAY is advocating the annilation of the other......on this island???????

israelis and arabs have a land dispute....but are still family.

Haiti and DR are natural enemies with an innate dislike of each other.

The solution is for DR to give up its economic/trade interest in Haiti...and for Haiti to keep its people home.

And that starts with a complete sealing of the border.

GWOZOZO

Bronze
Dec 7, 2011
Then the NGO'S and international communities and the HAITIAN diaspora
need to do find another way to better their country instead of trying to put the
load on an already burdened country. The DR is not the solution to Haiti's
problems.

I will back you up 100% if you agree that DR needs to sever economic ties with Haiti.

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
Nice try but no cookies.

Which side TODAY is advocating the annilation of the other......on this island???????

israelis and arabs have a land dispute....but are still family.

Haiti and DR are natural enemies with an innate dislike of each other.

The solution is for DR to give up its economic/trade interest in Haiti...and for Haiti to keep its people home.

And that starts with a complete sealing of the border.

There doesn't have to be any advocating to know what can eventually happen by the
merging of two cultures.

Yes, I do agree with what you've said the two countries are natural enemies
and dislike each other because of a violent history which equals distrust.

The current situation is a recipe for disaster. The constant meddling into DR
affairs.

Hopefully this situation will force both countries to seek economic/trade interests
some place else.

The border issue is being taken care of.

Last edited:

delite

Bronze
Oct 17, 2006
Haiti has broken the agreement that it signed with the DR about a week ago. This means that further talks scheduled in Venezuela on the 30 of this month has been cancelled. I say today, what I've always said, this decree by the TC was "boneheaded" and the consequences remains to be seen. Danilo Medina has been given a check that he cannot cash. The powers that be have orchestrated a plan with ulterior motives. :)

Hait? rompe acuerdo; Rep?blica Dominicana no acudir? a reuni?n en Venezuela - Diario Libre Movil

GWOZOZO

Bronze
Dec 7, 2011
There doesn't have to be any advocating to know what can eventually happen by the
merging of two cultures.

Yes, I do agree with what you've said the two countries are natural enemies
and dislike each other because of a violent history which equals distrust.

The current situation is a recipe for disaster. The constant meddling into DR
affairs.

Hopefully this situation will force both countries to seek economic/trade interests
some place else.

The border issue is being taken care of.

1. Who is advocating/proposing merging of two cultures???? As for merging of two cultures...what can happen??? Are not most caribbean cultures the result of cultural mixtures.

2. As for Haiti/DR merging....only people on the edge of lunacy are worried about such nonsense.

3. The dislike is not because of violent history....many countries have violent histories but are now friends. It is something deeper...almost innate.

4. haiti has no trade interests in DR...It is DR that has interests and sells stuff to haiti.

5. The border issue is not being taken care of. People and goods are still crossing and there is no concrete plan to reduce the flow and no time table.

That is why i like the recent events of the dominican populace taking action......this might force the haitians to take action on the trade/dumping issue....even if only for political reasons.

GWOZOZO

Bronze
Dec 7, 2011
Haiti has broken the agreement that it signed with the DR about a week ago. This means that further talks scheduled in Venezuela on the 30 of this month has been cancelled. I say today, what I've always said, this decree by the TC was "boneheaded" and the consequences remains to be seen. Danilo Medina has been given a check that he cannot cash. The powers that be have orchestrated a plan with ulterior motives. :)

Hait? rompe acuerdo; Rep?blica Dominicana no acudir? a reuni?n en Venezuela - Diario Libre Movil

This is GREAT News.

A dominican court has spoken and the international needs to respect that and leave DR alone.

The ball is in haiti's court....let's see what it can do....lol

Smart

Bronze
Jun 16, 2012
I agree that it is not about a violent history. Most younger people I speak to do not seem to know why when asked, infact ask a youth and see the vacant look of ponder cross his face as he for the first time contemplates the reason why he hates. They hate because dad and grandad do, because everyone else does, there seems to be little thought, it is just expected and just is.
It makes me wonder. I've come across racism before on an educated (I say that but...) level, but never like it is here.

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
1. Who is advocating/proposing merging of two cultures???? As for merging of two cultures...what can happen??? Are not most caribbean cultures the result of cultural mixtures.

2. As for Haiti/DR merging....only people on the edge of lunacy are worried about such nonsense.

3. The dislike is not because of violent history....many countries have violent histories but are now friends. It is something deeper...almost innate.

4. haiti has no trade interests in DR...It is DR that has interests and sells stuff to haiti.

5. The border issue is not being taken care of. People and goods are still crossing and there is no concrete plan to reduce the flow and no time table.

That is why i like the recent events of the dominican populace taking action......this might force the haitians to take action on the trade/dumping issue....even if only for political reasons.

And thus the reason why Dominicans and Haitians do not get along. We will never see eye to eye.
Each have their own reasons and thus sees the others reasoning as lunacy.

Officials are seeing to it, border issues whether you don't see it as such. It will be taken care of.

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
I agree that it is not about a violent history. Most younger people I speak to do not seem to know why when asked, infact ask a youth and see the vacant look of ponder cross his face as he for the first time contemplates the reason why he hates. They hate because dad and grandad do, because everyone else does, there seems to be little thought, it is just expected and just is.
It makes me wonder. I've come across racism before on an educated level, but never like it is here.

What? Are you serious? Are you from the US? There are places in the US where a black person
cannot walk through or decide to live or they are killed.

The "racism" in the DR is tame compared to other places.

delite

Bronze
Oct 17, 2006
This is GREAT News.

A dominican court has spoken and the international needs to respect that and leave DR alone.

The ball is in haiti's court....let's see what it can do....lol

The international community doesn't function in the manner you wish. For example, Caricom listened to both sides and ruled against the TC, hence the Dominicans. If you want to be a member of an organization, there are rules and regulations to adhere. There's a reason why there are blue helmets in your country and a plethora of NGOs.

We exist in a community and not as an island. You seek to sever ties with the DR, I get that from the inception. You cannot survive as a single entity, as your history has shown. You were castigated for years while other countries had relations. Today, your present condition reflects past abandonment.

If you seek other sources for economic ties, you would have to abide by established rules; beneficial to you of course. In closing, as a member of a world community, it's justified for others to take actions, whether positive or negative pertaining to an internal decree. :)

Smart

Bronze
Jun 16, 2012
What? Are you serious? Are you from the US? There are places in the US where a black person
cannot walk through or decide to live or they are killed.

The "racism" in the DR is tame compared to other places.

I do not understand what you are talking about. Please explain your (what seems like an) outburst about my post.

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
I do not understand what you are talking about. Please explain your (what seems like an) outburst about my post.

It's no out burst Smart. Read your post again and then read mine again. I just made a comparison.