Dominicans in UK

morenita inglesa

Jan 7, 2007
Murphis bar on Clerkenwell road, every sunday 1pm -1am, is where you need to go if you wanna meet some of the dominican londoners. You also get to hear more than 1 or 2 bachatas, as is often the case, as well as merengue, salsa and reggaeton. They serve traditional dominican food too.

mimi24

Aug 3, 2008
Thank you so much for that

I am all excited at the prospect of feeling like i maybe back in DR for even a couple of hours

I will definitely try and drag one or two of my friends down there with me.

Do you mean clerkenwell as in south london?

Is it close to the station?

dalila05

Bronze
Aug 9, 2008
republicadominicana.bbactif.com
Thank you so much for that

I am all excited at the prospect of feeling like i maybe back in DR for even a couple of hours

I will definitely try and drag one or two of my friends down there with me.

Do you mean clerkenwell as in south london?

Is it close to the station?
clekenwell is more near king cross
or maybe im wrong
mimi you seems more fanatic than im am and trust me everyone around me is bored of bachata et dr,because is my only subject of conversation!:cheeky:

morenita inglesa

Jan 7, 2007
Yes you're right, it's near King's Cross. Farringdon is the nearest station.
dalila05, I understand why you've been told this but many of the people I've met here seem to prefer to keep their heads down and get on with work and family life. I've also met some dominicans who like to keep themselves to themselves and generally don't mix with other dominicans too often.
The crowd that have been coming along on sundays are a nice bunch, we've brought our 2 little girls along with us twice now and we wouldn't do that if we didn't think we were gonna be around decent people.
I'm not dominican but I'm married to one.

dalila05

Bronze
Aug 9, 2008
im working in st pancras and very often on sunday morning so i might come and it will be nice to meet some couple english/dominican!
morenita do you think is hard to get a visa for a dominican ,regarding the fact is only a fews here in england?

morenita inglesa

Jan 7, 2007
The visa application process is different now, so I'm not sure to be honest. It wasn't difficult for my husband and some others that I've spoken to. If you have all the requested supporting paperwork it'll make the process alot quicker.

dalila05

Bronze
Aug 9, 2008
im french so the procedure is different than british because it will be the visa for the spouse of a eea citizen
im just wondering if you needed many proofs of the relation and if dominican got a bad reputation with the home office like some other nationalities
im dating mine since 16 month and i go there every 2 month for 2 weeks!

morenita inglesa

Jan 7, 2007
You will need proof of your relationship. I know of a few guys here married to spanish citizens, so I don't think that's a problem.
Not sure what you mean about reputation though.

dalila05

Bronze
Aug 9, 2008
yes i have proof,my visas,flight ticket,many photo and some text message from may 2007,emal no unfortunately as i have a boyfriend who is not good with internet!
when i talk about reputation,immigration in uk becoming tight due to the overcrowding of london for example
but im wondering if quotas matter,sorry to talk like this!
but i know is not many dominican in the uk and im just wondering if it does help!
as well one last question before you getting bored of my curiosity
how a dominican acclimate himself to the life here,like the weather for example?

Aug 19, 2004
"how a dominican acclimate himself to the life here,like the weather for example?"

That is very much a personal issue and depends on the individual - attitude, interests etc. My advice would be try not to re-create the Dominican Republic in England and have a broad range of Dominican and non-Dominican friends. What ever you here there are lots of good positive things about London.

As for the weather - all I can say is sorry.

dalila05

Bronze
Aug 9, 2008
hes know more or less what to expect of the weather and because he cannot support the heat,he seems to looking forward but im laughing because he doesnt know the meaning of winter yet!
as well he know about the fact,england doesnt have a big dominican comunity and he told me he doesnt care
i do have a lot of friends from different nationalities and i hope it will be the same for him!
but im quite pleased about this bar where dominicans gathering every sunday!

Aug 19, 2004
You should be fine - the thing my wife dislikes about the weather are long grey days when you never see the sun for a week or so.

I didn't know about the bar and will check that out.

One other thing - Brixton has an excellent market for Caribbean/African produce - plantains etc and very cheap compared to supermarkets.

dalila05

Bronze
Aug 9, 2008
oh yes the food
i dont mind him eating rice everyday but honestly over there i cant anymore
but thanks for the tips,i have seen some plantains in tesco also!
what about the ranchero sauce,anybody know where to get some?

Aug 19, 2004
Never seen Ranchero but there should be something similar in the shops in Brixton. Elephant & Castle Shopping Centre also has a good number of Columbian/South American shops selling similar products.

miarami

Jun 23, 2012
Hey all fellow dominicans .. I live is south of england.... Basinstoke

Heyy there ,
my husband will be joining me soon from Santo Domingo to come live in the south, i live about 20 mins away from Basingstoke :) how did you find it adjusting to life here?