DR & PR at night

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
what is even more interesting is the depiction of the Lesser Antilles to the east od PR....

Nope that would be Culebra, Vieques and St Thomas, St Croix and St Johns a little bit too far North to see the lesser Antilles. But something seems fishy about the photo. It maybe real but Vieques and St Croix are sparcely populated, as is the interior of Puerto Rico. It seems odd that many lights would be that tightly grouped.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Probably a majority of the bright visible lights from outer space are street lights or store fronts, parking lots and highway billboards, etc. Since there are few street lights in DR maybe what is visible are the flashlights of the ladrones circling their next victim's house ?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Nope that would be Culebra, Vieques and St Thomas, St Croix and St Johns a little bit too far North to see the lesser Antilles. But something seems fishy about the photo. It maybe real but Vieques and St Croix are sparcely populated, as is the interior of Puerto Rico. It seems odd that many lights would be that tightly grouped.

i think that those islands of the Virgin Islands group are considered to be among the Leewards, or Lesser Antilles, as opposed to the more southerly *Winwards, or Greater Antilles, such as Barbados. i could be wrong, though.

airgordo

Bronze
Jun 24, 2015
which methodology? Oh yes, farmer "illuminate" their farms and hence plenty of lights to be picked up by satellite imagery?

You should compile your replies and eventually use them for a theatrical comedy (they are hilarious btw) somewhere in jamaica!

Please stay on the subject and answer previous questions pertaining to the island.
:p :D

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
All yes to parks, less density and all.......

Except that when i drive/drove the road navarette-imbert-guananico, its either lit up all the way ( ay luz !! ), or dark all the way ( no ay luz :( ).
Less true in the last few months as some places, including guananico, supposedly have 24h luz now.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
i think that those islands of the Virgin Islands group are considered to be among the Leewards, or Lesser Antilles, as opposed to the more southerly *Winwards, or Greater Antilles, such as Barbados. i could be wrong, though.

You are correct they are part of the Leeward islands and (maybe) the Virgin Islands is considered part of the Lesser Antilles, depending on which old map you reference (It makes sense they would be). There is a antiques map shop in St Johns where you can find some variance in maps, some from the pirate days and I have seen some that group the Virgin Islands as part of the Lesser group.
Some nautical whiz kid may have better info, but I "believe" most maps now consider the Lesser Group goes from St Kitts in the North down to Grenada and even includes Trinidad/Tobago in the South. But the Greater Antilles are the northern islands including your own DR (Hispaniola), Cuba, Puerto Rico, Jamaica, and the Cayman Islands.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
You are correct they are part of the Leeward islands and (maybe) the Virgin Islands is considered part of the Lesser Antilles, depending on which old map you reference (It makes sense they would be). There is a antiques map shop in St Johns where you can find some variance in maps, some from the pirate days and I have seen some that group the Virgin Islands as part of the Lesser group.
Some nautical whiz kid may have better info, but I "believe" most maps now consider the Lesser Group goes from St Kitts in the North down to Grenada and even includes Trinidad/Tobago in the South. But the Greater Antilles are the northern islands including your own DR (Hispaniola), Cuba, Puerto Rico, Jamaica, and the Cayman Islands.

i have to agree with you on all of that...that is about the way i learned it in school.

Aug 6, 2006
I did not mention AC, you did. That fan does not work without electricity.

I was assuming that you were referring to AC.

It is true that the fan does not work after the batteries have run down, but there seems to always be a breeze at night.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Pictures taken during nights from space, are the representation of the lights used on streets, lots, etc...
This has zilch to do with lights in the interior of private or multifamily homes.

Homes don't just have unobstructed windows at night whilst lights are on. The majority have shades or some type of blinds.
What you see in PR is nothing more than an overwhelming use of street and outdoors lighting.

Energy conservation is a must in the DR due to cost.*
You are lucky this picture was taken of the DR whilst the power was on in the grid...

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Pictures taken during nights from space, are the representation of the lights used on streets, lots, etc...
This has zilch to do with lights in the interior of private or multifamily homes.

Homes don't just have unobstructed windows at night whilst lights are on. The majority have shades or some type of blinds.
What you see in PR is nothing more than an overwhelming use of street and outdoors lighting.

Energy conservation is a must in the DR due to cost.*
You are lucky this picture was taken of the DR whilst the power was on in the grid...

i agree with a lot of what you say here. it makes perfect sense that much of the illumination depicted in these satellite photos has its origin in street lights and lots. however, what that signifies is that electricity delivery is present in those areas. the areas of darkness in the DR map probably indicates that there is no electrification in that area...

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
i agree with a lot of what you say here. it makes perfect sense that much of the illumination depicted in these satellite photos has its origin in street lights and lots. however, what that signifies is that electricity delivery is present in those areas. the areas of darkness in the DR map probably indicates that there is no electrification in that area...

At least not on the streets or commercial lots to name some.
Rural DR lacks illumination. There is light, but for the most part only to power the houses and nobody keeps flood lights on the outside.

In PR even very remote rural areas have roads illumination.*

Gurabo444

Nov 1, 2009

Not trying to pick a fight, but do you ever have anything positive to say about DR? I've noticed that even in the threads were something positive is said done etc by DR or a Dominican you need to find the negative spin to it. I don't know what you're doing living in a country that's so bad, maybe Jamaica and the rest of those tiny islands you seem to love are a way better home for you.

Yes, it's true that in some parts of the map were is dark there is no electricity, but that Map simply shows the urban DR, just go to google earth and you will noticed just like Nals said that the map depicts the highly populated parts of DR. For example, almost the entire center of the country is dark and that's because la Cordillera central runs through most of the island. There is an energy problem in DR, but it has improved a lot. Anyone who lives here knows it and there are ton of sectors, sometimes almost entire cities/towns where electricity is present 24/7.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Not trying to pick a fight, but do you ever have anything positive to say about DR? I've noticed that even in the threads were something positive is said done etc by DR or a Dominican you need to find the negative spin to it. I don't know what you're doing living in a country that's so bad, maybe Jamaica and the rest of those tiny islands you seem to love are a way better home for you.

Yes, it's true that in some parts of the map were is dark there is no electricity, but that Map simply shows the urban DR, just go to google earth and you will noticed just like Nals said that the map depicts the highly populated parts of DR. For example, almost the entire center of the country is dark and that's because la Cordillera central runs through most of the island. There is an energy problem in DR, but it has improved a lot. Anyone who lives here knows it and there are ton of sectors, sometimes almost entire cities/towns where electricity is present 24/7.

the mere fact that you prefaced your posting with the not picking a fight disclaimer exposes your intention.*

now here is exactly what i said. i stated that the map suggests that there are large patches of the landscape which have no electricity, and that means that there is a large amount of productive potential which is lost.

that , my friend, is not a negative commentary. it is a simple statement of an economic reality. if you don?t like it, don?t bother me. rewrite the laws of production to minimize the role of electricity in the productive cycle in 2017.

furthermore, i hardly remember ever declaring a love for any country. go pick your silly fight elsewnere. it is too early in the new year for your silliness.

Last edited: