Earthquake - 7.0 Magnitude in Haiti

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
politur just came into all the restaurants in cabarete and said that they all have to close as they have an order from Leonel Fernandez to protect any tourists that may be in the area

I have to say I'm impressed. With a tsunami watch out for the area (however unlikely to occur), it would seem prudent. Imagine IF there were destructive waves & nothing had been done in spite of warning. Again, I'm impressed (I'm also oceanfront on a balcony watching Cabarete Bay waiting for the tsunami :paranoid:)

toursamanawithterry

Jan 30, 2009
I felt it here in my restaurant. It shook the table with my laptop on it and made my stomach feel funny.

No damage here though. It was not that strong here.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Yeah, like only the restaurants would be in danger.

Should something happen, you'd be one of the first screaming that nothing was done even though there were a tsunami watch. Anything is better than nothing and more than I'd have expected. Willing to reconsider your comment? Perhaps they've taken other action as well that's not reported (though I too doubt it).

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
we should probably be more worried about the flooding from all the rain, but better safe than sorry

Big Dan

Feb 14, 2009
Does someone understand what these times mean??
> SANTO DOMINGO 18.5N 69.9W 2337Z 12 JAN

What time is that??

Haven't read through the entire thread.....

2337Z is 11:37 Greenwich mean time. DR is 4 hours behind GMT.

2337Z in local time is 1937, 7:37 pm.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Right now the guy on CNN is saying that Santo Domingo saw a 12 cm tsunami. No big deal, but are tsumanis linear? What does this mean for Barahona? Pedernales? Jacmel? Les Cayes???

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
CNN saying Tsunami watch off for DR. Said there was a 12 inch tsunami in Santo Domingo.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Should something happen, you'd be one of the first screaming that nothing was done even though there were a tsunami watch. Anything is better than nothing and more than I'd have expected. Willing to reconsider your comment? Perhaps they've taken other action as well that's not reported (though I too doubt it).
At the time this was reported being done, the Tsunami watch was over by a long time. In the restaurant or on the streets outside would probably not make much difference, so no, I would not like to reconsider my comments thank you.

Don

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
watching aljazeera english news. According to them: 5.6 rector (spelling) scale after shocks. More buildings collapsed than standing. Dead bodies on the street and general chaos in puerto prince streets. No cell phone functioning towers and no lights. Search and rescue efforts are difficult because no lights and total darkness. parliament building also collapsed and a 5 floor building down. US and other countries will not be there untill tomorrow and many planes would have to land in DR. Seems like major catastrophic conditions in haiti. God help them all.
AZB

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I'm not a huge CNN fan, but they are all over this big time! Good coverage guys :)
Of course Robert!

Haiti + crisis = CNN LIVE

Dominican Republic + 2003 or 2004 earthquake = nothing anywhere except Latin channels.

Haiti + attempting to develop tourism in Jacmel and in need of publicity = nothing from anyone

Haiti + attempting to attract foreign investment = again, nothing from anyone

See the pattern?

Sure, its great they are giving this much attention to this calamity, but.... :ermm:

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
At the time this was reported being done, the Tsunami watch was over by a long time. In the restaurant or on the streets outside would probably not make much difference, so no, I would not like to reconsider my comments thank you.

Don

tsunami center website says waves can come 5 minutes to an hour apart and the first is not necessarily the largest.

I'll stand behind giving credit to the effort. I'm (not) surprised you don't as well. I'd say it's pretty quick and effective response for DR. Kudos are due. An abundance of caution when lives are at stake is warranted. Glad you're not in charge.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Of course Robert!

Haiti + crisis = CNN LIVE

Dominican Republic + 2003 or 2004 earthquake = nothing anywhere except Latin channels.

Haiti + attempting to develop tourism in Jacmel and in need of publicity = nothing from anyone

Haiti + attempting to attract foreign investment = again, nothing from anyone

See the pattern?

Sure, its great they are giving this much attention to this calamity, but.... :ermm:

NALs, agree with you that Haiti is a favored child of news channels... however initial reports out of Haiti seem much more severe than what we experienced here in 2003, so it's perhaps warranted.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Are there tall buildings in PAP? I guess in a way, it is a good thing it is not that developed there...obviously small buildings, even shacks, have a better chance of surviving than poorly designed multi-story structures...

viajar

Feb 19, 2009
Magnitude 7 Earthquake

Magnitude 7.0
Equivent TNT Energy Release 32 megatons or 134.4 PicaJoues
Example Java earthquake (Indonesia), 2009

The 2009 West Java earthquake was a 7.0 magnitude earthquake that occurred on September 2, 2009 at 14:55 local time in West Java, Indonesia,[2] killing at least 79 people, injuring over 1,250, and displacing over 210,000 (including more than 140,000 in Tasikmalaya regency).[1]

Buildings in Bandung and Tasikmalaya, the town closest to the epicenter, were damaged, and hundreds of people were injured.[7] An estimated 18,300 homes and offices were earlier thought to have been damaged. This figure later rose to 87,000.

Source Wikipidia