Dominicans Abandoning Washington Heights

Sep 4, 2012
Jamaica queens is a dump. I would live there in a heartbeat. 

Am sure you would. Your pick, your choice, your decision. Its a dump!

BTW and to answer to the OP, what's happening with Washington Heights now did happened to Jamaica Queens in the 40's and 50's, demographic changed and so did living conditions and the place.

Last edited:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
this stuff happens all the time...

parents do well , over educate their children and those children move on.

I used to buy great little businesses from 70 yr old 'Mom & Pop's'...

kids were lawyers , doctors, etc.
Education all paid for by that little business...

but the kids didn't want it ....

Those elder parents were happy to see me come along and take it off their hands.

Really good little businesses you rarely see any more

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
WH is "old school" like my son tells me (foreign slang to me). Dominicans ( in NY) have branched out to LI and the "burbs". Many are looking for a better way of life away from the stereo-typical Dominican life in the US. Instead of NY or the East Coast many are settling West, away from popular Dominican areas.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
WH is "old school" like my son tells me (foreign slang to me). Dominicans ( in NY) have branched out to LI and the "burbs". Many are looking for a better way of life away from the stereo-typical Dominican life in the US. Instead of NY or the East Coast many are settling West, away from popular Dominican areas.

Roosevelt and Hempstead are just as old school as Manhattan. when i hear that Dominicans are moving into Bedford Hills, and Shrub Oak, then i will pay attention. after all, that is where the Haitians are...

Apr 7, 2014
Am sure you would. Your pick, your choice, your decision. Its a dump!

BTW and to answer to the OP, what's happening with Washington Heights now did happened to Jamaica Queens in the 40's and 50's, demographic changed and so did living conditions and the place.
Nope. You are wrong. Come down off your pedestal.

Sent from my Z833 using Tapatalk

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
this stuff happens all the time...

parents do well , over educate their children and those children move on.

I used to buy great little businesses from 70 yr old 'Mom & Pop's'...

kids were lawyers , doctors, etc.
Education all paid for by that little business...

but the kids didn't want it ....

Those elder parents were happy to see me come along and take it off their hands.

Really good little businesses you rarely see any more

INRead  article about a decade ago regarding the generational shift among Korean bodega owners.  You know, the really. Ice bodegas that had good Korean salad bar type food.  Up and down manhattan.  Well, they educated their kids who didn’t want to work in a bodega.  Supposedly they’re just about all gone.  The one I went to in wash heights is gone.  Loved the fried fish.  

Things change. I’ve been in Boston long enough to see the demographic shifts.  

A neighborhood called mattapan square.  In the 80’s there were the last vestiges of a once vibrant Jewish community.  By that time it was almost exclusively African american. then the Haitians  started moving in. Sort of an enclave.  Kreyol is the language I hear most at the grocery store among the customers. 

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Exactly --
very natural progression of events in an immigrant's life or for an upwardly mobile family of any origin

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
This is happening all over NYC.  The area of Bushwick (Brooklyn) where my grandmother lived was all Italians back in the day.  They had to literally build their own church (St Joseph Patron) because the German church wouldn’t let them worship there ( how Christian).  By around 1990, Dominicans were moving in in larger and larger numbers.  The corner candy stores and butchers became Dominican bodegas.  The tide changed.  Grandma’s railroad apartment now rents for several thousand a month (she paid $110). Gentrification has taken hold.  

Yes, many Dominicans have moved to Long Island, but many have not totally assimilated.  They’ve congregated in places like Freeport and Uniondale, both of which were always home to minorities (at least since 50s-60s, don’t know about before then). 

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
This is happening all over NYC.  The area of Bushwick (Brooklyn) where my grandmother lived was all Italians back in the day.  They had to literally build their own church (St Joseph Patron) because the German church wouldn’t let them worship there ( how Christian).  By around 1990, Dominicans were moving in in larger and larger numbers.  The corner candy stores and butchers became Dominican bodegas.  The tide changed.  Grandma’s railroad apartment now rents for several thousand a month (she paid $110). Gentrification has taken hold.  

Yes, many Dominicans have moved to Long Island, but many have not totally assimilated.  They’ve congregated in places like Freeport and Uniondale, both of which were always home to minorities (at least since 50s-60s, don’t know about before then). 

actually, the Puerto Ricans moved into Bushwick before the Dominicans. that whole area by Cypress, and Metropolitan, and heading towards Greenpoint and Williamsburg was all PR.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
DOMs and Bori’s gomtogether like coffee and cream. Like the Italian and Irish in Boston. Cuz they were Catholic they went to the same churches and married each other. 

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
It is nice to see that many Dominicans are moving to cities other than NY, BOS or PHL, etc... I can remember some years ago going to WH with my spouse and everyone knew everyone. There are some Dominicans who still want those familiar surroundings such as WH. But more and more I hear many who want to get away from the East Coast. I do not think it is about moving to affluent areas. Many are more open to new areas/cities and different opportunities.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
It is nice to see that many Dominicans are moving to cities other than NY, BOS or PHL, etc... I can remember some years ago going to WH with my spouse and everyone knew everyone. There are some Dominicans who still want those familiar surroundings such as WH. But more and more I hear many who want to get away from the East Coast. I do not think it is about moving to affluent areas. Many are more open to new areas/cities and different opportunities.

I agree.  I can only speak about Mr AE’s family, none of them are in New York or Mass anymore.   Those who didn’t return to DR now live in Las Vegas, Maryland, Florida.  One branch moved to San Juan, Puerto Rico and have good lives there. The Vegas and MD cousins live especially well, they all left Queens decades ago.  Only his sister stayed in the ghettoes of NE Philly after leaving WH.  

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
Tampa, where I'm working now, has a large Dominican population. Some Cubans and some Puerto Ricans, but it's dominated by Dominicans. I think there's a separate population of Spanish speaking Central Americans as they have a radio station, but I still don't know what neighborhoods they live in.

And, there are pockets of Haitians who are a very peaceful, quiet group although they all drive around in highly buffed Mercedes and BMW's with loads of kids. I guess we know where the country's wealth went.

And, to use the popular vernacular, there are lots of areas of NYC metro area that are indeed $hitholes. I don't understand why people don't just get an Amtrack or bus ticket and move out.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Tampa, where I'm working now, has a large Dominican population. Some Cubans and some Puerto Ricans, but it's dominated by Dominicans. I think there's a separate population of Spanish speaking Central Americans as they have a radio station, but I still don't know what neighborhoods they live in.

And, there are pockets of Haitians who are a very peaceful, quiet group although they all drive around in highly buffed Mercedes and BMW's with loads of kids. I guess we know where the country's wealth went.

i noted your last sentence. you have a point there.

i remember when i used to make it a point of duty to go to car races at the Las Americas Autodrome. all the wealthy Dominicans, with surnames like Abreu and LLibre, would bring the latest and costliest of race cars to the event...wealth on display.

then there were the Haitians. where the Dominicans brought one car, and some spares, the guys from Haiti brought a car, and 2 spare cars.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004

And, to use the popular vernacular, there are lots of areas of NYC metro area that are indeed $hitholes. I don't understand why people don't just get an Amtrack or bus ticket and move out.
I'm a Tampa boy. What part of town is your residence? I lived in Old Carrollwood.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Weren't you also in Jax or is that somebody else?

I'm currently in Brandon which is just comfortable suburban living. (I hate it :).
That was somebody else in Jax.

I remember Brandon when it was just rednecks and goat ropers.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
That was somebody else in Jax.

I remember Brandon when it was just rednecks and goat ropers.

The rednecks upgraded to huge, turbo Diesel pickup trucks with large off road tires, and 4 bedroom 3.5 bath homes with marble counter tops.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
The rednecks upgraded to huge, turbo Diesel pickup trucks with large off road tires, and 4 bedroom 3.5 bath homes with marble counter tops.

Formally from Plant City, upscale rednecks. An some not so upscale.