Dominican Republic in the London Olympics

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
:( Unfortunately, I am dumber than a rock! I knew what to do and did not do it. Training and training for decades and I did not take care of myself. Now I have three or four weeks of rehab!

A week ago I stumbled and thought that I had a muscle cramp in by calf. HAHA...so I took some diclofenol and felt better. No ice no nothing...stupid!

It did not get better. So today I went to see my orthopedist...."Pulled Achilles Tendon!, not at the heel but up in the calf where it starts." D@mn. I should have put ice on it for a few days, but no, I let it swell up like a watermelon..GRRrrrrr!!

Be well all,,,,

HB

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
:( Unfortunately, I am dumber than a rock! I knew what to do and did not do it. Training and training for decades and I did not take care of myself. Now I have three or four weeks of rehab!

A week ago I stumbled and thought that I had a muscle cramp in by calf. HAHA...so I took some diclofenol and felt better. No ice no nothing...stupid!

It did not get better. So today I went to see my orthopedist...."Pulled Achilles Tendon!, not at the heel but up in the calf where it starts." D@mn. I should have put ice on it for a few days, but no, I let it swell up like a watermelon..GRRrrrrr!!

Be well all,,,,

HB

Damn, feel better HB. :)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
get better, HB! i hope squeezing into my rubik cube car and suffering my driving did not make matters worse!

Dominicaus

Oct 4, 2006
Yamilet studies accounting at UTESA (not UASD)

DV8: Don't believe that she is really studying. No Olympic level athlete can pursue an academic degree while preparing for their sport. It just does not happen! However, the UASD is the UASD and you can be a student there for 40 years without graduating. Or spend 15 years there doing politics like Medina did without graduating!
FWIW, she is studying at UTESA (a private university), not UASD...Granted, UTESA is not exactly the highest regarded university in the DR, but it is not the UASD...at least people do have to pay significant money for their education there...maybe Yamilet has some sort of scholarship, but it has never been mentioned in any article I have read...anyhow...if you listen to her speak (in Spanish) you get the impression that she is indeed an educated, very articulate person...don't know her personally though...
D.
Gimnasta Yamilet Pe?a sue?a ganar una medalla ol?mpica - listindiario.com

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I went with information in another post. Guess I should have checked. However, it is six of one and half a dozen of the other. If you listen to the comments on NBC or Coral, you note that any athlete has to spend 6 to 8 hours a day in their sport...so much for time to study..

But, it is good to know that she is attempting to get a degree...so many want to live off of the traveling and the per diems and the sponsorships...

HB

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
it was my fault, i did not remember which uni she went to, was pretty sure UASD since i knew she did not have much time. training is like having a full time job...

Dominicaus

Oct 4, 2006
it was my fault, i did not remember which uni she went to, was pretty sure UASD since i knew she did not have much time. training is like having a full time job...
I have no idea how she does it...perhaps she doesn't take a full load of courses (part-time study)...quite a few students do a have full-time jobs, though, and somehow manage...so, if training is like a FT job to her, she wouldn't necessarily be at a great disadvantage vs quite a few of her fellow students...now travelling overseas for competitions is a different matter, although I heard she doesn't travel as much as they would like because of costs...
FWIW, in the US it is fairly normal for high-performance athletes to attend universities, when they are in that age group...some of course don't do much study work, but others do...it depends on the uni, mostly...Those at places like Stanford, Northwestern, and the Ivies and perhaps some good public universities are "true" students and athletes and do have to face the rigour of studying in a solid university while competing at a high athletic level.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Dominican women's volleyball team can still advance

The Dominican Republic women's volleyball team (ranked 11th in the world by FIVB) lost to Japan (ranked 4th) today, Wednesday 1 August 25-20, 25-19 and 25-23 at the London Olympics. Previously, the Dominican team has lost to Italy (ranked 5th) and Russia (9th), but in both cases was able to win one set, showing why it qualified for the Olympics. Even after the loss to Japan, the Dominican team has a chance of making it to the second round if it defeats Great Britain (69th) and Algeria (16th) in its final two games in the first round.
In points, the DR is tied with Algeria (at 0.222 on 2 August), that has already defeated Great Britain, the weakest team. The DR has a chance to advance because the first four teams of each round move. The DR plays Great Britain on Friday, 3 August at 16:45pm and Algeria on 5 August at 9:30.
The top four teams in each of the two six-team groups advance to the quarterfinal round.

Last edited:

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Dominican schedule in the Olympics still to go is...

Boxing: Wellington Arias (lightweight) will match Vasyl Lomachenko (Ukraine) on Thu 2 Aug at 1:30pm.

Track and field events:

Raysa Sanchez (400 m) on 3 August.

Winder Cuevas and first Dominican Olympic gold medal winner, Felix Sanchez will compete in 400m hurdles on 3-4 August. This is Felix Sanchez's fourth Olympics. His first was in Sydney 2000, then Athens 2004, where he won the Dominican Republic's first gold medal ever, and then in Beijing 2008.

Luguelin Santos (400m) is the man to watch for a medal in the London Olympics given his outstanding performances leading up to the event. He will compete in heats as of 4 August, with finals on Monday, 6 August.

Shooting: Sergio Pinero (trap), Sun 5 Aug at 9am

Yamilet Pena in artistic gymnastics, Sunday, 5 August finals in vault.

Ildette Lavonne (100 m hurdles) on 6 August.
Marielis Sanchez (200 m) on 6 August.
400 m run finals, possible chance of Luguelin Santos at a medal on 6 August.

Carlos Jorge competes in (200m) on 7 August.

Yuli Gabriel Mercedes is the Dominican flag-bearer at the London Olympics. He competed in the Beijing Olympics and lost the gold to the Mexican athlete in a controversial judge decision. In taekwondo he competes in 58 kg division. ExCel venue hosts the taekwondo competitions at the London Olympics. Mercedes will compete as of 9:15am on 8 August.

The 4 x 400 relay will be run by foursome made up of Felix Sanchez, Luguelin Santos, Gustavo Cuesta, Arismendy Peguero, John Soriano and Joel Mejia (4 x 400 m relay) on 9 August with finals on 10 August.

Last edited:

Dominicaus

Oct 4, 2006

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
You are so right. Corrected the mentions. I always remember Felix Sanchez for his perseverance. He once gave the advice: It doesn't matter how many times you fall, what is important is how many times you get up!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Watching Felix in Athens was one of the best Olympic moments, together with Pedro Julio Nolasco winning the first ever medal in boxing.
There is so much potential here it isn't funny. Plus what the diaspora can contribute, the DR could become a powerhouse to rival Cuba in three or four years. But too much politics involved.

HB

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
t7lend.png

Dominican women volleyball vs. Great Britain women
This should get a lot of press attention in the UK because the Great Britain women have shown a lot of heart to build their team. They are ranked 69th in the world, so this should be a game the DR wins. The DR is ranked 11th. See this story the Washington Post featured on the Great Britain team and their upcoming match against the Dominican Republic.
Plucky Great Britain team overcomes government funding cuts, aims for quarterfinals - The Washington Post
http://www.london2012.com/volleyball/event/women/match=vow400a11/index.html?v=20120803-143250637

If anyone finds a video of this game, please post.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Running in the 400 meters hurdles, Winder Cuevas in the London Olympics finished 6th in his heat with a time of 50.15.

kb4th5.png

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Running in another heat of the 400 meters hurdles, the Dominican Republic's first gold medal winner, Felix Sanchez was first in his heat with 49.24, enough to qualify for the next round of semi-final competition.

3129to4.png

See finish photo and stories in British media:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ol...dles-semi-finals-at-London-2012-Olympics.html
http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/370065/20120803/dai-greene-jack-green-rhys-williams-400m.htm

His next run is tomorrow, 4 August at 7pm, UK time.
212srr7.png

Note he will be competing in the same heat as world champion and home favorite David Greene.

Last edited:

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Dominicans crush Great Britain in women's volleyball
Ranked 11th in the world, the Dominican Republic's women's volleyball team showed their stuff facing the Great Britain host team 3-0 in volleyball at the Earls Court in the London Olympics. The first game just lasted 20 mins and ended 9-25. The second game went 18-25 and the third 19-25. Best players for the Dominican Republic were Bethania de la Cruz, 12, Prisilla Rivera, 10, team captain Milagros Cabral 9 and Annery Vargas, 8. Lynne Beattie for Great Britain made 11 points. The Dominican Republic now needs to face Algeria at 9:30am London time on Sunday, 5 August. A victory against Algeria, ranked 16th in the world, and the team will move to the second round of eight competitors.
For the game stats, see http://www.fivb.org/vis_web/volley/WOG2012/pdf/P2-022.pdf
For British press report on the game, see:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/ol...ose-Dominican-Republic.html?ito=feeds-newsxml
9a01gg.png

Last edited: