DR Loses!!!!!!! in WBC

ChicaBianca

Jul 13, 2006
it where good games to watch as I love dominican republic but I am Dutch it was difficult to say who would be my favorite team, but feel proud that such a little country where baseball is not popular at all, could win twice from a baseball team like they have in DR

TheOP

Jul 14, 2006
Somerville, MA
Well, at least the Dutchies had some good additions from the Netherland Antilles, but it was mostly whities who were in the team... amazing. As a Dominican who was in Groningen and Amsterdam last year and saw no baseball activity there at all, I had to take my hat off in front of the Netherlands.

semperinfidelis

Apr 15, 2003
I saw the recap of the game on the news and it was sweeeet!!! I'm glad the DR lost. These boys are hell of arrogant and they deserved to lose. Que verguenza pero 'ta bueno que le pase!

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
"Highlights"

In all due respect to the talent and brovado of the DR team, as soon as they were down, they looked like losers in their dugout.

They seemed to care, but they didn't look like winners, they looked like a gazelle waiting - and knowing - their fate from their predators.

Sad. They have an amazing team on paper. Not so sure the Netherlands beat them, or they just gave up and didn't give a mango about what was happening.

As has been posted earlier, if there is no financial benefit, the spirit of gamesmanship and sport was not on display from their side.

Again, good for the Dutch, they played the game well.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
i was just providing some stats for this discussion. Manny and Albert are talented but not overly talented as anyone else at the top of the stat column when they were young.
i think i will bow to the Holy Ones of this discussion :ermm:

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Add Curacao to the list of countries the Dutch team recruited players from, plus their manager, Rod Delmonico, is American. I went to college with him back in the 70s. Very sharp guy.

As great a story as the Dutch wins over the DR is, they also lost twice to Puerto Rico, which indicates to me what a poor performance this was by the Dominacanos.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
I find most Red Sox fans loathsome - that would be the ones you hear from so much (radio, running off at the mouth in a bar, etc.). These are the guys that wear puffy jackets, have all the hats and shirts, begin, end, and litter every sentence with f'bombs. I've already lived with that. No thanks!

As for the debate of who the best player is, I think it deserves a definition of what "best" really means.

If you're talking about the best hitter in the game, it would be Planet Manny, Pujols, and if you overlook playoff results, MeRod. That's not to say Pujols won't be considered better in the end, but going by the sample size provided to us through recent history, Planet Manny stands alone.

Best player is a far more complicated mango to peel.

For various reasons (defense, integrity, etc.) Planet Manny isn't in the debate. Pujos is a very good defensive player, is a winner and hits in the clutch. MeRod must do something in crunch time to be considered.

Texeira doesn't have the offensive stats (enough history) but he offers two very valuable skills that the others don't. He's an exceptional first baseman, and he bats equally well from both sides of the plate. In my mind that really counts for something.

Time will tell, but without question the Dominican Republic has produced the majority of exciting and productive baseball players in my lifetime. Ad in a couple more stellar years from Hanley Ramirez and he's in the debate as well.

I haven't forgotten Vlady, he's one of my favorites, but his body has failed him in many of the same ways as Griffey Jr, which takes them both out of the debate.

Who do you think is better than Manny in the clutch, neither Pujols, Vlad or ARod (lol) can be put in the same sentence as Manny when talking about clutch hits, only the Big Papi and he is fading out infortunadamente.

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
Sore loser?

Pedro criticizes MLB
Pedro Martinez, who shone during the game against the Netherlands, blamed the World Baseball Classic organizers for the Dominican defeat. "They banned us from training together. They kept us away from our manager, and we could not practice strategies, and that made no sense," he said. Felipe Alou had planned a mini-training camp in Santo Domingo to get the Dominican players synchronized, but this was blocked by the MLB on the grounds that it was outside the training dates the teams were assigned.

At least it was not the Dominican players' fault.:tired::rolleyes:

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
ok I have a question, how often is this WBC played? is it yearly?
and the other solution would be play these games earlier so it doesnt interfere so much with MLB or preseason. MLB should stop regulating the player's decisions to play in this tournament. This reminds me of the World Cup....why not let these players represent their country and train and let the best team win!

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
WBC will be played every four years going forward. If managed correctly, it might just become bigger than the so called world series.

Last edited:

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Settle Down!

Who do you think is better than Manny in the clutch, neither Pujols, Vlad or ARod (lol) can be put in the same sentence as Manny when talking about clutch hits, only the Big Papi and he is fading out infortunadamente.
I haven't seen enough of Pujols (I simply don't watch that much of the NL) and I've seen a ton of Manny highlights, so if you're asking me who is better, I'm going to say Manny.

Not that it's the truth, but just what I've seen. Based on history, Manny is "better" but that can change in the next few years.

As I said in an earlier post/thread, when I heard Pujos won the MVP, and they laid out his numbers for the year (08) I was blown away. In all honesty, I can't name any other impact player in that lineup. So, to produce what he did is simply magnificent.

Hat's off to the guy. I don't see any reason he won't put Manny's numbers in the hamper by the time he's done.

He seems like an easy guy to root for. I wish he was on the Sox. That's a high compliment - from me.

As for Big Papi, some of his highlights have been other-worldly. Although a small sample size, the "clutch" part of it is hard to ignore.

Let's give him another year of being healthy before we bury him. He's immensely talented, if not often healthy.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
The Dutch team is not a real Mickey Mouse team: they are European Champions since about time immemorial, they usually have few ML-ers on board, play quite well in the Olympics (a couple of 4th spots), finished 4th in the World Cup 2007 and have done ok in the 2006 edition of the Intercontinental Cup (finishing behind Cuba in 2nd place).

One thing to bear in mind here is that none of these tourneys feature a heavy presence of ML-ers

The Dutch are not going anywhere in the rest of the tourney, due to lack of hitters.
However, they field a strong pitching and fielding team.

One important point imo is that we must take into account that most players aren't on top form (usually in Spring training by now). This his goes for all players but I think it levels the playing field more in favor of the teams with the least talent.

Ultimately the DR should have done better, but they didn't. The Dutch did also play quite good against PR but were undone by lack of batting power (they have the worst in the WBC history batting .151 as a team up till Saturday).

BTW the National sport if Football (Soccer), for which we are currently ranked 3rd on the FIFA world ranking list.

Last edited:

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
the dutch has had their moment in the sun. next week we'll be discussing something else....

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
The Dutch boys ran into Venezuela and lost. Two homers was what did them in. What they have is very good pitching but not much offense. 3-1 final score. They lose on Sunday and its bye bye.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
WBC will be played every four years going forward. If managed correctly, it might just become bigger than the so called world series.

That will take at least a generation or two for sure. Nonetheless, I think that is part of the plan.

I think we will see that eventually good pitching and "small ball" will take the majority of the championships.

As far as this years version, I want Cuba to win.

mikey007

Bronze
Aug 19, 2005
i have several dominican friends who are totally embarassed about this this is probably one of the biggest sports upsets in modern day baseball history what odds would las vegas give for this before the tournament , just think about that one im not seeing the dominicans wearingthose baseball caps anymore :chinese::chinese::chinese::chinese::chinese::chinese::chinese:

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Japan does it again - good pitching, defense and small ball offense are the way to consistenly win when needed most, everything else is marketing and fluff I suppose.