DR Loses!!!!!!! in WBC

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
The best fans in all of MLB, but the city does felch.

Best fans? Now you're going to have to fight El Cleefo...you how those BOSOX fans are (the real ones, not the bandwagon jumpers). I compare them to us Aguiluchos...

?

? bient?t

Best fans? Now you're going to have to fight El Cleefo...you how those BOSOX fans are (the real ones, not the bandwagon jumpers). I compare them to us Aguiluchos...

El Cleefo would have to agree with me: St. Louis fans know the game. But no one can compare with us Aguiluchos: We are a breed apart.

Hey, Chip, I've been wanting to say this for a long time:

Some of my best friends are Liceistas.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
i wonder if i can buy a very cheap wbc dr jersey. some of them should be fresh and clean since they never got a chance to play during the two games :ermm:
Chip, can you get me a 2XL ?

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
True

Whatever dude...if they REALLY wanted to play they would play. You must be a cards fan putting Pujols up in such a high pedestal...He's good but pound for pound? Come on he's pretty chunky.

Pujols is the best player in the game and has longevity. He has had a tremendous career and we've haven't heard any drug rumors yet. But there is no other player with the better stasts and means more to his team. Teixera is overrated. A-rod is A-rod. And well there is no other "great" player in the game.

Mr. Lu

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Pujols does have the better stats...Not sure pound for pound though. I think Manny (even with all the shenanigans) is a great player. At least one of the most consistent players ever and been doing it for many years. Albert needs a few more years under his belt...

daddy1

Feb 27, 2004
Dominican baseball overated!

I don't understand the excitement of seeing the DR play at all.... we have not achieved at any level of play....entry level youth, mid-teen, or pro...little league world series, pony, junior ,senior, AAU, USSSA, women softball, pan-am games, olympics, etc..etc....I believe though that this team played to win the pitching was outstanding...but they made the netherlands non-professional pitching look cy young! plus basic fundamental managing was also missing...no small ball play nor quick decisions to pull eractic pitchers, and it seemed that Aybar was not playing in enough to make a play during there last run...we can argue that pedro should had been in longer seeming that he is not signed and all with any club...maybe that's just me, in the end you play to win!...but people are starting to find out you bring your A game Dominican teams will fold...were lacking discipline, we get to over-confident, it's all about the money, and not about pride or preperation...could Manny, vlad, albert, Arod made the difference heck yeah...both for moral and motivational purposes...we didn't put out the best of our best and we got what we deserved...we now have 4 more years to marinate on that!:paranoid:

I mean are we as skilled as we want to believe,or just good enough to get a pay-check...but this i will say we are not what people think we are...we are much less... unless we prove otherwise!:ermm:

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Not the worse, but pretty close

I find most Red Sox fans loathsome - that would be the ones you hear from so much (radio, running off at the mouth in a bar, etc.). These are the guys that wear puffy jackets, have all the hats and shirts, begin, end, and litter every sentence with f'bombs. I've already lived with that. No thanks!

As for the debate of who the best player is, I think it deserves a definition of what "best" really means.

If you're talking about the best hitter in the game, it would be Planet Manny, Pujols, and if you overlook playoff results, MeRod. That's not to say Pujols won't be considered better in the end, but going by the sample size provided to us through recent history, Planet Manny stands alone.

Best player is a far more complicated mango to peel.

For various reasons (defense, integrity, etc.) Planet Manny isn't in the debate. Pujos is a very good defensive player, is a winner and hits in the clutch. MeRod must do something in crunch time to be considered.

Texeira doesn't have the offensive stats (enough history) but he offers two very valuable skills that the others don't. He's an exceptional first baseman, and he bats equally well from both sides of the plate. In my mind that really counts for something.

Time will tell, but without question the Dominican Republic has produced the majority of exciting and productive baseball players in my lifetime. Ad in a couple more stellar years from Hanley Ramirez and he's in the debate as well.

I haven't forgotten Vlady, he's one of my favorites, but his body has failed him in many of the same ways as Griffey Jr, which takes them both out of the debate.

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
Whatever dude...if they REALLY wanted to play they would play. You must be a cards fan putting Pujols up in such a high pedestal...He's good but pound for pound? Come on he's pretty chunky.

BTW I'm in St. Louis as we speak. I thought Detroit was a sad city, but St. Louis sucks a$$...

Also what it this I hear people saying nowadays how Mark Teixeira is the best player...how did an about average guy all of sudden becomes the best player in the game? His numbers have been good but never been anything to be amazed about (Always averaged about 30+ HR, about 300 batting, etc) many other players have about the same numbers or better (i.e. Manny Ramirez, Vladimir G., etc).

Wrong again, they can't play if their MLB team prohibits them. At the end of the day the WBC is just a pre-season tourney for the real baseball season. Also, been a BoSox fan since 67 and I don't need to put Pujolas anywhere, he's already done that very successfully with his god given talent. Just look into his bio for his career Albert Pujols Statistics - Baseball-Reference.com , and you tell me who has achieved more with the supporting cast that he has had! When I say pound for pound look at the 20 or so stats at the bottom compared to other league players as well as his 2 ML MVP in addition to his multiple NL MVP. Enough said!:cheeky:

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Insurance

Wrong again, they can't play if their MLB team prohibits them.
The teams may take the "blame" but it has more to do with the insurance on the player's contracts. Insurers aren't going to pay on contracts if the player is injured in WBC, or if a player is recovering from surgery or a pre-existing injury, they can stop a player from competing.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Good analysis Cleefo the big red doggie. Kyle, obviously you have to take everything in context of course. If we look at those numbers then Griffey is at the top in a lot of those categories, but would you agree that at this point in time he's not even the shadow of what he used to be and wouldn't you take Teixeira over him? Of course anyone would nowadays. Do I believe Teixeira is anywhere as good as Griffey was when he was in his prime...not even close.

Manny is the only guy out of this group who has been doing this consistently for many, many years now. Maybe his nonchalant approach to the whole game has kept him from injuries or psychological slumps. It's still too early to tell about Pujols and how durable he will be.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
The one who suggested that Teixeira is a better player than Pujols should be smoking a good one, Pujols is the best baseball player in earth, Teixeira while an excellent player doesn't come close to the otherwordly stats that Pujols offers years after years

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
How did I know you'd pipe in whenever cricket is mentioned?

How did England do in the WBC, I can't seem to find their box scores.

Perhaps this just isn't all that important to the Dominicans (the baseball players anyway). I know the fans care.

I think they don't care because they don't see any dollars signs in in that tournament.
probably if Leonel offers them one million dollar for every good play they make that would probably give them the motivation to play.

Felipe don't want to admit it but they are the one that cause DR lost. Not because they
did not play, but because they pretend to get excited about wanting to play for the DR when the tournament aproaches. Which takes up important slots and time away from the
coach and other players from builiding and training a solid team that will communicate well.

If i was the sports commissioner of the DR, I would ban these MLB players from representing the country in international tournaments because at the end they are no-show
and then the coach has to pull people from the streets to cover the slots.

It's a darn shame....Can't complain though, good thing I knew that this was going to happend again just as they did last year with a $2500.00 dollars positive bet on my favor....Lol

My only regret is that I did not bet more money. Specially since the odd was so great

May 31, 2005
Embarrasing yes but almost all of the players on the Dutch team are from Aruba which as you know is inbetween Venezuela and the D.R. so it may be safe to say that some of these players could have Dominican or Venezuelan roots yes ?

I know it's a stretch but silver lining right....hehe

My two cousins (whose parents are Dominican) were born in Aruba and they both play baseball. They have been to different countries playing baseball.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Wrong again, they can't play if their MLB team prohibits them. At the end of the day the WBC is just a pre-season tourney for the real baseball season.

I know what you're trying to say, but if the player really wanted to play he could play. Example Miguel Tejada, David Ortiz, etc...What's special about them? Don't you think their teams wish they didn't expose themselves to potential injury, but they've decided to play in spite of. Even Arod playing for the yankees with the largest contract ever decided to play (I'm sure Yankee management was ****ting a brick to see their huge investment potentially get hurt, but he still decided to do it. I think this is just an easy excuse for these players to weasel out of representing their countries.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
We should build a statue of Miguel Tejada in front of the Congress as "Pelotero de la Patria" Cuanta entrega mi hermano, deslizandose de cabeza para llegar a primera.