Dominican Republic Wedding Traditions

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Thanks Rocky.

But are there any traditions that only pertain to Dominican weddings? Things that we don't normally do in North American weddings? Or is it pretty much the same?
They sign legal documents during the ceremony.

May 31, 2005
2. The guy who gives the woman away (padrino) and the best woman (madrina) are supposed to pay for loads of stuff - so many refuse the honour when asked.

My experience with this has been that the madrina pays for the cake and the padrino pays for the drinks.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I think one of them is supposed to pay for the honeymoon too! I knew someone was supposed to pay for something. Neither of mine paid for anything, but my padrino bought me a microwave and my (his) madrina, my best mate from England, dragged my husband to be away from setting up the wedding to change into his suit to be ready for the wedding.

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
My husband (Dominican) and I (Canadian) got married in his town just outside of POP. I can't think of any major differences to weddings in Canada other than we did tons of pictures with the cake (which of course was huge and very decorated with flowers, etc.) but we did not serve the cake at the reception as my husband's family said the tradition was to serve it the next day at the house so that the guests come by the day after the wedding to visit and that is when we thank everyone for coming and we serve them cake in gratitude. It was nice to see everyone again and something different that I enjoyed since I didn't get a chance to see or talk to everyone at the wedding. As others have mentioned - we had no RSVP and there were lots of townsfolk who were not invited to who stood at the door and watched the whole thing and wanted to come in and eat and drink. Also, we ate very late as I was told everyone would leave once we ate and all the alcohol was gone - which they did! Too funny. One other thing we had that was a bit different was before dinner we had little plates of pastellitos served to the guests but I guess this is like an appetizer.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i have been to two weddings here. both had one thing in common, everyone was late including the groom - whom we picked up at 7:05 for his 7pm wedding - his sister just washed her hair so she showed up more or less at the time when the could exchanged vows.
wedding #1 was extremely lavish and expensive with ruby perez singing for the guests. asked for whiskey waiter brought me a glass FULL to the brim. huge screen showing pics from bride and grooms life was on all the time. i did not even eat as i just came from europe a day before and i was jet lagged, i left after midnight and no food in sight.
wedding #2 - great fun in the church when the priest exclaimed: "the groom could have found a prettier girl but he chose this one" - hilarious.
yes to huge, heavily decorated cake, i understand most of it is actually fake (sometimes all). i have also been told that serving a cake = "go home". under all decorations and flowers the cake is still this this typical horribly sweet dominican production. maybe it's a part of the tradition because minovio's mum almost had a heart attack when i said my cake will be european-style. oh, well...

Norma Rosa

Bronze
Feb 20, 2007
I was a "madrina" at the wedding of a cousin (en el campo).
A judge came to the home of the bride to perform the civil ceremony.

I paid for the bride's dress and the cake. The Godfather paid for the drinks.

The cake: This cake was beautiful and delicious. The frosting was made from egg whites. The entire top layer was given to me to take home - I was told that that portion of the cake always belongs to the madrina.

lexi

Bronze
Jan 23, 2007
These are great stories! There is always something funny happening at weddings!

engels64

Feb 27, 2007
My Wedding

I am getting married this coming February in NYC, I want to say that 75% of the guests are Dominicans. My fiance and I don't know what to do with the RSVP, We are trying to keep it small but I know that a lot of my family will get offended because:

1. It will be an adult reception (There is no way I'm paying for "carajitos" to be running around like wild animals)
2. We are also limiting the number of people by including the names of all invited individuals in the RSVP Card (is this of bad taste???)
3. We are also letting it be known by word of mouth that uninvited guests are not welcome.

Are there any Dominican traditions to include in the ceremony???

asp44

Jan 22, 2008
Could anyone advise on any Dominican Republic wedding traditions. I would like to incorprate some into my wedding so that all my guests feel there traditions have been included. Things for the ceremony and reception would be welcome.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
One tradition is that if you invite one Dominican he brings his whole family with him. Over here the families are very large. Be prepared.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
One more thing. If the wedding is scheduled at 7PM do not even show up until 10pm with the bride. The ceremony should be about 11 or 12.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Go to link right here from DR1. Hopefully it might be helpful especially our own Matilda's top 9...she should know, she is married to a Dominican.

1. Groom has a best woman not a best man.
2. The guy who gives the woman away (padrino) and the best woman (madrina) are supposed to pay for loads of stuff - so many refuse the honour when asked.
3. As said the cake is very important and usually collapses!
4. The groom is supposed to take the womans garter off with his teeth
5. The bride only throws one flower from her bouquet. (I threw all of mine and a massive cat fight ensued ripping the bouquet to pieces!)
6. You eat very late as Dominicans all leave once they have eaten!
7. Most weddings are around 5pm - in the uk I can't remember but I think the latest time is 3pm, in case it is dark and you marry the wrong man! Goes back to when there was no electricity.
8. You have to have a guard on the wedding presents here in case they 'walk'
9. A lot of those invited don't turn up, and a lot whop were not invited do turn up. No RSVP!!

Matilda

Dominican Wedding Traditions - DR1 Dominican Republic Forums

RGVgal

Bronze
May 26, 2008
I went to a wedding in Santo Domingo at the Hotel Embajador and two Dominicans got married and it was just like an American wedding. Only difference was that the cake that was on the cake table for pics was not real. I wonder why we dominicans do that?

asp44

Jan 22, 2008
thanks everyone, great advice, made me chuckle a little, got a better idea now, thanks again. Happy about only having to throw one flower, as I'm wanting to keep my bouquet.

Windeguy, thanks, honesty was what I was after, I like a little humour too so no worries.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Thanks for finding the link Anna, I was about to write them out all over again!!!

Matilda

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
One tradition is that if you invite one Dominican he brings his whole family with him. Over here the families are very large. Be prepared.

That's so true, if you are having a wedding, birthday party or funeral you can save the money on invitation card, because the neighbors and the whole community where you live assume that they're invited and show up without invitation.

So prepare a buffet for 500 or more guest.

sylindr

Nov 29, 2007
My Wedding

My future sister in law who is dominican has told me to address each invitation to each specific person (not by family) and that the invitation MUST be presented at the door. She says this will ensure we only have the people invited. My fiance's family has also suggested someone at the door to make sure, at least until after dinner, we are also only supply alcohol for 2 hours and then everyone must pay. We think a lot will leave but are not too worried as the people we really are close to plan to stay for a long time and party....lol

I guess time will tell if her solution will work. I hope so

sylindr

Nov 29, 2007
Dont know or care really, if his family is alright with it so am I. I am Canadian and we normally just have a cash bar but my fiance wanted to buy some of the drinks for his family but We don't have the money to feed half the town, nor do we care to get them all drunk for 12 hours so this was our solution. Our closest friends and family are fine and that is all we worry about.