DR & PR at night

Sep 4, 2012
i fail to understand how suggesting that the absence of light might suggest an absence of electricity is pouring gas on a thread. maybe you are just looking to start a fight.

An absence of light suggest an absence of electricity ?

What is this suppose to be an intrinsic formula of some sort?

Lights and electricity aren't proportional just as the DR and PR could not either for obvious reasons.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
An absence of light suggest an absence of electricity ?

What is this suppose to be an intrinsic formula of some sort?

Lights and electricity aren't proportional just as the DR and PR could not either for obvious reasons.

you are the guy who tried to argue with me that some female Dominican weight lifter had won medals in the Olympic Games. after that event, i do not find you worthy of debating. go seek your back and forth elsewhere.*

mb2

Mar 2, 2005
Agricultural land (% of land that is arable and farmed) is 21% in Puerto Rico - 50% in the Dominican Republic, so more than double. Additionally, Protected Areas (national parks, national forests, terrestrial protected areas as its known) is only 10% in Puerto Rico - 23% in the Dominican Republic (and kudos to the DR for protecting 23% of their land!). This means that about a third of Puerto Rico is farms/national parks, while 3/4 of the DR are farms or protected lands. Hence the difference in the images (since clearly you don't light up a national park).

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Agricultural land (% of land that is arable and farmed) is 21% in Puerto Rico - 50% in the Dominican Republic, so more than double. Additionally, Protected Areas (national parks, national forests, terrestrial protected areas as its known) is only 10% in Puerto Rico - 23% in the Dominican Republic (and kudos to the DR for protecting 23% of their land!). This means that about a third of Puerto Rico is farms/national parks, while 3/4 of the DR are farms or protected lands. Hence the difference in the images (since clearly you don't light up a national park).

i appreciate your attempt to shed some light on this subject...no pun intended. i agree that there is a far greater portion of the land mass which is considered arable land in the DR, as opposed to Puerto Rico. your analysis is academically sound, but it fails to take into consideration the fact that *the arable lands are populated by farmers, and they use lights at night. true it is that the density of illumination in the cities will be more intense than the rural areas, but if we use your analysis in a vaccuum, it would suggest that Puerto Rico is one big urban area with next to no rural farmland areas.

pkaide1

Bronze
Aug 10, 2005
so you are suggesting that the people in the densely populated areas do not know how to conserve electricity, but those in the areas depicted on the map as lightless know how to.

all righty then.

What the picture it is telling me that it is easier to see the stars, the planets and maybe some galaxies at night time from Dominican Republic.

Sep 4, 2012
i appreciate your attempt to shed some light on this subject...no pun intended. i agree that there is a far greater portion of the land mass which is considered arable land in the DR, as opposed to Puerto Rico. your analysis is academically sound, but it fails to take into consideration the fact that *the arable lands are populated by farmers, and they use lights at night. true it is that the density of illumination in the cities will be more intense than the rural areas, but if we use your analysis in a vaccuum, it would suggest that Puerto Rico is one big urban area with next to no rural farmland areas.

Jesus! Talk about much of nothing.

it would suggest that Puerto Rico is one big urban area with next to no rural farmland areas.
Have you ever been in PR? Much of the entire island is urban and over-populated, not to be confused with having no farm land but far and few less than the DR for certain.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Jesus! Talk about much of nothing.

Have you ever been in PR? Much of the entire island is urban and over-populated, not to be confused with having no farm land but far and few less than the DR for certain.

i am going to help with your education. maybe you prefer to just flap your jaws for attention, but let me suggest some reading. we can start with this

file:///C:/Users/user/Downloads/sustainability-05-04988.pdf

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
What the picture it is telling me that it is easier to see the stars, the planets and maybe some galaxies at night time from Dominican Republic.
One of the simple pleasures of living in the non-urban DR...

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
What does the photo proves?

That the DR is six times bigger than Puerto Rico, but Puerto Rico is almost twice as crowded.*
People here assume that the dark areas is due to black outs, when in fact the bulk of DR's population concentrates at high densities in roughly 15% of the territory.*

Compare a population density map of PR with one of DR, and you will notice two main things:

1. DR's population is much more heavily concentrated in a minor part of the territory while PR's population is much heavily spread out.*

2. The population density maps coincide with the electricity maps.

Can't expect wilderness areas with hardly a soul for kilometers on end to be as iluminated as an area that is essentially suburban.*

A much more shocking comparison is electricity maps of DR and Haiti. Haiti is much more densiy populated than the DR, has a territory only half the size of DR's, and a population that is nearly equal in size. If you look at a population density map of Haiti, you will notice that its similar to PR's in the sense that high density areas cover a much larger percentage of the territory than it does in DR. Yet, outside Port-au-Prince the country is practically dark, even in areas with population densities similar to DR's central Cibao region (which is quite bright at night).

Sep 4, 2012
NALS,

I posed the question as a rebuttal to the "impression and wrongful conveyed message" on the initial posting of this thread.

People here assume that the dark areas is due to black outs, when in fact the bulk of DR's population concentrates at high densities in roughly 15% of the territory.*
People here have a singular name: the Gorgon. He's the one pushing the hyperbole or perhaps just showing a lack of knowledge, rather unusual from such a source and fountain of brilliant expertise?

Sep 4, 2012
i am going to help with your education. maybe you prefer to just flap your jaws for attention, but let me suggest some reading. we can start with this

file:///C:/Users/user/Downloads/sustainability-05-04988.pdf

Try the upload again bud, if you are going to teach me something -- start with the right foot.

Now back to the lights and dark areas of the DR. Why would you believe is so much disparity on the electrical services between the two islands?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
For the love of God? The article you linked to is in regards to Africa dude. Stay in topic this is DR and we are talking DR1, stay with the subject.

you are not too bright, i see. the fact that the map is for Africa does not mean the METHODOLOGY OF ANALYSIS is not applicable.*

keep embarrassing yourself. i am enjoying this.

Sep 4, 2012
you are not too bright, i see. the fact that the map is for Africa does not mean the METHODOLOGY OF ANALYSIS is not applicable.*

keep embarrassing yourself. i am enjoying this.

Which methodology? Oh yes, farmer "illuminate" their farms and hence plenty of lights to be picked up by satellite imagery?

You should compile your replies and eventually use them for a theatrical comedy (they are hilarious BTW) somewhere in Jamaica!

Please stay on the subject and answer previous questions pertaining to the island.

Now back to the lights and dark areas of the DR. Why would you believe is so much disparity on the electrical services between the two islands?