driving laws in the d.r.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
It's always available, you just have to find the right instructor. There is always at least one who needs some extra cash. They know how to do it, they wait until their supervisor looks to the other side, talks to somebody or goes to the bathroom, when you get into the car on the driver's seat, give him 1000 pesos, drive 10 feet, stop and leave.
Not required if you are from any other country besides the USA. If you have a valid drivers license you don't need to take a drivers teat or a written test either.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
ju10

Your point is valid about 'bought' licenses.

for the uninitiated, unless you are in the official office having your photo taken and signing your name -
you are being taken.

If you sit and have beer waiting for your new license, consider yourself lucky if anybody comes back to you.
they may just abscond.

sort of a take on the old , 'Buyer Beware' adage

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Please don't post the false info. There is no information about transmission type in Dominican drivers license. You get Categoria 02 Conductor, which is good for any passenger vehicle or light truck (similar to B Category in other countries), it's printed on the back of the license.

Don't know about you but when I took the test in an automatic, my dominican license states 2 restriction's 1. for glasses, 2 automatic only! I can fax the frond and back if you don't believe it!!!! So much for your false info.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Don't know about you but when I took the test in an automatic, my dominican license states 2 restriction's 1. for glasses, 2 automatic only! I can fax the frond and back if you don't believe it!!!! So much for your false info.

And on advice that you only get 'ninguna' restrictions on the back of your license, I chose the manual car.

You obviously have a real license like me.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
So --- I just checked

Remember, VIP = no road test

Ninguna..... conductor.... on mine

never thought about... contact lenses might fool the eyesight test

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
No eye required for test for me. I just told them my blood type and that was good enough for them on that day at that particular time.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014

I was going to reply when yet again those who don't what they are talking about shot from the hip and left trails of misinformation for the unsuspecting and truly uninformed to trip over.

I chose not to bother as is quickly becoming my new M.O. I'll say something once, people may believe me or not that's their choice. I haven't been here long enough to have my brain baked by the sun enough to be so closed minded as to accept the notion that nothing ever changes in this country. My experience, stuff is changing almost daily. What someone did 4 years ago may no longer be possible. The fact is that the way something was done last week, may no longer be possible.

There is a big sign on the wall at the licensing place, "DO NOT tip the driving examiner!" This suggestion was repeated to me by the clerk who processed my info on the day of my practical test. I was also specifically asked type of transmission I wished to use for my test. It was clearly explained to me that if I chose "an automatic" this choice would result in a restriction being placed on my license.

I opted not to have my Canadian License certified because when I called the consulate in Puerto Plata, I was told this can only be done in Santo Domingo. I was not prepared to devote and entire day to that process and I'd rather pluck nose hairs if it means I don't have to sit on a bus for 9 hours. Maybe the consulate could have sent my license to SD, I didn't ask.

No real problem, it just took time and I have a lot of that to spare. End result, I achieved my goal without having to even consider tossing extra money around. A win in my book.

Now if we can just get the few to consider they may not be the oracles they profess to be and/or to stop advising others to break the law to circumvent the system, we'd all be much better off. Especially for the benefit of those who really do want to accomplish something concrete with the least amount of hassle and not be forced to redo it the right way at some later time when Amet points out that the license they have is not valid.

There is no money involved within the licensing office at all. All fees are paid in advance at the bank. There is no opportunity to plunk down $1000 pesos to speed things along. It is possible to spend that money getting from the curb to the office door, but the value one gets for that money is questionable these days. While VIP service may be an option elsewhere, it did not appear to me to be an available option where I was. Everyone did the same thing, paid the same amount, was told not to smile for the picture and were treated pleasantly and efficiently.

Shocking I know, but true. Welcome to the Nueva Rep?blica Dominicana.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
OK, Buster... I'll chime in... since much of today's 'class' seems related to me.

If I may:

What someone did 4 yrs ago.....
Yup = me... no more VIP.... Gringo nails it.......again

Do not tip the driving examiner
is equivalent to a speed limit or Stop sign.... obey if you will - or ignore...... jury out on this one

Breaking the Law....
I am careful.... is bending breaking?.... ever litter ? Against the law

we all try not to break anything

Curb to Door
I seem to recall you greasing somebody as an ayudante... not too successfully , but money spent.... WW gets one

All in all, I agree with you... and will report back on my renewal in July

Buster,,, this is more fun than Panama, huh?

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014

My license says restricciones: Ninguna . And I have no idea how to drive with manual transmission, never tried this. :)

Everybody I know have the same thing. Never saw any restrictions on any Dominican license, even for glasses. Maybe it's something very very new.

But honestly I don't know anybody who decided to pass the driving test, all my friends paid 500 or 1000 pesos to skip that.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I was going to reply when yet again those who don't what they are talking about shot from the hip and left trails of misinformation for the unsuspecting and truly uninformed to trip over.

I chose not to bother as is quickly becoming my new M.O. I'll say something once, people may believe me or not that's their choice. I haven't been here long enough to have my brain baked by the sun enough to be so closed minded as to accept the notion that nothing ever changes in this country. My experience, stuff is changing almost daily. What someone did 4 years ago may no longer be possible. The fact is that the way something was done last week, may no longer be possible.

There is a big sign on the wall at the licensing place, "DO NOT tip the driving examiner!" This suggestion was repeated to me by the clerk who processed my info on the day of my practical test. I was also specifically asked type of transmission I wished to use for my test. It was clearly explained to me that if I chose "an automatic" this choice would result in a restriction being placed on my license.

I opted not to have my Canadian License certified because when I called the consulate in Puerto Plata, I was told this can only be done in Santo Domingo. I was not prepared to devote and entire day to that process and I'd rather pluck nose hairs if it means I don't have to sit on a bus for 9 hours. Maybe the consulate could have sent my license to SD, I didn't ask.

No real problem, it just took time and I have a lot of that to spare. End result, I achieved my goal without having to even consider tossing extra money around. A win in my book.

Now if we can just get the few to consider they may not be the oracles they profess to be and/or to stop advising others to break the law to circumvent the system, we'd all be much better off. Especially for the benefit of those who really do want to accomplish something concrete with the least amount of hassle and not be forced to redo it the right way at some later time when Amet points out that the license they have is not valid.

There is no money involved within the licensing office at all. All fees are paid in advance at the bank. There is no opportunity to plunk down $1000 pesos to speed things along. It is possible to spend that money getting from the curb to the office door, but the value one gets for that money is questionable these days. While VIP service may be an option elsewhere, it did not appear to me to be an available option where I was. Everyone did the same thing, paid the same amount, was told not to smile for the picture and were treated pleasantly and efficiently.

Shocking I know, but true. Welcome to the Nueva Rep?blica Dominicana.

please refrain from making dogmatic statements about a subject you do not appear to be fluent in. it is not a good look.

i can point you to several people who have plunked down 1000 pesos for their licenses. as i said, the offer was extended to my friend?s wife. not because you went the correct route means that there are no available shortcuts. in the DR, every venture can be lubricated by a sum of money.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Gorgon,

You've been told before that if you don't like my look, you can make use of the ignore feature that is offered on the forum for free and save yourself some angst.

I am perfectly fine with presenting my experiences in the DR as as a viable alternative to the minority view that buying one's way through the week is the route to go. I'm not lazy, in hurray or incapable of satisfying the documented process. Getting a driver's license at the Puerto Plata office does not require an extra payment to achieve. It doesn't matter to me in the slightest that you know someone who has done that. If the requirements were so onerous at that time, what can I say? It's no longer that way as of two months ago.

Your DR is changing right in front of your nose and I suspect that your critique of me and others who opt not to play by the old rules only reinforces the new reality much to your chagrin. I will continue to point out to those that follow that it is often not necessary to bribe, subvert or cajole your way through daily life here in the DR.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Gorgon,

You've been told before that if you don't like my look, you can make use of the ignore feature that is offered on the forum for free and save yourself some angst.

I am perfectly fine with presenting my experiences in the DR as as a viable alternative to the minority view that buying one's way through the week is the route to go. I'm not lazy, in hurray or incapable of satisfying the documented process. Getting a driver's license at the Puerto Plata office does not require an extra payment to achieve. It doesn't matter to me in the slightest that you know someone who has done that. If the requirements were so onerous at that time, what can I say? It's no longer that way as of two months ago.

Your DR is changing right in front of your nose and I suspect that your critique of me and others who opt not to play by the old rules only reinforces the new reality much to your chagrin. I will continue to point out to those that follow that it is often not necessary to bribe, subvert or cajole your way through daily life here in the DR.

You are correct and getting a Dominican Drivers License is an uncomplicated easy process with a ministry that I found professional ( relatively speaking) , clear on the requirements, and polite. Both my wife and I did the process at the main office off Avenida Mexico I Santo Domingo. My wife went to the Canadian Embassy at 0830, had her certification by 10 am, legalized before 11 am and license before noon.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
OK, Buster... I'll chime in... since much of today's 'class' seems related to me.

Actually my screed wasn't directed to or at you. In my opinion. you conduct and express yourself differently than of the others I was addressing. Your observations tend to suggest that sometimes offering money can be used as an aid to achieve goal as opposed being used to purchase an outcome and that is the substantive difference.

Case in point. When I went for my license, I went in with a complete inability to understand a full sentence in Spanish. I am at the stage where I can handle lots of verbs and nouns, but flowery sentences still pose a challenge. My Pesos paid for a 30 minute video course offered by a "driving school" ahem, and the sage advice to "listen for these six words..." It was the six Spanish words that allowed me to differentiate the correct answer on the screen

No one took the test for me, or prompted me to input the correct answers or even translated the questions into English for me. I sank or swam on my own. This in my eyes this is quite different than paying to circumvent the process or jump from the start to the end. I did not offer payment to "some guy", returned at a later point and picked up a license that was printed and laminated in the back of a Compra Venta down the street nor was I whisked from station to station as a mere formality.

I satisfied the stated requirements for a license on my own armed only with the knowledge that one is expected to posses to be successful. My ayudante was not seen again after my video course and a brief reinforcing conversation before I headed in to take my computer test.

Bending does not equal breaking in my book, you are correct. In my experience during the short time I have known you, I have no reason to believe that you deliberately seek to circumvent "the process" to achieve a result to which you are not qualified, entitled, or for personal financial gain. We all try to make our lives easier but most stop short of that line we all can clearly see in the sand.

As long as someone has driven at least once before and can make the car move forward, passing the practical test is a breeze. There is no backing up, no parking, only one stop sign, very few other cars on the course, no three point turns. There is absolutely no reason to be paying the practical examiner. If on cannot pass this very simple test, really, you have no business operating a vehicle. The 20 question test was a much harder hurdle for me only because I had a hard time understanding the questions, not because I didn't know the correct answers.

The test and the administrative process for a DR driver's license is fair and doable for any driver with past driving experience. At least in Puerto Plata, there is no reason to be paying functionaries within the office itself and I might even go so far as to suggest that doing so offers you not tangible benefit. The computer test results are what they are and cannot be fudged. The practical exam is a mere formality and not challenging at all.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
please refrain from making dogmatic statements about a subject you do not appear to be fluent in. it is not a good look.

i can point you to several people who have plunked down 1000 pesos for their licenses. as i said, the offer was extended to my friend?s wife. not because you went the correct route means that there are no available shortcuts. in the DR, every venture can be lubricated by a sum of money.

Believe me, SDO is ring fenced now on any shortcuts.

Well organized set up there, step by step with each stage confirmed by your fingerprint and recorded on their computerized system to allow you to move forward in the process.

Cheap and easy.

Why waste money getting caught out with something illegal which will not show up on AMET records in an 'event' or renewal?

And you get 'ninguna' on a real license only if you have passed your eye test and had a test with a manual drive.

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
The computer test results are what they are and cannot be fudged.
When my ex-wife needed to go thru the computer test, we said that she is not speaking Spanish at all. They gave us an English speaking officer as a translator. I told him to not only translate the questions for her, but tell her the right answers too. So he did, she passed the test 10/10 (that time it was 10 questions), it was 500 pesos.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Gorgon,

i elect not to ignore you, but to expose your fallacies, your pretensions to expertise notwithstanding. there are people who come here for information, whether it be good, bad , or indifferent. there are certain people in this site who set themselves up as omniscient about the DR, and make statements like yours. what you need to be saying is that you have heard certain things, but you have no first hand knowledge, and, therefore, you are not in a position to offer any definitive position on the subject.

you, on the other hand, make unequivocal remarks about subjects you apparently know nothing about, and in some inflexible manner, as if you know it all.

well, here goes. in capitals.

YOU CAN PLUNK DOWN 1000 PESOS AND NOT HAVE TO DO A DRIVING TEST IN THE DR.