El Toro Closed By Police

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I agree with some of what you said, but not about the warning. There have been plenty of warnings.This was not the first bar in Sosua closed for same reason.

If you are a slow learner, or believe it is all talk but no action, then you can't whine if you have to pay the price.

Come on guys, if this was a setup there was nothing the owner could do. 4 underage walk in and before the owner of employee has the chance to tell them to leave, BANG they're raided. This is the first time el Toro was raided. I know the owner and he was trying to get his bar up and running. He was just starting to succeed. You could go in there and have a few beers with your friends without being propositioned. (One of the few places iin town). Now I need to find another place in town for my 5 PM Beer ;)

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
El Toro is a bar open to the sidewalk. Passers by often talk to patrons seated there. Sometimes a girl will try to sit down uninvited or hang around. Early evening people pass on their way from the beach to their home.
There is noting sinister if a girl sits down to have a water or soft drink, especially from 5-8.
No difference to the open bars /restaurants on P.C.
In Europe people take their children to pubs no problem.
Don't know at what time the raid was on Sunday night, but it sounds more like a which hunt on a slow night.
It would be a very different scenario if an underage girl is employed in an enclosed environment such as Passions.
El Toro also sells the cheapest beer.

As it is, there are not many tourists around and fewer may come for Dec-Mar, the rest of the year is dead anyway.
Good luck to business owners!

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Why did they pick El Toro, only, to raid that night? Why not D'Latin.

@ Ram - The para military SWAT team did a lockdown/ID check @ D'Latin Drink on August 1 or 2nd, if I recall.
All the gates were shut, and they checked every ID, this took 15 minutes, nobody was detained.

It seems they only pick one bar per night. Not a bad idea to carry passport copy 24/7.

Last edited:

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
@ Ram - The para military SWAT team did a lockdown/ID check on August 1 or 2nd, if I recall.
All the gates were shut, and they checked every ID, this took 15 minutes, nobody was detained.

It seems they only pick one bar per night. Not a bad idea to carry passport copy 24/7.

Thanks Tambo...did not know this. I never carry ID...I think it may be time.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
I was there and it is their agenda. No red zone, tolerence "0". It's all a matter of time.

I agree. They are making a Planning & Zoning Adjustment, they just do it differently then the way it's done in the States.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
so realistically speaking, if you did not attend the bars/clubs and massage parlors, you could actually have a very nice time in sosua ? is that the message i'm hearing from these raids ?

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
There definitely appears to be an agenda to destroy the present Sosua.
But:
One has to break eggs to make an omelette!
Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be an omelette forthcoming.

Hopefully it's to clear the way for Disneyland Sosua which will be soon opening.
(Maybe they could use the site of the "Sosua Hospital" which seems to have 'slightly' stopped?)

BTW. Could anyone here clarify the laws on serving to children in bars and restaurants? I see many families with kids together in local bars etc.What is the criteria?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
At least call them cueros, come on Windy!

English language forum rules or else I would.

As far as the comment about the new minister of tourism and the agenda, i have not been to a meeting, but others have been to those meetings and reported back about the plans to curtail prostitution. It was reported on DR1 news as printed in the DR newspapers that this agenda comes directly from the highest office of the law in the DR in Santo Domingo. Johns will be arrested. There have been many threads about this, the cries of what will the women do to feed their babies, how tourism will disappear, etc, etc, etc..

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
But:

Hopefully it's to clear the way for Disneyland Sosua which will be soon opening.
(Maybe they could use the site of the "Sosua Hospital" which seems to have 'slightly' stopped?)

BTW. Could anyone here clarify the laws on serving to children in bars and restaurants? I see many families with kids together in local bars etc.What is the criteria?

That is a very good question to how that works here for bars vs restaurants.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Void

On a happy note: El Toro shut down, to be reopened as La Vaca Bar. Since the police rolled with the balls away...

Wrong,
It will be called The Void.
The free range vacas are also being rounded up on the highway.
No Vacas nor vaqueros left.:cross-eye

cjp2010

Mar 25, 2013
But:

Minors are allowed in restaurants but just not allowed to drink. E.g. Britannia, Baileys, etc. Minors are not allowed in bars period. E.g. D'Latin, El Flow, El Toro, etc. The big thing is what makes a restaurant a restaurant and not a bar. All the restaurants serve alcohol. Some of the bars (like Rumba) serve food. So how objective or subjective is that judgment by the authorities. Is it based on how loud the music is, how big the menu is, etc. I can't think of any bars or restaurants in Sosua right now where you have a hard time determining if the primary business is restaurant based or bar based but that doesn't mean there won't ever be one some day that is a good 50/50 split.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
What happens on the beach? I have hung around plenty of times with a girlfriend and her kids at a beach bar that does not serve food. Are they going to stop this too?

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete

That's right. I think it will soon just be an empty pan with nothing cooking, unless they come up with some new ingredients pretty quickly!

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I know threads on Passions were closed, but I guess enough time has now passed to ask what is the latest on that? A few days ago I saw a photo allegedly showing the owner in jail. If they don't want open bars with the possibility of underage chicas walking in off the street, a place like Passions, where the girls are known and all the activity goes on behind closed doors would be preferable, I would have thought. As long as they pay their dues to the powers that be, of course! ;)