Edenorte is a disaster

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Yesterday our power became unbalanced. 152 and 85 volts because Edenorte's crappy aluminum wires shorted behind the meter. Ruined my Inverter and I was without power all day until the service crew came to tighten screws.
Today the power has come and gone several times and with my inverter now in the shop I'm without power.
Does anyone know who can replace service drops from aluminum to copper?

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
In November, my wires leading from below my meter to my house caught on fire. Of course, they are not liable and I had to pay to get new wires installed. I was without power for about 15 hours. Today, the power has clicked off six times so far and about the same yesterday.

Reactions: chico bill

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Yesterday our power became unbalanced. 152 and 85 volts because Edenorte's crappy aluminum wires shorted behind the meter. Ruined my Inverter and I was without power all day until the service crew came to tighten screws.
Today the power has come and gone several times and with my inverter now in the shop I'm without power.
We had that problem and paid the local EdeNorte guys to do both our house drops.
I forget how much, they ¨found¨ the wire to do it.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Had the same thing happen when aluminum and copper were twisted together by these dull norms. There was a small fire that burned the connecting wires. It probably took a year before that happened.

Fortunately my inverter was spared.

There is a connector that is designed to "mate" aluminum and copper and it is available here for them to use those very same connectors. That is probably the best that can be done.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
In November, my wires leading from below my meter to my house caught on fire. Of course, they are not liable and I had to pay to get new wires installed. I was without power for about 15 hours. Today, the power has clicked off six times so far and about the same yesterday.
By law, they actually are liable.
It is getting them to pay that is hard.

Protecom.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Sarita can do the work

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Had the same thing happen when aluminum and copper were twisted together by these dull norms. There was a small fire that burned the connecting wires. It probably took a year before that happened.

Fortunately my inverter was spared.

There is a connector that is designed to "mate" aluminum and copper and it is available here for them to use those very same connectors. That is probably the best that can be done.
If I can get copper service drops I will buy copper or brass lugs for new neutral bars and shitcan all aluminum from the system

Reactions: slinger

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
By law, they actually are liable.
It is getting them to pay that is hard.

Protecom.
Which law?
And the power just went out again at 8:56 PM.
The nice thing about having a sinewave inverter you don't realize that the power goes out 5 or 6 times a day from Edenorte.
I sure hope mine is repaired soon.
One thing for sure this country should halt all development until they can figure out how to deliver water and electricity. Because more houses mean more outages.
It's enough to frost your balls even in the Caribbean.
Puerto Rico was bad but the DR takes incompetence to a whole other level.

Reactions: NY-DR Commuter

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
Which law?
The nice thing about having a sinewave inverter you don't realize that the power goes out 5 or 6 times a day from Edenorte.
One thing for sure this country should halt all development until they can figure out how to deliver water and electricity. Because more houses mean more outages.
My inverter is sinewave as well. They reason I know how many times it goes out is because my microwave and hot tub are not connected to the inverter, so I need to reset them. Been brutal for the past 3 days.

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
Agree, Edenorte have been terrible the last few days. Hopefully now it is not raining it will be better. I must ay that over the winter season until today, the power has been pretty good, but these last few days has been a flustercluck!!!

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Which law?
I have no idea, but I do know as well that they are contractually responsible for even damaged items, or so I have understood... We lived a good barrio in POP a bit more than a decade ago, and once Edenorte kindly fried all the kitchen appliances of a neighbor (Dominican carpenter, a very good friend of ours)... His wife was adamant that he should go the office and demand compensation, but he would not as he had better things to do with his time (he had carpentry projects all over the country)... So they are responsible, but it's a whole different story of actually enforcing this... You could go to the super intendent of course...

• Haha
Reactions: Kricke87

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Which law?
The laws concerning power distribution and liabilities of those companies. Edenorte owns everything outside the bounds of your property. Any wiring or transformers outside your property are theirs to "properly" maintain. And if something goes wrong on their side of the wall and blows up your stuff, legally they are liable.

Protecom can verify this. But, as I mentioned, good luck getting them to pay for what is destroyed by them.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I have no idea, but I do know as well that they are contractually responsible for even damaged items, or so I have understood... We lived a good barrio in POP a bit more than a decade ago, and once Edenorte kindly fried all the kitchen appliances of a neighbor (Dominican carpenter, a very good friend of ours)... His wife was adamant that he should go the office and demand compensation, but he would not as he had better things to do with his time (he had carpentry projects all over the country)... So they are responsible, but it's a whole different story of actually enforcing this... You could go to the super intendent of course...
Yes but you could spend months if not years trying to collect.
Kind of like getting your car fixed with collision insurance in DR, you are better off not paying the higher insurance and pay for accident damage yourself and not have to spend hours to get reports from Digesett, file with the insurance company and the cheap & over-crowded and marginal quality body shops they direct you to use.

Reactions: cavok and SKY

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Sad but true. Going through Protecom, they are not likely to be very Pro-Active. I tried to deal with them on similar and other issues, and they provided no relief.
Kind of like getting your car fixed with collision insurance in DR, you are better off not paying the higher insurance and pay for accident damage yourself and not have to spend hours to get reports from Digesett, file with the insurance company and the cheap & over-crowded and marginal quality body shops they direct you to use.
Agreed in most cases as well.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I bought a brand new Jeepeta with the money I saved from NOT taking full insurance here. Total ripoff. And if you have an accident with injuries using the Ley Insurance the company pays for injuries to the other party. And I have been there, done that...................

Reactions: XQT

XQT

Dec 7, 2022
Puerto Plata
Which law?

The whole country is a desaster.
Absence of services, quality and education.
Any clerk is the supreme leader.
High costs and zero professionalism.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
I know they can but finding the right person to talk to is the issue. I stopped to talk to some members working nearby in a truck today but I would have gotten more response from my dogs
Different day.. same problem.........if you want electric and water use solar panels, and have you own well..........