Dominican Republic Wedding Traditions

sylindr

Nov 29, 2007
We are putting wine on the tables for the toast. We will supply beer (until it runs out) My family has said they don't want free anything so the dominican families can drink a little more....and we will supply rum bottles for their tables...it is at a dominican restaurant so I don't think anyone will be going home without enough to drink and the prices are dominican for people who choose to stay after we run out. Just wanted to limit our cost....not a fan of paying for everyone to get stupid drunk!

It was our way of compromising as a lot of his family could not afford a night out, so they will be able to have a few drinks and a wonderful traditional dinner. Don't really think it is all that bad but of course on this site there is always someone waiting to pounce on these things!

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Don't really think it is all that bad but of course on this site there is always someone waiting to pounce on these things!

Don't worry about that. People have the right to orchestrate these functions as they wish.

Would it be so bad for once to let people know that crashing a party is bad manners? I don't think so...

sylindr

Nov 29, 2007
lol....thanks for that. I am happy as long as my family and fiance are happy. thanks for the words of encouragement

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
eat fast they have been known to make short work of those buffets,wiped my friends out in about 15 min,nothing left !

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
1. When leaving church or city hall, everyone with a car at he ceremony form a line and start beeping until they arrive at the reception.
2. Some wedding have a liter of black label on each table and the usual quipes and patelitos.
3. Lots of children running around.
4. You hardly see any elder (su carnaval ya paso, their time had passed)
5. Banging of the glass wine to prompt the newly wed to kiss (I seen at Dominican wedding in the states).
6. Lots of dancing. The girls flirting with the groom.
7. Some have mariachi and fireworks.

solamentetu

Oct 21, 2004
My parents' wedding (in the DR) was pretty large, and done in much the same way American weddings are done (my mother even threw her entire bouquet). For reference, they got married in the 1980s. They had about nine bridesmaids and nine groomsmen- and every one of them was either a sibling or a cousin. My mother is also very much into old-time traditions, so she only wanted virgin bridesmaids! One problem they found was that people who did not show up to the wedding *and* were not invited, showed up to the reception. Fortunately, they had a guard at the door checking all invitations.

The only kids they had at the wedding were a few young relatives- a niece, the flower-girl, the ring-boy. They made sure to address the invitations appropriately.

My uncle's wedding was a lot more out of control and much cheaper as well. My parents paid for this wedding, so they wanted it to be at a large church with a large reception hall (because they anticipated a large turnout), but what was supposed to be a family affair turned out being something for every acquaintance ever... and it was just a humongous disaster. The newlyweds did not want a large affair, because they didn't want to attract attention and felt guilty..

Another thing- his wife also threw the entire bouquet!