driving laws in the d.r.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Since when did you need a criminal record check for a driver's license here?

Also you take the road test before getting a provisional license, not after.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Since when did you need a criminal record check for a driver's license here?

Also you take the road test before getting a provisional license, not after.[/QUOT

After paying the required fees you submit your cedula for a police check. I do not think this is a criminal record check as such rather a check to see if you have a record of driving or drug related record to make you unfit to drive. Once the check is complete you get papers to move on to the fingerprinting,blood and eye test before a 40 minute training video then theory test and then you get the provisional license.

The driving test is supposedly 45 days later after paying more fees and on passing that you get your license with all your data stored on it.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Police check, criminal record check whatever it is that the local cops do, that's what you need to turn in at the licensing office.

The practical test (road test) is done no earlier than 45 days after being issued your temporary, learners, provisional (insert your favourite term here) license.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
The temporary license is good to drive with by yourself night or day. When I got my license many years ago you took the road test before getting anything. So now you get a license with NO road test? Can anyone that got a new license lately confirm this?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Can anyone that got a new license lately confirm this?

I got my DR license two months ago. The learners permit does not permit you to drive alone, it is intended for you to practice for your practical test.

Why do you appear to have such a hard time accepting what I write? Do you believe that I am intentionally trying to deceive someone?

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
The temporary license is good to drive with by yourself night or day. When I got my license many years ago you took the road test before getting anything. So now you get a license with NO road test? Can anyone that got a new license lately confirm this?

In SDO your take your practical test on a test track with junctions lights etc. at the back of the center by Olympic stadium. I did one lap before the instruction said 'enough you pass' so cannot confirm if they do exit onto the roads thereafter. With the temporary license you should have a qualified driver with you at all times.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
In Puerto Plata, the practical test is conducted on surface streets. One time around the block. 1 left turn, 3 right turns and a left turn back into the parking lot. I didn't get out of third gear. Didn't take more than 3 minutes.

No traffic lights, 1 stop sign, 11 potholes and zero traffic.

As mentioned elsewhere, if you opt to take the practical driving test using a test car with an automatic transmission, your license is restricted to automatic vehicles.

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
Guys, what driving test are you talking about? You give 1000 pesos to a guy, and there is no test at all )) I did if for my ex?wife, she never tried to drive the car before she got the license here.

Another point is if you are not US citizen, you can just make a certification of your driving license from your home country in your consulate/embassy, and get Dominican license in one day without any tests, temporary license, etc.. I think that US Embassy doesn't have this service for their citizens.

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
if you opt to take the practical driving test using a test car with an automatic transmission, your license is restricted to automatic vehicles.
Please don't post the false info. There is no information about transmission type in Dominican drivers license. You get Categoria 02 Conductor, which is good for any passenger vehicle or light truck (similar to B Category in other countries), it's printed on the back of the license.

Last edited:

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Guys, what driving test are you talking about? You give 1000 pesos to a guy, and there is no test at all )) I did if for my ex–wife, she never tried to drive the car before she got the license here.

Another point is if you are not US citizen, you can just make a certification of your driving license from your home country in your consulate/embassy, and get Dominican license in one day without any tests, temporary license, etc.. I think that US Embassy doesn't have this service for their citizens.

That is not the current way, at least for honest people, and apparently not readily available. You are correct about others country, neither my wife or I had to go through the process, just present a certification from the Canadian embassy, legalized in the DR, and our Canadian drivers license, eye-exam and 20 minutes later walked out with our Dominican license, good for four years.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Guys, what driving test are you talking about? You give 1000 pesos to a guy, and there is no test at all )) I did if for my ex–wife, she never tried to drive the car before she got the license here.

you are absolutely correct about the 1000 pesos in lieu of a test. my friend?s wife went for her license a few months ago, and the instructor told her that she would only have to produce 1000 pesos and she would get the license. my friend told her to try it on her own without the bribe, and she would feel better if she actually passed on her own merits. she did exactly that.

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
That is not the current way, at least for honest people, and apparently not readily available.

It's always available, you just have to find the right instructor. There is always at least one who needs some extra cash. They know how to do it, they wait until their supervisor looks to the other side, talks to somebody or goes to the bathroom, when you get into the car on the driver's seat, give him 1000 pesos, drive 10 feet, stop and leave.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
It's always available, you just have to find the right instructor. There is always at least one who needs some extra cash. They know how to do it, they wait until their supervisor looks to the other side, talks to somebody or goes to the bathroom, when you get into the car on the driver's seat, give him 1000 pesos, drive 10 feet, stop and leave.

he says it is not readily available because he is completely out of touch with the real DR.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I have said this before..............

at application, flop your 'native' driver's license down...they'll understand you can drive.
500 pesos later , you will never go near a car

Smile, shake hands , say 'gracias' - go home

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
I have said this before..............

at application, flop your 'native' driver's license down...they'll understand you can drive.
500 pesos later , you will never go near a car

Smile, shake hands , say 'gracias' - go home

Have a close look at the front and back of your license if you obtained it that way, and then compare it to a new real DR license

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
No, I did the VIP, 4 yrs ago - renewing this year.
I am legit.....

Like any Dominican, why chase a bus?
They know you can drive, they'll skip the road test in a heartbeat.... and hand over the tarjeta

Repeat, mine is good......

My suggestion was in lieu of going to the embassy, getting the papers and then going to get the license.

Trust me ju10..... I am on the radar.... free and clear