DR-Debate or is there???

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClippedWing

Jan 12, 2002
sancochojoe said:
Clip no matter how hard you want to decent, your either forced to think other wise or you will be closed, and then you are forced to make the decision to not participate or limited your posting. Not that your points of view are wrong.

Thats why I stated before, that it really is not much of a debate. Your just not a true "bobblehead" :)

(

Couldn't have said it better.

Either bobble your head in sync, fly under the radar and get in where you can fit in;

or get your bobble on side to side and just make sure you have thick skin for the oncoming fury of attacks for daring to speak an opposing view.

But in my opinion, the only way to have a really good debate is to have an even mix of Up and Down and Side to Side bobbles.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Oh Puhleaze.

What say you two just stop tiptoeing around the horsey manure, and let's just step right in a big pile of it.

This little rant about "bobbleheads" is solely about making you feel better because you simply can't win a fair debate.

The sad little truth that everyone who posts whining messages like those in this thread do not want to acknowledge is that:
  1. The arguments put forward are often vacuous and disorganized
  2. They are frequently based on historical and factual inaccuracies
  3. When the factual errors are pointed out by others they are ignored
  4. When it finally sinks in that the argument is indefensible for any one or more of the above reasons they resort to insults
  5. When that fails they sulk off claiming that can't get a fair shake here

Whining about being a victim may work for you in the U.S.A. but it won't get you anywhere in the D.R. or here on DR1. Fortunately most of the folks here are way too smart for that.

It's an old dodge but some folks just never learn. Everyone here has seen it a gazillion times. A lot of folks here left places like the U.S.A. to get away from all the idiots crying about being a "victim" everytime they get caught with their own hand in the cookie jar.

Give it a rest! I know you won't listen, but try not blaming everyone else simply because they see through the B.S. your selling and refuse to buy it.

That's your fault, not theirs.

Muchos Besos - Not! Tom aka XR

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
sancochojoe said:
Now must we get sexual on this. If you wanted to get freaky, you should have told me so.

Oh please don't mention that word S-E-X or I'll have to deal with this.

It's amazing the lengths that some people have to go through to get attention!

MOMMY!!! Look at me I'm standing on my head! Over here MOMMY, over here . :rolleyes:

Dang Anna, I can't be playfull either. Is that only relegated to moderators as well. Come on, ease up. I did not see a smily face, so i'm guessing your serious.

Xan, Thats funny, I never felt I've lost any debate, you must be talking about someone else, because I always base my arguments on facts and use references to back them up to justify my point. So i'll let someone else defend that.

Nobody is whining or crying victim, your the only one that brings that up all the time, leave that alone for Gods sakes. Difference of opionions does not equate to whining. We are talking about how debates are conducted, and it appears you are steering it in another direction....againnnnnnn.

Xan, I personally try to give you the benefit of the doubt but its difficult at times.

Anna Coniglio said:
Oh please don't mention that word S-E-X or I'll have to deal with this.

It's amazing the lengths that some people have to go through to get attention!

MOMMY!!! Look at me I'm standing on my head! Over here MOMMY, over here . :rolleyes:

ClippedWing

Jan 12, 2002
sancochojoe said:
Now must we get sexual on this. If you wanted to get freaky, you should have told me so.

LOL.. okay meet me in MArs and Venus so we can really talk.

Don't be skurred now.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Ol' Joe Stew, you're not reading the same thread here that I am then.

CW has stopped imparting her wisdom to the poor souls on DR1 blah blah blah. All you have to do is read her posts. It's not even worth quoting them. And then you jump in with this silly "bobble head" syndrome nonsense. And I still to remember your exact response when it was pointed out that the "R" word was a political invention by a British scientist. You said, and I quote, "Whooo! That's intelligent!". Which illustrates everything I've said quite nicely.

By the way, I wouldn't mind seeing debates given more reign, but one idiot spoils it for everybody. 95% of the posters just don't know how to debate. And it's especially hard to do in text messages, as opposed to orally. Without those moderators shutting things down every 'debate' would end up sounding like a thread in the Airline Forum. "Aeromar's Great! Aeromar Sucks! No it doesn't! Yes it does. Your ugly. Your mamma's ugly. Your papi's ugly AND he flies Aeormar. THREAD CLOSED!!"

Tom aka XR

P.S.
Anna eat your heart out! I never have to deal with this silliness in the Weather forum. Nyah nyah ne nyah nyah! Thfpppt!

Last edited:

ClippedWing

Jan 12, 2002
sancochojoe said:
Xan, Thats funny, I never felt I've lost any debate, you must be talking about someone else, because I always base my arguments on facts and use references to back them up to justify my point. So i'll let someone else defend that.

Nobody is whining or crying victim, your the only one that brings that up all the time, leave that alone for Gods sakes. Difference of opionions does not equate to whining. We are talking about how debates are conducted, and it appears you are steering it in another direction....againnnnnnn.

Xan, I personally try to give you the benefit of the doubt but its difficult at times.

Why do you even respond to him when he gets like that? I challenge you to save your brains cells, he's not even worth a response sometimes. I didn't even get past the first sentence before I realized it was the same ol mess, just reworded to make it sound like it's applicable to this discussion.

I have one of thouse mouses with the scroll wheel in the middle that helps me scroll over convolution like such really, really fast. Get one.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Which Again Proves the Point.

ClippedWing said:
Why do you even respond to him when he gets like that? I challenge you to save your brains cells, he's not even worth a response sometimes. I didn't even get past the first sentence before I realized it was the same ol mess, just reworded to make it sound like it's applicable to this discussion. I have one of thouse mouses with the scroll wheel in the middle that helps me scroll over convolution like such really, really fast. Get one.
Which is debating is not possible when the only thing flapping open is your mouth, while your eyes, ears, and brain are closed for the season.

You have to learn to read the posts dearie to be able to respond, intelligently or not.

Tom aka XR

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
I find the assertion that there is a "clique", or a "bobblehead group" here preposterous. That idea can only stem from either not reading what other posters have to say or having arrived just yesterday to the boards. I can't remember just one poster that have stayed here long enough for me not to disagree with. Sure I share Tony C.'s belief on organized religion, XanaduRanch's beliefs on race and AZB's admiration for tall, handsome sailors (hmm... maybe I got that one wrong), but I would need more hands than Shiva to count the instances of disagreement between us. And everybody eventually disagrees with everybody (see threads on Prostitution, drugs, economy, politics, war, the US. Haiti, etc., etc., etc.).

I don't understand exactly what the problem is, I still insist that the rules are very simple and that should you follow there won't be any problem. Where I see there could be a problem is in the expectation of moderators being babysitters. I have plenty to do to go around clipping, cleaning and pruning threads. By the time I get to see it the feces have usually already intersected the cooling device, and I close the thread. In which case I say you blame the poster who started the fleces flinging and Robert for not paying me to do this so I can sit here all day babysitting adults.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
That's Interesting, But It's Not Irony.

Irony is something spoken to two audiences, one ignorant and one informed.

The ignorant audience sees a single meaning, while the informed audience
sees three, the ignorant one (overt usually), the informed one, and the
knowledge of the ignorant audience's ignorance.

There are four types:
  1. Socratic A teacher takes on the role of the ignorant audience to force his students to examine their knowledge. You could argue that this adds new meanings.
  2. Dramatic The protagonist in a play, usually, play the role of the ignorant audience, while the audience plays the role of the informed audience. Like when Oedipus vows to kill the king.
  3. Irony of Fate Like dramatic irony, but in real life.
  4. Verbal Irony Saying the opposite of what you mean.

A boycott of the "Debate" forum is interesting. I wonder if Larry ever posted here again? But it's not ironic. Ironic would be ClippedWing discovering after all this conservative bashing that her family voted Republican in every election since Hoover's. Or AZB after having taken one of those straight haired, pale skinned Santiago university girls to dinner finds out that she used to be a UBH named Michael Jackson in real life.

Tom aka XR

Hasn't this thread drifted enough to be closed yet? I am trying to do my part! Yaaaaaaawn.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
ClippedWing said:
Too bad Criss didn't heed to his threats.
So let me see if I get it. You are complaining that we don't let some people express themselves freely yet you wish some people didn't express themselves at all.

I hope it was an attempt at sarcasm; otherwise the word to apply is hypocrisy

ClippedWing

Jan 12, 2002
Pib said:
I find the assertion that there is a "clique", or a "bobblehead group" here preposterous. That idea can only stem from either not reading what other posters have to say or having arrived just yesterday to the boards. I can't remember just one poster that have stayed here long enough for me not to disagree with. Sure I share Tony C.'s belief on organized religion, XanaduRanch's beliefs on race and AZB's admiration for tall, handsome sailors (hmm... maybe I got that one wrong), but I would need more hands than Shiva to count the instances of disagreement between us. And everybody eventually disagrees with everybody (see threads on Prostitution, drugs, economy, politics, war, the US. Haiti, etc., etc., etc.).

I don't understand exactly what the problem is, I still insist that the rules are very simple and that should you follow there won't be any problem. Where I see there could be a problem is in the expectation of moderators being babysitters. I have plenty to do to go around clipping, cleaning and pruning threads. By the time I get to see it the feces have usually already intersected the cooling device, and I close the thread. In which case I say you blame the poster who started the fleces flinging and Robert for not paying me to do this so I can sit here all day babysitting adults.

Is this response a joke? This should be over in the Clown Bin because I'm literally LMAO!!! I mean Pib come on now. It was just this morning when you yourself partook in Bobblehead activities and when I questioned you about it... You deleted my post.

Please tell me this was a joke not to be taken seriously...LOL

Smooches..Clip.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Mobrouser, how the hell did you manage to pull up that thread? I did create that thread because I didn't like the creation of the debate forum. I thought it unnecessary and felt that Robert was trying to fix something that wasn't broken. Anyway, look at the date of the thread. It was a year an a half ago. After seeing the debate forum evolve and becoming used to it, I don't mind it anymore. I also don't bother complaining about stupid things like forums being added and so forth anymore. I think this message board kicks *** and if sancochojoe and CW dont like it, then they can make like a tree.

Larry (smooches)

ClippedWing

Jan 12, 2002
Pib said:
So let me see if I get it. You are complaining that we don't let some people express themselves freely yet you wish some people didn't express themselves at all.

I hope it was an attempt at sarcasm; otherwise the word to apply is hypocrisy

To be honest I don't know what it means except I don't like Criss but you can read into it what you want, I could care less. But seriously you of all people have a lot of nerve to talk about hypocrisy. A wise man once said, "Those who live in glass houses should not throw stones"

Smooches...Clip.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Cw

No, I said in all seriousness. I still think that your problem is that you find questionable that others disagree with you. In which case I can't help you. Of course unlike you I don't mind hearing the dissenting voices and I don't want any poster to stop posting or threads deleted merely because I disagree with them or because "I don't like" them. You know, "sticks and stones..." and all that.

ClippedWing

Jan 12, 2002
Larry said:
Mobrouser, how the hell did you manage to pull up that thread? I did create that thread because I didn't like the creation of the debate forum. I thought it unnecessary and felt that Robert was trying to fix something that wasn't broken. Anyway, look at the date of the thread. It was a year an a half ago. After seeing the debate forum evolve and becoming used to it, I don't mind it anymore. I also don't bother complaining about stupid things like forums being added and so forth anymore. I think this message board kicks *** and if sancochojoe and CW dont like it, then they can make like a tree.

Larry (smooches)

Show me one post where I said "I do not like the debate forum" You're the one starting threads about how you're boycotting it and then back peddling when you realize your original thoughts were premature and not well thought out.

I was actually proud of you for thinking as an individual for once when I saw that thread. That was the first time I'd seen that type of behavior from you. But of course the true you came out...

Smooches...Clip.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
I applaud your efforts in trying to get a firm understanding about why some debates and threads on this forum get locked when others don't---but talk about a waste of keystrokes
say it with me P-O-L-I-T-I-C-S
-ClippedWing

Does this qualify? Copied and pasted from the second page of this thread. Nice to have you posting again CW. You add a certain something to my day that I cannot describe.
Larry ( Smooches)

Status
Not open for further replies.