Driving while Gringo (Police corruption alive and well in SD)

Status
Not open for further replies.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
one little note of caution for guys here who might be tempted to listen to suggestions to try to get cops in trouble...

remember you do not know too much about anybody here. you have some courtesy card from Major Moises, but you know little about him, beyond that. he might be a guy from a large family, and the guy you are reporting to him might be his novia's son. not good for you...

get the picture?

May 5, 2007
Many years ago I arrived in Santo Domingo with a friend to attend another friends wedding We were both active duty Navy Lieutenant Commanders

I was stopped as I headed down Lincoln toward the Hotel Santo Domingo by a PN on a motor Myself and guy I was with didn’t speak/understand a bit of Spanish The “officer” did convey that he wanted my license and money

I had placed everything in a “go bag” in the trunk along with neatly folded Mess Dress uniforms Not sure if any of you have seen USN formal uniforms but they look more like a Polish general than something a USN officer would wear The cop took one look at the uniforms, hopped on his motor and last I saw he was headed west toward Haiti

I guess he figured he had stumbled upon a couple US Generalies or however you say it

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
It seems to me there are two relatively easy things you could do which would eliminate some of these problems in the future: 1. Get a Dominican driving licence. 2. Don't carry a gun.

I like #2. When a foreigner feels the need to carry a gun just to drive to Santiago to pick up his wife it is time to look for another destination with palm trees and coconuts.......... just my two pesos

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
In 10 years roadside stops have cost a sum total of a bottle of Gatorade.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
one little note of caution for guys here who might be tempted to listen to suggestions to try to get cops in trouble...

remember you do not know too much about anybody here. you have some courtesy card from Major Moises, but you know little about him, beyond that. he might be a guy from a large family, and the guy you are reporting to him might be his novia's son. not good for you...

get the picture?

Be fair - G

It work the other way around too.... in all fairness

Your man could be the big hitter that shuts things down.... or the reverse

That's why I say it's a tough call.... no crystal ball

Who's man has more clout ???
you may never know....until after
how you do it plays into too... hardball or softball ??

You choose to err on your side.
Best to err on no side - we can agree

But to warn as you're doing might - just might - be overkill

just saying

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Many years ago I arrived in Santo Domingo with a friend to attend another friends wedding We were both active duty Navy Lieutenant Commanders

I was stopped as I headed down Lincoln toward the Hotel Santo Domingo by a PN on a motor Myself and guy I was with didn’t speak/understand a bit of Spanish The “officer” did convey that he wanted my license and money

I had placed everything in a “go bag” in the trunk along with neatly folded Mess Dress uniforms Not sure if any of you have seen USN formal uniforms but they look more like a Polish general than something a USN officer would wear The cop took one look at the uniforms, hopped on his motor and last I saw he was headed west toward Haiti

I guess he figured he had stumbled upon a couple US Generalies or however you say it

yes, ID, en route to Haiti, with only a quick stop to change his drawers...

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
Be fair - G

It work the other way around too.... in all fairness

Your man could be the big hitter that shuts things down.... or the reverse

That's why I say it's a tough call.... no crystal ball

Who's man has more clout ???
you may never know....until after
how you do it plays into too... hardball or softball ??

You choose to err on your side.
Best to err on no side - we can agree

But to warn as you're doing might - just might - be overkill

just saying

I don't think it's overkil at all. I go the route that the esposa takes..She trusts no one..not even la familia.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I'm just saying if more than one outcome is possible....

let's talk about both..

I don't - for a second - propose one solution/reaction is better than the other..
But it sure as hell isn't black & white

No right or wrong here...
Just act the way you feel comfortable ....simple

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I'm just saying if more than one outcome is possible....

let's talk about both..

I don't - for a second - propose one solution/reaction is better than the other..
But it sure as hell isn't black & white

No right or wrong here...
Just act the way you feel comfortable ....simple

since there is the possibility for a bad outcome, err on the side of caution.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I will start a new thread to show just how convoluted the system can be.

Been thinking about today -- after a little incident.

The issue is a lack of logic... in many cases.

Watch for it ---- going now to the press room for typing

JayinRD

Apr 18, 2013
Yet another example of why I WILL NOT DRIVE in this country. Owning and driving a car in this country is a LIABILITY in my opinion.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Yet another example of why I WILL NOT DRIVE in this country. Owning and driving a car in this country is a LIABILITY in my opinion.

Well you won't see most of the good parts of the country then

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I've seen it happen before...

Aha... this guy thinks he's connected ??
Watch this....

Animosity..

I grew up in a small town....and wasn't exactly 'invisible'

Sometimes it works for you.... sometimes against

you learn -- fast !!

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
...I have witnessed this type of shakedown 2 times in Santiago.....both American men driving a rental car........

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Yes indeed. You lost control of the situation. You being a cop this must have been
very hard for you to come to terms with. The old red vain was a throbbing and all
you could do was hand over your hard earned cash, talk about a Kodak moment.
Welcome to life outside of the protection of badge... officer.

If you feel the need to carry a gun down here then perhaps you should just stay home.
Ya lucky he didn't just cock it, stick it back in your face and say "its my gun now mother....".
For 5,000 pesos I'd say you got off lightly because the price of dealing with these thugs
usually doubles once they bring you into the station.

MarkDR

Feb 18, 2016

Perhaps. Perhaps not. In a little while I will be writing a story about a much more traumatic encounter while walking in downtown SD.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Yes indeed. You lost control of the situation. You being a cop this must have been
very hard for you to come to terms with. The old red vain was a throbbing and all
you could do was hand over your hard earned cash, talk about a Kodak moment.
Welcome to life outside of the protection of badge... officer.

If you feel the need to carry a gun down here then perhaps you should just stay home.
Ya lucky he didn't just cock it, stick it back in your face and say "its my gun now mother....".
For 5,000 pesos I'd say you got off lightly because the price of dealing with these thugs
usually doubles once they bring you into the station.

Count it as a "Gun Inspection Fee" and it may have to be paid annually ?

Status
Not open for further replies.