Dominican Republic in the London Olympics

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Yulis Gabriel Mercedes is competing in the 2012 London Olympics tomorrow at 10:15 London time in the preliminary round. He goes against Tameem Mohammed Ahmed Al-Kubati of Yemen in the 58 Kg division. He seeks to win a medal in the Games. He won the gold Medal in the 2011 Pan American Games and has announced his plan to retire from sports after the London Olympics.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Thank you for the correction!

The DR just lost 3-0 to the US, but it was a battle fought. The DR lost 25-14, 25-21 and 25-22.

See http://www.london2012.com/volleyball/event/women/match=vow400304/index.html?v=20120807-204144679

It was a great game and the crowd obviously enjoyed. The clapping and cheering at the end indicated they would like to have at least one more game.

The Dominican team got off to a slow start in the first game but played almost even after that, but they were about 10 points down when they started to roll.

I don't think there is much difference in the natural ability of the players of the 2 teams, but the Dominican team is behind a bit in technique, etc. They lost, but especially in the last game they had a very good shot at winning that one.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
The NBC commentators noted that the crowd was behind the Dominican team with their cheering at every point.

They agreed with you - the crowd wanted more games between the two countries...

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
maybe, but I think he meant they wanted the DR to play at least one more game...that is, to win, stay alive and advance to the semis...

No, the NBC announcer said they wanted more games between the two teams playing today. The crowd was clearly enjoying the games between two good teams.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Yulis Gabriel Mercedes lost in his first fight against a fighter from Yemen. He was the favorite to win, and even a candidate for a medal. Haven't found details on the fight yet.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
leading 3-1 he suffered a serious injury to his leg and fought on but could not move or fight. As I watched the fight, it was clear that he could not even defend himself...he lost 8-3 and was taken to the hospital for a MRI on the knee...sad, but I had the same thing happen (knee) training for the 74 Games...comes out of the blue...something gives...I am betting that his career is over.

If he was a ball player (foot,basket or base) and making millions, he would have it rebuilt.

HB

Dominicaus

Oct 4, 2006
4x400 relay team needs VAST improvement

Yes!

We know Felix Sanchez and Luguelin Santos are on the relay for the Dominican Republic. The other two will be chosen from:
Gustavo Cuesta, Arismendy Peguero, John Soriano and Joel Mejia (4 x 400 m relay).

Just looking at the "season best" (SB) times for the participating teams, it seems the DR would need a VAST improvement to even reach the final...let alone win any medal.

...it seems the DR's SB time is about 3:03...and there are lots of teams (about 10 out of 18) with SB times below 3:02...in fact several are about the 3:00 mark...so they basically would need to reduce their time by about 3 seconds to be in contention for a medal (assuming most of the others do about their SB times)...technically possible, but extremely unlikely...but let us see...I think these are the last DR athletes competing in any event.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
DR was disqualified.

The runners were Gustavo Cuesta, Felix Sanchez, Joel Mejia and Luguelin Santos.

"The Dominican Republic were also disqualified for a relay takeover outside the takeover zone during their second changeover and later had an appeal rejected."
Jamaica crash out in 4x400m relay - chicagotribune.com

From what I am reading the DR relay team made the time, but the team was eventually disqualified with the Venezuela relay taking its place.
http://www.listin.com.do/el-deporte...ificaday-Venezuela-avanza-en-4x400-en-Londres
http://www.hoy.com.do/cobertura-esp...antos-se-defienden-ante-descalificacion-en-la

Last edited: